Delta recalling flight attendants out of seniority order

B

B.O.B.

Once again Delta is recalling OUT OF SENIORITY ORDER! Maybe if you Kool-Aid drinkers got smart and voted for the AFA, when you had the chance(s) you would be getting recalled in seniority order!

Internal Memorandum
Date: January 18, 2006

To: Flight Attendants on Voluntary and Involuntary Furlough and Voluntary Leave Status with
Current Language Qualification

Subject: Possible Language-Based Recall and Return Opportunity

We wrote to you recently about the possibility for a language-based recall and return opportunity, and now have additional information about the potential staffing need(s) and the process to fill available positions. Because of projected insufficient staffing in certain languages, Delta may have possible recall and return opportunities for eligible furlough and leave flight attendants, in the following base(s):

Potential Return Date LANGUAGE Base
March 2006 Arabic ATL
March 2006 Hebrew ATL
April 2006 Danish ATL
April 2006 Dutch CVG/NYC
April 2006 French ATL/CVG
April 2006 Greek ATL
April 2006 Hungarian NYC
April 2006 Italian CVG
April 2006 Russian ATL
April 2006 Turkish NYC
May 2006 Portuguese NYC
May 2006 Ukrainian NYC

Language-based recalls may be offered whenever bases have projected insufficient staffing within language categories that cannot be covered by active language-qualified flight attendants. Flight attendants accepting a language-based recall must meet the following criteria:

o Accept assignment to a base where the specific language skill is required.

o Remain in base as long as language skill is required in the base.

o Commit to the L.O.D. Program for a period of two years. After completing the 2 year commitment, flight attendants may remain in the L.O.D. program pursuant to a language-based recall for as long as their seniority number remains below the furlough line, there is a need for their language, and they otherwise meet the L.O.D. program eligibility requirements.

o Maintain language qualification at all times.
The recall process for a language-based recall will be conducted within identified language categories using a flight attendant's Furlough / Recall Seniority number within the category.

Within the language category, the flight attendant?s Base Preference form, together with his/her Furlough / Recall Seniority, will become the factors in determining whether or not she/he is contacted in the event of a language-based recall. For example, if In-Flight Service determines a need for Greek speakers in ATL, furloughed flight attendants with the specified language qualification (Greek) and base preference (ATL) will be recalled in furlough/recall seniority order.

Furlough flight attendants who wish to be recalled to a specific base(s) but do NOT wish to be recalled according to a specified language need, must drop their specified language qualification.

For example:

A flight attendant with a Greek qualification may wish to be recalled to ATL but does not wish to be recalled to participate in the L.O.D. program. In this case, he/she would have to contact the IFS Connection team to have his/her language qualification removed. Once dropped, a language qualification cannot be reinstated for six months from the effective date of removal.

Furlough flight attendants who are recalled based on language qualification and base preference, but choose not to return to Delta, will be terminated. Therefore, it is important for language-qualified furlough flight attendants who do not wish to be recalled to a specific base(s), to make sure that they have a base preference form on file, which clearly indicates their base preference choices.

If a language-based recall does not produce a sufficient number of language qualified flight attendants to meet Delta's language staffing needs, those on applicable leaves with the appropriate designated language qualification would then have an opportunity to return via the eBid process.

Eligible leave flight attendants who do not wish to submit interest in a return opportunity may remain on their applicable leave, and are not required to drop their specified language qualification.

Action Items

1. Furlough flight attendants who are submitting their original form or who want to update their form, must submit during the current base preference window. The current window opens Wednesday, January 18 and closes at 1700 EST on Tuesday, January 31, 2006. As a reminder, once updated, your current base preference choices will remain in effect until you elect to change your choices during another base preference update window.

2. Furlough flight attendants who do NOT want to be eligible for a language-based recall or return opportunity and want to drop their language qualification, must notify the In-Flight Service Connection team in writing via email to [email protected] on or before Tuesday, January 31, 2006. Once dropped, a language qualification cannot be reinstated for six months from the effective date of removal.

3. Voluntary leave flight attendants with current qualification in the languages indicated in this memo who want to be eligible for a possible language-based return opportunity, must submit their interest via eBid during the current eBid window. The current eBid window is projected to open on or around Friday, January 20 and will close at 1700 EST on Tuesday, January 31, 2006.

4. While this memo indicates the projected language need at this time, it is possible there may be a language-based recall or return opportunity for other language(s) in the L.O.D. program. If you have a current language qualification, please continue to stay connected via the Connection web site and eBid for any updates.

5. As a reminder, inactive flight attendants are required to keep their contact information current including address and a maximum two phone numbers. Call IFS Administrative Services at (800) 325-8990 and select option 5. Do not call the Employee Service Center for this purpose.

If Delta determines a need for a Base-Specific or Language-Based recall, more information about a Recall Day and required training prior to your return will be provided in writing, with as much possible notice. You will be given a minimum of 14 (calendar) days advance notification of a recall report date. For more information, please refer to the current Base Preference and Recall Q&A document, available on the Connection web site at www.dlifsweb.com Please continue to stay connected via IFS Portal and the Connection web site for any updates.

If you have questions, please contact the IFS Connection team at 404-715-1101.

Regards,

IFS Connection Team

well, it looks like they need language qualified people. not non-language . what good is a non language gonna do for them? and your right, no union, no protection. delta can do what ever they want.

B.O.B.

Would you propose they bring back all the people in between two language qualified individuals just to be nice. Just like when they hire people with certain language skills, they should be able to bring back people based on those same skills. You post makes no sense. Having a union here shouldn't change a thing...

Flyhigh, do not attempt to confuse B.O.B. with facts. His/her mind is made up. If you have to bring back 3,000 furloughees to get one speaker, then that's the way it should be--unless, of course, you are talking about bringing back former TW flight attendants to AA. :shock:

Flyhigh, do not attempt to confuse B.O.B. with facts. His/her mind is made up. If you have to bring back 3,000 furloughees to get one speaker, then that's the way it should be--unless, of course, you are talking about bringing back former TW flight attendants to AA. :shock:

I see you b*t*h here too!

The bottom line is they're recalling out of seniority order! Flyhigh and jimntx need to layoff the Kool-Aid.

Union contract equals recalls in seniority order. No union contract equals...SCREW JOB!

At AA we just had a proffer for IOR to fill for the new ORD-PVG route. We needed 30 Mandarin speakers to cover the route. They came up short and we still have Mandarin speakers on furlough. AA can't recall them because it would be out of seniority order. The contract stops that from happening!!!!!

At AA we just had a proffer for IOR to fill for the new ORD-PVG route. We needed 30 Mandarin speakers to cover the route. They came up short and we still have Mandarin speakers on furlough. AA can't recall them because it would be out of seniority order. The contract stops that from happening!!!!!

I'm sorry...are you saying that this is a GOOD thing? Your sense of business is lacking and costly if you ask me. If your business plan is to expand internationally and all that you can do is recall those that can only speak english...what kind of cust. service do you provide? Your argument makes no biz sense and is what is wrong with unions today. Your union forefathers had no intention of making idiotic decisions that only add further burdens on a strained industry but evolution over the years has created some backwards thinking like yours.

Sorry...but if you need 30 Mandarin speakers, it doesn't make sense to have to hire back 300 FAs (that is being generous by alluding that 1 in 10 speak Mandarin...I'm sure it is far less). What is your point, BOB?

B.O.B reminds me of another previous username here who obsessed constantly about the DL FAs and insisted that their fate would be much improved if only they were unionized. The repeated references to Kool-Aid confirms it. One and the same.

B.O.B reminds me of another previous username here who obsessed constantly about the DL FAs and insisted that their fate would be much improved if only they were unionized. The repeated references to Kool-Aid confirms it. One and the same.

Oh Daniel Son, you're not a great detective! But, lots of posters use the term "kool-aid" in this forum and others.

Oh Daniel Son, you're not a great detective! But, lots of posters use the term "kool-aid" in this forum and others.

True, but you and your alter ego, LiveInAHotel, use it in nearly every post. That, combined with your obsession with the absence of a union for DL FAs makes it clear.

True, but you and your alter ego, LiveInAHotel, use it in nearly every post. That, combined with your obsession with the absence of a union for DL FAs makes it clear.

First of all, I don't have an alter ego. Second of all, I don't know who or what LiveInAHotel is. I also don't have an obsession that the Delta flight attendants have no union.

Okay, then explain to me how the APFA (With a union contract) basically F'ed the TWA flight attendants.

A contract may well protect you from management, but it doesn't do you much good when its your own union busy throwing you to the wolves.

===========================================================

LGA(JFK),,
Correct me if I'm wrong, but because the TWA F/A's were in a DIFFERENT union, APFA legally Stapled them to the bottom of the occ. seniority list !!

(From a "goodwill" standpoint, NOT HOW "I" would have handled it)

And YES, I realize that the LLC f/a seniority issue, is STILL in the Courts.
==========================================================
Addressed to everyone else, who is "breakin' B.O.B's STONES"

When Company's and Unions sign CONTRACTS, there is rarely a "side letter" mentioning anything about "Good business practice" !!!

SOOO,
"Once the old pen makes contact with the paper, A Contract is a binding legal agreement, with an experation date"

Bottom line;

B. O. B. is legally correct, AND DL F/A's are at the company's MERCY, thanx to THEIR OWN doing !!

??????????

NH/BB's

B. O. B. is legally correct, AND DL F/A's are at the company's MERCY, thanx to THEIR OWN doing !!

I'm sorry...is there a point to this? Is this back to the argument that unions are immune to blame b/c if they get a bad contract...it is mgmt's fault...if they get a good contract...it is mgmt's fault? I don't care about signed contracts...I am speaking of what the union demands to be on the contract before it is signed. For a group to threaten work stoppage or other disruptions in order to add a seniority list (that IN THIS INSTANCE doesn't make business sense and would only add tremendous costs to the company resulting to future concession needs...though the union would NEVER tie the two together) is idiotic. Seniority lists are meant to protect in instances where mgmt would try to show favoritism in recalling. When expanding internationally and in need of people that can speak the languages in the markets to which you fly, it isn't "favoritism" to want to hire those that can actually serve the pax. Hopefully you and BOB can escape your programmed minds long enough to see this.