Delta named Airline of the Year by Air Transport World

chucky

Senior
Sep 13, 2006
Delta named Airline of the Year by Air Transport World

Airline is first U.S. carrier to win coveted award in a decade

Delta Air Lines7 minutes ago

ATLANTA, Jan. 23, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Delta Air Lines (DAL) has been named the 2014 Airline of the Year by Air Transport World magazine, the first time for a U.S. carrier in a decade.
The ATW awards are among the most coveted and valued honors in the airline industry. In February 2014, ATW editors will present the 40[SIZE=inherit]th[/SIZE] Annual Airline Industry Achievement Awards at a celebration in Singapore.

"It's an honor to have the hard work of Delta people recognized with the Airline of the Year award from Air Transport World," said Richard Anderson, Delta's chief executive officer. "Our values and culture are the foundation for our success. The professionalism and commitment of Delta people to our company, to one another and to our customers is unmatched."

yahoo.com/news/delta-named-airline-air-transport-150000007.html

Reactions: 1 person
Great job everyone!  
in choosing Delta, ATW noted:
editors cited leadership in several categories, including innovation and leadership by executive management; strong financial discipline; a consistent and excellent safety record; proven leadership in community, environmental and technological endeavors; consistent high standards of customer service; and excellent employee relations.   

repeat 
high standards of customer service, and EXCELLENT EMPLOYEE RELATIONS  

Reactions: 4 people
DL is really firing all cylinders right now and doing a great job. Some will always find fault with things in any organization but on the whole it seems employees are happy. I heard they are making enhancements to international YC amenities, apparently they now do a hot towel service in YC before the first meal service and have printed menu cards too.

Josh

BABABOOY said:
EXCELLENT EMPLOYEE RELATIONS[/size]
It's easy to have "excellent employee relations" when most of the company is under At Will employment.

As for the rest of it. I agree; we're the best in the business- that's you, me, all of us.

737823 said:
DL is really firing all cylinders right now and doing a great job. Some will always find fault with things in any organization but on the whole it seems employees are happy. I heard they are making enhancements to international YC amenities, apparently they now do a hot towel service in YC before the first meal service and have printed menu cards too.

Josh
There is a difference between what is happening on a macro scale (most of it good), and what occurs at the micro (or base/station) level (much of it bad)...

Congrats to all of Delta's stakeholders for building upon and surpassing what has made DL grat for 80 plus years....

Boarding a flight right now at MSP....which is both a huge asset to DL and reflective of the best DL values

Reactions: 3 people
So wt what ur saying is thanks to the idiots who make their 6 digit figures are to be congradulated for dl huge profits.. tell us have any one of them ever worked for the airline at any airport they serve? Have they ever had to deal w customers? Have they ever had to deice planes? Load n unload aircraft in all kinds of weather? Id bet not! Congrats to all the actual hardworking delta folks above the wing and below the wings for job well done

how does "congrats to all of the hard-working folks at UA" on the UA forum turn into this?

Did you run that response by your dad before you posted it?

If you did, he would tell you that DL has long had a traditional of promoting from within. You would be hard pressed to find someone at the VP level of any airline that doesn't have direct operational experience. That isn't restricted just to DL.

Once you get into executive level mgmt at most companies, the ability to see the big picture becomes more important than knowing all of the details. That is why you have very good people working with and for you who can make sure together you understand the environment and work thru strategies together.

I'm sorry, robbed, but any good business is run by a team cooperatively working together. It isn't about peons vs. higher ups or one department vs. another.

DL is running as well as it is because there is a level of cooperation and joint purpose that is very rare in the airline industry. To their credit, WN is what it is because they have been built around that concept.

Yes, I have worked in several frontline capacities in the airline industry.

Further, the average annual salary for mainline pilots is well into the six figures and it is very possible for other employees, including mechanics, to gross 6 figures.

Congrats to ALL DL employees and their customers and stockholders who all win with this award.

No wt I dont have to run crap by my dad or anyone. My dad always praised the employees he also recognize their efforts. You on the other hand in ur earlier post you made it sound like the clowns who run it got all the credit. Reality of the fact is the employees who do the actual work are the ones who deserve the credit

robbedagain said:
No wt I dont have to run crap by my dad or anyone. My dad always praised the employees he also recognize their efforts. You on the other hand in ur earlier post you made it sound like the clowns who run it got all the credit. Reality of the fact is the employees who do the actual work are the ones who deserve the credit
no I didn't.

are you stumbling over the word "stakeholder?"

stakeholder means anyone that has an interest in an issue. frontline employees are most definitely stakeholders in a company.

World English Dictionary
stakeholder (ˈsteɪkˌhəʊldə)

— n
1. a person or group owning a significant percentage of a company's shares
2. a person or group not owning shares in an enterprise but affected by or having an interest in its operations, such as the employees, customers, local community, etc

robbed,

stakeholders are ANYONE that has an interest in an issue.

It includes customers, employees, and SHAREHOLDERS.

SHAREHOLDERS are entities that own stock or ownership in a company.

Shareholders and stakeholders are not the same thing.

Perhaps you think that SHAREHOLDERS don't care about employees - but SHAREHOLDERS want what creates the most money.

Baba highlighted that ATW awarded DL in part because of their labor relations that are much better than the rest of the industry.

Again, no one here seems to mind noting that WN has good labor relations but they, and you, struggle to admit that DL and other more heavily non-union companies can have good labor relations.

DL's EMPLOYEES are STAKEHOLDERS, they get along better with management than their peers at other airlines, and DL's employees are gaining financially because of the positive labor environment that exists at DL and which ATW noted.

Reactions: 4 people
In part bec dl has better relations that part should be corrected to Dl pays more money to keep unions away. That is where I compare them to walmart. Piedmont did the same thing I know

secondly stake holders are also the same class of clowns who do not care for the employees they only care about their 6 digit figures. Business 101. May be in your eyes dl employees get along w mgmt... but I will take kev words or glenns words over yours given theyre active employees and ur not.

while wn has good relations w their employees their fight is still ongoing wn wants to outsource swamt can answer that better. Im glad dl got the award but they got it bec of the hardworking employees of delta not their mgmt or ceo or the stake holders who all sit behind a desk and computer