Delta Flight Attendants Meet at Winpisinger Center

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
Nore than two dozen Flight Attendants from Delta Air Lines took part in a three-day planning session at the Winpisinger Center to promote their ongoing campaign to win IAM representation .
Delta Air Lines Flight Attendants met this week at the Winpisinger Center for three days of organizing training, strategy sessions and planning.

The training began with presentations from IAM instructors and attorneys on IAM history, National Mediation Board rules and regulations and organizing under the Railway Labor Act. Activists engaged in break-out sessions and devised specific plans to meet the needs of a diverse group of Flight Attendant professionals from different locations.

“This week was extremely informative and it’s obvious the IAM has the resources and the ability to address Flight Attendant issues,” said Delta Flight Attendant Julianna Helminski. "This week we started training with a group of interested activists and left with proud IAM union leaders."
The IAM-Delta Flight Attendant organizing campaign began in the summer of 2012 by a group of grassroots activists acting on their own accord. The movement has grown to include hundreds of activists with thousands of cards signed to date. The campaign received official IAM support in November.

“The activists leaders are very enthusiastic and fully understand the task before them,” said Transportation GVP Sito Pantoja. “We fully support the efforts of the Delta Flight Attendants.”

The IAM is the largest airline union in North America.

Reactions: 1 person
I have to ask...are these activists former NW f/as? What has led them to believe that a union representation election will be anymore successful this time than the countless past attempts? When it comes fending off the unions, this is not DL's first rodeo you know. I'm not against the attempt, but it does seem a little soon. And, with a company the size of DL, not an inexpensive effort.

And, with their current pay rates, benefits, and work rules compared to the rest of us, what can a union bring to the DL f/as other than an additional deduction from their paycheck each month? What are the issues that would make voting for representation the thing to do?

Reactions: 2 people
I have to ask...are these activists former NW f/as?

Both "sides" are actively involved.

What has led them to believe that a union representation election will be anymore successful this time than the countless past attempts?

This campaign started-and more or less continues- to be a grassroots campaign. IOW, it's being built from the ground up, and is quite different from what you and I might recognize as a traditional one. They know what's worked previously, and what hasn't, and are using that to build momentum.

And make no mistake- that momentum is very real.

When it comes fending off the unions, this is not DL's first rodeo you know. I'm not against the attempt, but it does seem a little soon. And, with a company the size of DL, not an inexpensive effort.

Definitely not their first rodeo, but (truly) organized people can overcome organized money.

As for the timeline, I don't think it's too soon at all. Why do you say that?

And, with their current pay rates, benefits, and work rules compared to the rest of us, what can a union bring to the DL f/as other than an additional deduction from their paycheck each month? What are the issues that would make voting for representation the thing to do?

Consistent application of policy and procedure, a legally binding agreement, wage/work/benefit rules that can't "be changed at anytime, for any reason." recourse against unjust discipline, and so on.

And really, the work rules aren't the manna from heaven some people would like you to think they are, nor have the pay restorations been anywhere near as significant as the company would like everyone to believe.

Jim back in 1992, the US fleet service, customer service and res agents were non-union, the company took away their vacation time, sick time, oji time, froze their pension, cut 40% of the work force to part-time, contracted out mail, freight, cargo, express ground handling and most of catering.

Since the agents were forced to part time which capped their hours at a max of 25 per week, their family medical shot to over $300 a month.

You had to have almost 14 years to keep full time in CLT on the ramp, I had three years in maintenance and we are unionized so they had to negotiate cuts with us and I kept my full time employment.

Having a union makes a big difference.

Ask Kev how he fared in Chapter 11 vs a DL ramper.

Yet another "grassroots" campaign. Since 1993, my coworkers and I have been pursued by the AFA, TWU, ADFA (AFA+TWU), and now the IAM. All start with a "grassroots campaign." Twenty years later, I am still not interested.

ah

Reactions: 5 people
I guess there will always be some group that will want union representation . My experience when talking to the f/a's that I have flown with is very shallow interest The only ones that even voice displeasure are from dtw. But it is not about a union it is about how to work the system. How to maximize their time off and number of hours. Pay and benefits never come up and I ask. That's just my observation but then again I have no agenda

Reactions: 2 people
My observation has been one of quite passionate interest. Pay and benefits (especially insurance, lately) come up often. So do the reduced hours at the bases, the farce that is IFS' sick time program and more.

Speaking of "working the system," ending that seems to be an overarching goal with those I speak with.

Well, don't think that being unionized is going to save them any money on insurance. I'm in a union, and my medical insurance went from $38/month in December to $120+/month in January. My annual deductible went from $150/yr to $750/yr, but as FWAAA and Eolesen would point out I got a raise in the LBFO--$90 month gross. At last, Mother can have that operation.

I know several DL f/as, and the sentiments expressed by aislehopper and metopower seems to be the prevailing attitude toward unions.

You cant compare bankruptcy forced negotiations and concessions to normal section 6 negotiations, you werent bargaining with any position of strength.

Because Section 1113 process is only for existing CBAs, if you dont have a CBA there isnt a process to abrogate or force a CBA on a groups seeking their first CBA.

US filed chapter 11 the second time for various reasons, labor not being the main reason, we had all ready given them almost $1 billion on concessions between all the groups.

Well, don't think that being unionized is going to save them any money on insurance.

It did for me. Paying $46/mo. in dues was saving me over $100/mo. in premium costs alone compared to non-contract people with the exact.same.plan at NW.

That said, going forward, the goal may be towards improved coverage, a cap on premium increases, and so on. The plans currently offered at DL are a step backwards from we had at NW for many people.

I'm in a union, and my medical insurance went from $38/month in December to $120+/month in January. My annual deductible went from $150/yr to $750/yr, but as FWAAA and Eolesen would point out I got a raise in the LBFO--$90 month gross. At last, Mother can have that operation.

You do know that a base rate increase doesn't always equate to an increase in total compensation, right?

NOTE: It's early for me, so if this is some of the traditional Jimntx droll wit, and I'm missing it, I apologize.

I know several DL f/as, and the sentiments expressed by aislehopper and metopower seems to be the prevailing attitude toward unions.

Meh.

BTW, Meto *has* a union.

It did for me. Paying $46/mo. in dues was saving me over $100/mo. in premium costs alone compared to non-contract people with the exact.same.plan at NW.

That said, going forward, the goal may be towards improved coverage, a cap on premium increases, and so on. The plans currently offered at DL are a step backwards from we had at NW for many people.

And, the increase in premiums at AA came with a cut in benefits/coverage as well. So, I wouldn't necessarily lay the loss in benefits at the foot of losing your union representation.

Do you not understand your company is in chapter 11 bankruptcy and you were in concessionary bargaining?

If you werent in a union the company could have done anything they wanted too without talking and just implemented it.

What did they do to the non-union agents?

Latest posts