Delta Dodges US Airways

Status
Not open for further replies.

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Delta Dodges US Airways

What's wrong with a (US Airways) deal with Northwest? How about nothing? Remember, for all that's great about Delta -- and there's plenty -- it's still the No. 3 carrier domestically. Furthermore, the airline has nowhere near the global reach of United or American. A deal with Northwest might have remedied that.

Alas, Delta's now left where it was before US Airways: a high-rent legacy carrier with empty pockets and a dwindling array of profitable domestic routes. Do you really believe that's a business worth your investment? Not me.

See Story

US Airways had the money, but Delta had the clock on its side

Even as its takeover bid unravels, US Airways shares are up almost 14%

See Story

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Humm I see we are back to hiding behind the key board..... As they say, you are what YOU post. :up:

Have a great weekend who ever you are..... I'm leaving now to spend a couple of days with my wife for the first time in a month. I'll catch you from Canada next week.

I don't know who the biggest retard is.

A long haired, Iron City Beer drinking Pittsburg Steeler fan that can't let go of the 1970's or an idiot posting on this board using the name longing4piedmont, that can't let go of the 1980's.

Interesting take on the article posted by USA320.

U.S. Airways is unlikely to return later with an offer and may itself be approached for takeover by another carrier, possibly United Airlines, observers said.

Article said: U.S. Airways is unlikely to return later with an offer and may itself be approached for takeover by another carrier, possibly United Airlines, observers said.

Luv2fly said: "Interesting take on the article posted by USA320."

USA320Pilot comments: How many times have we seen this story before?

Separately, I believe Doug Parker wants to run the show, and if so, the only way a US Airways - United deal would proceed would be if there is a deal similar in scope to what the two companies previously code worded "Project Minnow".

I'm not sure how Parker will react following his disappointment that the Delta deal did not proceed, but I believe he already has an idea on what he is going to do next.

In a few short year's he has been in discussion on 3 separate corporate transactions that were made public: ATA, US Airways, and Delta. It appears he wants to be the hunter not the hunted, but who knows how this will unfold.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

U.S. Airways is unlikely to return later with an offer and may itself be approached for takeover by another carrier, possibly United Airlines, observers said.

The only way that will happen is to dump DCA and stick with IAD. That was the sticking point last time. If they are willing to bite that bullet every airline would be falling over each other for those slots.

I wonder if there were any other plans besides DC AIR?

I'm not sure how Parker will react following his disappointment that the Delta deal did not proceed, but I believe he already has an idea on what he is going to do next.

In a few short year's he has been in discussion on 3 separate corporate transactions that were made public: ATA, US Airways, and Delta. It appears he wants to be the hunter not the hunted, but who knows how this will unfold.

Regards,

USA320Pilot [/font]

I think he needs to work on repairing the image of the company, considering it's history, and start to repair those bridges. Whatever he puts his sight on now, I doubt very much it would be well received by the DOT.

That is really an exaggerated speculation. With the current marketcap on U, it would probably take something like $15 billion to buy USAirways. I don't think there is a company out there, other than GE, Google or EXXON that could afford to buy USairways.

United needs to first make a profit before it wanders over to the "take-over gang".

Delta Dodges US Airways

Regards,

USA320Pilot
Has your little brain explored the possiblity yet that LCC shares have trended up since the merger unravelled because the market thought the merger was a bad idea?

Delta Dodges US Airways

What's wrong with a (US Airways) deal with Northwest? How about nothing? Remember, for all that's great about Delta -- and there's plenty -- it's still the No. 3 carrier domestically. Furthermore, the airline has nowhere near the global reach of United or American. A deal with Northwest might have remedied that.

Alas, Delta's now left where it was before US Airways: a high-rent legacy carrier with empty pockets and a dwindling array of profitable domestic routes. Do you really believe that's a business worth your investment? Not me.

See Story

See Story

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Different day, same old USA320Pilot. I like how you skillfully cherry-pick quotes from the article that fit your agenda. Bravo. Here's some interesting tidbits you chose to leave out,

"No doubt some will argue that a deal with US Airways was bad from the start. For the record, I agree. Even though overlapping routes and massive layoffs would have provided billions in cost savings, there's still a labor schism between the former employees of USAir and America West. Adding Delta's workers to the mix could have proven too toxic to produce the profits US Airways CEO Doug Parker imagined."

Not exactly a resounding endorsement of said merger is it? And did he say massive layoffs?

As for the authors comments about DAL being a high-rent Legacy carrier with empy pockets? Pre-bankruptcy, he was dead on, however, once we exit bankruptcy we'll have appx. $2.7 billion in unrestricted cash on hand, LCC has somewhere around $2.5-2.7 correct, though i'm not sure if all of it is unrestricted. As for our cost structure post bankrupcy,we wil have reduced costs and improved unit revenues, positioning the airline to emerge from Chapter 11 with the lowest unit costs of any network carrier.

So begs the question, why is LCC so hungry for a merger/hostile takeover??? Simple, they can't survive with the present route structure. If you consider DAL's route structure weak, what would you call LCC's?

I thought the following quote from Doogie was a wonderful spin-job on the attempted hostile takeover, enjoy,

"How large would the merged airline be?"

"Internationally, we would have flights to five continents (Europe, Asia, North and South America and Africa). We would be the number one airline across the Atlantic and have the second strongest position in the Caribbean."

WOW, sounds great!!! Hold on a sec., WE, meaning DAL already have flights to five continents, 3rd in the Caribbean behind AA and CAL, and we're already the #1 carrier across the Atlantic. Let's see, LCC doesn't have ANY flights to Asia, South America and Africa. So what the HELL was Doogie talking about? This merger gave DAL nothing with regards to Inernational service. When you only have 19 widebodies, your options are rather limited. Meet Doogie Parker, master of the spin. :cool:

Delta Dodges US Airways

See Story

See Story

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Deleted by NYCDelta

I think he needs to work on repairing the image of the company, considering it's history, and start to repair those bridges. Whatever he puts his sight on now, I doubt very much it would be well received by the DOT.

Who Cares What You Think..You Left US So BAH..BAH.. <_<

Different day, same old USA320Pilot. I like how you skillfully cherry-pick quotes from the article that fit your agenda. Bravo. Here's some interesting tidbits you chose to leave out,

"No doubt some will argue that a deal with US Airways was bad from the start. For the record, I agree. Even though overlapping routes and massive layoffs would have provided billions in cost savings, there's still a labor schism between the former employees of USAir and America West. Adding Delta's workers to the mix could have proven too toxic to produce the profits US Airways CEO Doug Parker imagined."

Not exactly a resounding endorsement of said merger is it? And did he say massive layoffs?

As for the authors comments about DAL being a high-rent Legacy carrier with empy pockets? Pre-bankruptcy, he was dead on, however, once we exit bankruptcy we'll have appx. $2.7 billion in unrestricted cash on hand, LCC has somewhere around $2.5-2.7 correct, though i'm not sure if all of it is unrestricted. As for our cost structure post bankrupcy,we wil have reduced costs and improved unit revenues, positioning the airline to emerge from Chapter 11 with the lowest unit costs of any network carrier.

So begs the question, why is LCC so hungry for a merger/hostile takeover??? Simple, they can't survive with the present route structure. If you consider DAL's route structure weak, what would you call LCC's?

I thought the following quote from Doogie was a wonderful spin-job on the attempted hostile takeover, enjoy,

"How large would the merged airline be?"

"Internationally, we would have flights to five continents (Europe, Asia, North and South America and Africa). We would be the number one airline across the Atlantic and have the second strongest position in the Caribbean."
WOW, sounds great!!! Hold on a sec., WE, meaning DAL already have flights to five continents, 3rd in the Caribbean behind AA and CAL, and we're already the #1 carrier across the Atlantic. Let's see, LCC doesn't have ANY flights to Asia, South America and Africa. So what the HELL was Doogie talking about? This merger gave DAL nothing with regards to Inernational service. When you only have 19 widebodies, your options are rather limited. Meet Doogie Parker, master of the spin. :cool:

Why Don't You Go Back To Your Boring Delta Board!! <_<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts