Delta Sucks! Stolen out of my Luggage!

jdix18

Sep 30, 2008
Yesterday, I flew from ORD to CVG to DFW. When I landed in DFW I picked up my luggage and went out to my car for the drive home to Shreveport, LA (about 3 hrs). I opened up my suitcase to get out my TomTom GPS unit and it was GONE!!! I know 100% that I packed it in my luggage when I left Chicago, as I always do when traveling. I couldn't believe that this happened. I even called my hotel in Chicago to verify it was not left behind in the room.

So I called Delta to see how they would handle this, and they took my information and asked me to submit a claim. I even spoke to the claims manager at their Call Center (Tisha). I followed her instructions and faxed everything in. I called back to speak to another representative and she advised me this was really just a shot in the dark. That Delta doesn't cover stolen/missing electronics for passengers. She said this was covered under homeowner's insurance. I asked why in the heck my homeowner's policy would cover a GPS unit for my car! She said good point, but again advised that this would most likely end up being denied. The GPS cost me $119 on sale last year, but now this same model is $165 at the cheapest.

I'm expecting the worst, but hoping for the best. Anyone else have similar experiences? Hopefully, Delta will take ownership for this problem. Apparently someone along their baggage handling depts found it a little easier to get home last night with their new GPS unit.

Thanks, Delta! Next time...it's American Airlines.

Yesterday, I flew from ORD to CVG to DFW. When I landed in DFW I picked up my luggage and went out to my car for the drive home to Shreveport, LA (about 3 hrs). I opened up my suitcase to get out my TomTom GPS unit and it was GONE!!! I know 100% that I packed it in my luggage when I left Chicago, as I always do when traveling. I couldn't believe that this happened. I even called my hotel in Chicago to verify it was not left behind in the room.

So I called Delta to see how they would handle this, and they took my information and asked me to submit a claim.....]

Looks like Delta's handeling this accordingly just like every other airline would. You submit a claim form and they will investigate it. Good Luck. Next time, I would probably pack an item that small inside my carry on.

If you 100% sure you packed it in your luggage, then you would not have called the hotel.
Now you admit that it ‘disappeared’ somewhere between Chicago and Shreveport. :shock:
Good luck! :lol:
Kind of like a hooker getting DNA tests from her clients to prove paternity.
Truth is, you do not know where you lost it.

B) xUT

Every airline has thieves...HELL, some of them actually run the airline. (the TSA has more time to work your luggage than an airline employee)

Word of advice, NEVER NEVER pack valuables! Do not place your valuables any place you can't see it. There is always the poss. that a thief at the Hotel stole it. Have you seen the kind of "innocent" illegal aliens working at Hotels?

I had something stolen from me every time I stayed at this hotel in NYC, so I set up a STING...Presto! Caught them RED HANDED! (Police took it from there)

Hope you get it back (nothing worse than being robbed) :down:

several years ago during a trip I could not find my car keys at all! had zero idea what happened to them but because I generally fly turns figured they must have fell out of my bag on the aircraft or in the terminal area. since there was no identification on the keys figured maybe I will get lucky and they ended up at the baggage claim(lost and found turned in) it was a chance but what else could I do? anyway..

walked down to baggage claim and ask the woman behind the counter at the office if someone had turned in any keys. she said to her knowledge no, but she would check the lost and found room in the back and took me there. she explained to me when cell phones, keys, or smaller items are found they place them in a box

we walked to the side of the room and she opened the door.

from floor to ceiling, wall to wall, from the door to as far as I could see it was nothing but "stuff" clothing hanging from the ceiling..books, coats, shoes, briefcases, hats, gloves, toys, so much stuff packed in that room it was unbelievable(it was a mini-warehouse). she turned around and handed me a box..I recall there were three boxes, one box was full of cell phones, the other box had some things(watches, bracelets) and the third she handed to me was full of keys, some just a key, the box was completely full of keys... unfortunately it was not there. She told me to check back because items come in daily by *employees* who find things on the aircraft, in the terminal areas.

I ended up just calling my roommate and she brought me a spare so I could get my car out of the lot.

when I arrived at the parking lot getting off the employee bus, walked over to my car, went around back(to put my luggage in the trunk) and my car keys were in the back of the trunk inserted into the lock still dangling. I remember rushing to catch the bus, so it just happened, it happens..

sometimes, we just forget things and unless you are 100 percent sure its probably best to reserve placing blame until one actually knows for a fact, its something else..(is all I am saying)

My best response is... YOU take ownership.... YOU checked the bag with the Goods inside, bad move. YOU swear it was not left behind, ever been wrong before? Next trip, shove it some where it won't feel uncomfortable :lol: , but you know you'll have it when you arrive. Have a nice Flight!!! :ph34r:

TSA locks are a great invention. That way, if its taken out and the lock is still on, you know who took it. Also, helps keep everyone else that can touch the bag (from the hotel to the rental car shuttle to the airline agent) honest. I once had my zippers come undone and clothes were hanging out of the bag. Even though I never travel with valuable stuff in my luggage (I've read the warnings enough to know better) I lock it now just to keep things inside.

US Airways' liability for loss, delay or damage to checked baggage is limited to $3,000 per ticketed passenger for travel entirely within the U.S.

When US Airways has exercised the ordinary standard of care, it shall not be liable for damage to or damage caused by fragile articles, liquids, or perishables, nor for the loss of, damage to, or delay in:

* antiques/heirlooms/collectibles
* artistic items
* blueprints
* books/manuscripts/publications
* business samples/equipment/documents & irreplaceable items
* computer hardware/software & related items
* currency
* electronic components
* equipment & related items
* jewelry
* keys
* lifesaving medication
* natural fur products
* negotiable papers/securities/documents
* optics
* photographic/cinematographic audio/video equipment & related items
* precious metals/stones
* silverware
* sound reproduction equipment & related items
* spirits

\Thanks, Delta! Next time...it's American Airlines.

First of all, you should have never put such an item in your checked baggage. Secondly, as it has already been pointed out, you have no way of knowing exactly when the item disappeared.
Sounds like you looking for a scapegoat. I am sure no such things ever happen to passengers who fly American. <_<