Delta Bets on A220 out of DFW

jimntx

Veteran
Jun 28, 2003
Dallas, TX
www.usaviation.com
Delta to start growing presence at DFW again. Will overgrown RJs do the trick? 109 seat airplanes with 12 seat First Class on routes such as DFW-LGA. This is the plane being built for Airbus by Bombardier. Seating configuration is same as MD-80: 2 and 2 in First Class, 2 and 3 in Coach.

Considering that I remember when some complained that the B737 was too small after we no longer flew 757s and 767s on the DFW-LGA route, it will be interesting to see if a plane smaller than the MD-80 will attract flyers. (Of course the reason that 757 and 767 were so longed for? There were 22-24 Business Class seats on 757 and as many as 30 on 767. More opportunities for Exec Platinums to get upgraded. :rolleyes:. Not judgin', just sayin'.)

https://www.dallasnews.com/business...ness-travelers-dallas-houston-new-a220-planes

A new airplane is always nice. However, I still wonder if it is enough to attract flyers from AA to DL. Most frequent flyers are still going to think RJ with an airplane this size, and shudder at the thought of a flight as long as DFW-LGA in a "small" airplane. The only reason we (AA) were able to make that Bentonville, Ark to LAX flight on AE work is that it was the only way to get there other than change planes in DFW from AE to mainline. DFW-LGA has a good bit of 737/A321 equipment already.

There's also the issue of how DL "abandoned" its hub at DFW after 9/11. I had more than one customer on AA who was still bitter about that episode. I had to bite my tongue to keep from saying, "It was (fill in the blank) years ago. Every airline was just trying to survive at the time. Get over it."

A new airplane is always nice. However, I still wonder if it is enough to attract flyers from AA to DL. Most frequent flyers are still going to think RJ with an airplane this size, and shudder at the thought of a flight as long as DFW-LGA in a "small" airplane. The only reason we (AA) were able to make that Bentonville, Ark to LAX flight on AE work is that it was the only way to get there other than change planes in DFW from AE to mainline. DFW-LGA has a good bit of 737/A321 equipment already.

There's also the issue of how DL "abandoned" its hub at DFW after 9/11. I had more than one customer on AA who was still bitter about that episode. I had to bite my tongue to keep from saying, "It was (fill in the blank) years ago. Every airline was just trying to survive at the time. Get over it."
Basically Delta wasn't going to get into a price war with American, and SWA trying to keep a hub at DFW, their best assets at the time in 2001 was Atlanta, and other East coast assets. So it was a pure business decision, it sucked some of my friends lost their jobs.

Just curious...Any of you Delta-ites have any load information on the A220s? It looks like a very sharp airplane. If AA would buy this plane, we might get mainline service to BHM and HSV again. [My hometown (BHM) and airport closest to my brother's home (HSV).] But I'm not just thinking of my convenience, of course.;)

Actually, I meant AA mainline service to BHM and/or HSV might transpire. But, then, if AA bought any of the A220s, they would probably configure them with 149 seats (keeps mandatory cabin staff at 2 flight attendants) and negate all of the reasons for buying them in the first place.

Just curious...Any of you Delta-ites have any load information on the A220s? It looks like a very sharp airplane. If AA would buy this plane, we might get mainline service to BHM and HSV again. [My hometown (BHM) and airport closest to my brother's home (HSV).] But I'm not just thinking of my convenience, of course.;)
It's very fuel-efficient with its geared Fan. Nice looking airplane.