Delta Ranked #1, well actually #1-#35

magsau

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Hey WT, may I extend a salute to you on this accomplishment. How can we show our appreciation for a job well done by you on this significant milestone in aviation. I suspect that from the amount of time you devote to web boards this might just have your fingerprints all over it. Too much typing and not enough bag loading and pushbacks. Anyway, may I say Bravo and let us know what you plan for an encore?
------------------------------------------------------

Three separate flights -- all on Delta regional partners -- arrived late every day they flew in August. The three flights: Atlantic Southeast Flight 4503 from Atlanta to Peoria, Ill.; Comair Flight 5162 from New York JFK to Buffalo; and Comair Flight 5596 from New York JFK to Buffalo. On average, all three flights arrived late by an average of at least 49 minutes. That's according to the DOT's Air Travel Consumer Report (page 14, PDF file) for August, the latest month for which data is available.
Overall, Delta and its partners fared poorly in this category, with 39 of the nation's 42 most-frequently delayed flights from August operated under the Delta banner. In fact, it's not until there's a seven-way tie for the nation's 35th most-frequently delayed flight that there's a non-Delta branded flight (two on US Airways, one on AirTran).
Click below "Read More" to see a flight-by-flight list of August's 42 most chronically delayed flights.

Flights most-frequently arriving late in August 2006
Rank-Flight (percentage late)
1. Delta partner Atlantic Southeast Airlines (ASA) Flight 4503 from Atlanta to Peoria, Ill. (arrived late 100% of the time in August)
1. Delta partner Comair Flight 5162 from New York JFK to Buffalo (100%)
1. Delta partner Comair Flight 5596 from New York JFK to Buffalo (100%)
4. Delta partner Comair Flight 5590 from New York JFK to Burlington, Vt. (96.77%)
4. Delta partner Comair Flight 5073 from New York JFK to Atlanta (96.77%)
4. Delta partner Comair Flight 5285 from Atlanta to Raleigh/Durham (96.77%)
7. Delta partner Comair Flight 5040 from New York JFK to Rochester (96.3%)
8. Delta partner Comair Flight 5520 from White Plaines, N.Y., to Atlanta (93.55%)
8. Delta partner Comair Flight 5334 from Atlanta to Asheville, N.C. (93.55%)
8. Delta partner ASA Flight 4440 from Atlanta to Kinston, N.C. (93.55%)
11. Delta partner ASA Flight 4425 from Atlanta to Wilmington, N.C. (92.59%)
11. Delta partner ASA Flight 4394 from Bloomington, Ill., to Atlanta (92.59%)
11. Delta partner Comair Flight 5036 from New York JFK to Richmond (92.59%)
11. Delta partner ASA Flight 4371 from Atlanta to Fayetteville, N.C. (92.59%)
11. Delta partner Comair Flight 5145 from Asheville, N.C., to Atlanta (92.59%)
11. Delta partner Comair Flight 5306 from New York JFK to Pittsburgh (92.59%)
11. Delta partner ASA Flight 4507 from Harrisburg, Pa., to Atlanta (92.59%)
11. Delta partner Comair Flight 5357 from New York JFK to Rochester (92.59%)
19. Delta partner Comair Flight 5189 from Lexington, Ky., to Atlanta (92.31%)
19. Delta partner Comair Flight 5077 from Atlanta to Lexington, Ky. (92.31%)
21. Delta partner ASA Flight 4120 from Atlanta to Augusta, Ga. (92%)
21. Delta partner ASA Flight 4618 from Atlanta to Syracuse (92%)
23. Delta partner Comair Flight 5541 from New York JFK to Cleveland (91.3%)
24. Delta partner ASA Flight 4526 from Tallahassee to Atlanta (90.91%)
25. Delta partner ASA Flight 4824 from Atlanta to Wichita (90.32%)
25. Delta partner ASA Flight 4515 from Atlanta to Roanoke, Va. (90.32%)
25. Delta partner Comair Flight 5094 from Atlanta to New York JFK (90.32%)
25. Delta Flight 873 from New York JFK to Seattle (90.32%)
25. Delta Flight 1489 from New York JFK to San Francisco (90.32%)
25. Delta partner Comair Flight 5388 from New York JFK to Boston (90.32%)
25. Delta partner ASA Flight 4237 from Panama City, Fla., to Atlanta (90.32%)
25. Delta partner ASA Flight 4106 from Mobile, Ala., to Atlanta (90.32%)
25. Delta partner ASA Flight 4158 from Atlanta to Westchester County, N.Y. (90.32%)
25. Delta partner Comair Flight 5015 from Raleigh-Durham to New York LaGuardia (90.32%)
35. Delta partner ASA Flight 4122 from Augusta, Ga., to Atlanta (88.89%)
35. AirTran Flight 579 from Newark to Atlanta (88.89%)
35. Delta partner ASA Flight 4931 from Atlanta to Shreveport, La. (88.89%)
35. Delta partner Comair Flight 5062 from Atlanta to Charlestown, W. Va. (88.89%)
35. US Airways Flight 465 from Newark to Charlotte (88.89%)
35. Delta partner ASA Flight 4425 from New York JFK to Cleveland (88.89%)
35. Delta partner Comair Flight 5411 from Wilmington, N.C., to Atlanta (88.89%)
35. US Airways Flight 1105 from Newark to Charlotte (88.89%)

wow, that's almost as bad as this:

United Airlines scraps nearly 2,000 flights

United Airlines cancelled more than 240 flights Monday and says it will take 1,980 flights off its September schedule

August 8, 2000
Web posted at: 9:50 AM EDT (1350 GMT)

CHICAGO (AP) -- United Airlines is canceling nearly 2,000 flights next month, the latest blow as the world's largest airline struggles to improve relations with its pilots.

United will take 1,980 flights off its September schedule, spokesman Chris Braithwaite said Monday. The airline had already canceled 4,800 flights from May through the end of August after pilots announced they would no longer work overtime.

United had the worst on-time arrival rate of major carriers in May, the latest month for which such figures are available. The airline, which canceled more than 240 flights Monday, has also blamed poor weather for some of its woes.

United says its pilots are refusing to work overtime since their contract expired in April and have increasingly been calling in sick. But the pilots say there is no organized work slowdown and problems are more the result of United's failure to hire enough pilots.

More hassles ahead
Travelers can almost bet on more hassles.

"Every time I go to check the board, the time gets later and later," said Paul Sson, who was delayed more than three hours Monday as he waited at O'Hare International Airport in Chicago for a connecting flight to Syracuse, New York.

Debra Spinney has been trying to get from O'Hare to Lexington, Kentucky, since Friday but saw her flight canceled three straight days. She said she won't fly United again.

"I just want to get home and get back to work," Spinney said as she stood in a ticket line Monday.

Analysts said United and the rest of the airline industry this summer are facing record highs for the percentage of seats occupied.

The Federal Aviation Administration said delays at O'Hare, a United hub, increased 23 percent last month compared with July 1999

"I think that both the pilots and the company probably bear some responsibility, and the timing could not be worse," said Ron Kuhlmann of Roberts, Roach & Associates in Hayward, California.

The Federal Aviation Administration said delays at O'Hare, a United hub, increased 23 percent last month compared with July 1999, and delays nationwide were up 16.5 percent in June from the same month last year.

Pilot shortage
United pilot Herb Hunter, a spokesman for the pilots' union, said some pilots have refused to work overtime but there is no organized effort by the union.

"If we settled this contract today we're still short of pilots," he said. "They didn't hire enough people, and we told them over a year ago that we're going to be short this summer."

United spokesman Joe Hopkins said the airline is in the process of hiring 1,300 new pilots. Earlier this year, the airline reduced its overall schedule by 2 percent to deal with the overtime issue.

Now more pilots are calling in sick, Hopkins said.

"That has hurt us, and we've obviously had weather problems," he said. "We're well aware of our service levels and that there is frustration with our customers."

Further souring relations is United's proposed $11.6 billion merger with US Airways. Union leaders oppose the deal, largely out of concern that United's 10,500 pilots will lose seniority to US Airways' 6,000 pilots.

The two sides are negotiating salary, benefits and work rules with the help of federal mediators and hope to have a contract agreement by Labor Day. A strike probably isn't imminent, but the union has activated its strike preparation committee just in case.

"It's been a difficult challenge all summer long, but we will get through it," Hopkins said. "We'll get a new contract and things will return to normal."

w
August 8, 2000
CHICAGO (AP) -- United Airlines is canceling nearly 2,000 flights next month, the latest blow as the world's largest airline struggles to improve relations with its pilots.

Year 2000 and during labor struggles. What is Dultas excuse?

Year 2000 and during labor struggles. What is Dultas excuse?
Hold the phone. "Labor struggles"? I thought UA/ALPA's official line (and yours too when this has been discussed before -- but I apologize if I am confusing you with another poster) is that there was nothing going on with the pilots that summer; it was all due to ATC and weather and ORD congestion.

Hold the phone. "Labor struggles"? I thought UA/ALPA's official line (and yours too when this has been discussed before -- but I apologize if I am confusing you with another poster) is that there was nothing going on with the pilots that summer; it was all due to ATC and weather and ORD congestion.

Bear,

I don't want to thread drift too much here. For the labor struggle, it was referred to in the article that chucky posted. For me I flew the same number of days in 2000 that I fly today. I generally fly a 3 or 5 day intl trip and have done that since 1998 (don't like change). In the summer of 2000 we were at a manpower low. The only time the schedule did get sorted out was when we reduced the flying to match the manpower. That summer was worse for ATC and weather than I ever recall. We did have an oddball trip in June of '00 that had us DH to ORD, layover and then fly to europe. I remember sitting on the plane for at least an hour with the ramp closed for lightining each time I flew the trip. Once the American Limo ride for the 10 West took over 2 hours due to the TSTMS and traffic.

Sorry for the drift but your mileage may vary with your own experiences during this time.

wow, that's almost as bad as this:
United Airlines scraps nearly 2,000 flights

United Airlines cancelled more than 240 flights Monday and says it will take 1,980 flights off its September schedule

August 8, 2000

Debra Spinney has been trying to get from O'Hare to Lexington, Kentucky, since Friday but saw her flight canceled three straight days. She said she won't fly United again.

Now, would it not be interesting to see how many times Ms. Spinney has actually flown on UA since this statement?

Still same day service!!

The asterics to that quote would be "unless travleing on express"

Although I think we have the most screwed up express system the numbers how DL winning that battle also. Sometimes I suppose it is good losing to DL ;) ;)