Delta to stop accepting pets as checked baggage

Glad to see it. Other airlines have refused to carry pets as baggage for decades. They avoid all the bad press when things go wrong, and all the issues that come up when you have to refuse to carry them because of heat/cold/delays, etc.

So we're not a "first mover" on this, then? ;)

That also reminds me that we had an existing embargo on pets as luggage from roughly Memorial Day through Labor Day...

So they are still going to ship pets via Delta cargo, so this is not an end to shipping pets just the customer will have to drop the pet off at a different location. Pretty much changes nothing. 

it sounds like what we at AA do is what DL is going to be doing '

Does DL set strict regulations on dog type?   AA does   as some of the 4 legged pooches cannot be transported on us for variety of reasons

Kev3188 said:
So we're not a "first mover" on this, then? ;)

That also reminds me that we had an existing embargo on pets as luggage from roughly Memorial Day through Labor Day...
Nope. Have to look, but I don't think Southwest has ever carried pets. I don't believe HP did, and I doubt that F9 or NK do.

My wife used to own the pet procedures at AA, including the embargoes.

You'll hear a few people piss and moan (e.g. the dog show crowd) but they're also the ones who have the money to send their prized competition animals by cargo.

eolesen said:
Nope. Have to look, but I don't think Southwest has ever carried pets. I don't believe HP did, and I doubt that F9 or NK do.

My wife used to own the pet procedures at AA, including the embargoes.

You'll hear a few people piss and moan (e.g. the dog show crowd) but they're also the ones who have the money to send their prized competition animals by cargo.
E, US stopped carrying pets during the HP merger because the HP Aircraft were not heated. 

And how were they accepted as cargo then if the bins weren't heated?

Since a commercial jet is one pressurized tube, how does one prevent the warm, pressurized cabin air from infiltrating the cargo bins?

Makes sense that a Phoenix-based airline would prohibit pets as checked luggage.

Today, AA bans pets as checked luggage on A319, A320, A321H and A321S aircraft. Apparently, they're allowed on pmUS A321s, 757s and A330s.

Also allowed on AA's A321Ts.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/specialAssistance/pets.jsp

Your house is also one big box. Same theory applies there with zones and different methods of heating/cooling as does with aircraft.

Cargo compartments are meant to be contained for fire safety reasons.

robbedagain said:
it sounds like what we at AA do is what DL is going to be doing '

Does DL set strict regulations on dog type?   AA does   as some of the 4 legged pooches cannot be transported on us for variety of reasons
pretty sure DL has banned bulldogs of any type. 

i would also like to point out, the only way my dogs are ever getting on an airplane is if I were to move across an ocean. Even then I am going to try find a reasonable water shipping method first. (ie transatlantic cruise) 

Latest posts