Delta will lay off 741 ground employees at DTW in April

FWAAA

Veteran
Jan 5, 2003
Some cost-cutting at Detroit:

Delta Airlines is planning to lay off 741 workers at Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport in April.

DAL Global Services, an airline subsidiary, will be making the cuts, according to a document filed by the company with Michigan’s Department of Career Development.

The layoffs will come on or around April 15, the company said. Jobs being cut include 141 cabin service agents, 380 ramp agents, 77 cabin provision agents and 50 ramp supervisors.

Delta is switching from DAL Global Services to two new contractors: Prospect, which will be responsible for cabin cleaning, and Menzies Aviation, which will handle baggage and marshalling out on the tarmac. The changes only affect regional flights where planes seat between 50 and 76 passengers, said Morgan Durrant, a spokesman for Delta Airlines.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140214/BIZ/302140103#ixzz2tLJpAD5C

Reactions: 1 person
Had to pay for those raises at LGA somehow, its pretty bad when they layoff from the vendor they own to use someone even cheaper.

Reactions: 5 people
Well, these are some more of the DL workers who decided that they didn't need anything a union could provide. At will workers are at will workers. Though it would be interesting to know if there are any DGS employees left at DTW.  I mean other than the supervisors who will be overseeing the Prospect and Menzies work.

if you are hoping I was going to come on here and defend this action, you will be disappointed.

I do not like seeing these type of contracts pulled and rebid every couple of years to ensure that the workers have no chance of advancing their salaries.

However, let's also be clear that this type of contract rebidding is common in American business and that it has been very common in the US airline industry, largely among regional carriers who fly for their network carrier partners.

There is little difference between what is happening here and what AA is doing to AE. And in many cases, the economic implications are far more significant for pilots who have invested far more in their careers than ground personnel have.

My desire would be that employees of any company that is contracted to another know when the contract they are working on expires.

Let's also be clear that contractors change because of performance. There are companies that do the job they are contracted to do better than others.

We don't know the complete reasons for why DL is replacing the contract - if it was at full term and up for rebid, if it was terminated early for performance, or another company underbid DGS.

The implications on the low-wage workers who are impacted is the same and I do not like to see contracts won and lost over pretty small amounts to the actual workers.

Reactions: 2 people
WorldTraveler said:
if you are hoping I was going to come on here and defend this action, you will be disappointed.

I do not like seeing these type of contracts pulled and rebid every couple of years to ensure that the workers have no chance of advancing their salaries.

However, let's also be clear that this type of contract rebidding is common in American business and that it has been very common in the US airline industry, largely among regional carriers who fly for their network carrier partners.

There is little difference between what is happening here and what AA is doing to AE. And in many cases, the economic implications are far more significant for pilots who have invested far more in their careers than ground personnel have.

My desire would be that employees of any company that is contracted to another know when the contract they are working on expires.

Let's also be clear that contractors change because of performance. There are companies that do the job they are contracted to do better than others.

We don't know the complete reasons for why DL is replacing the contract - if it was at full term and up for rebid, if it was terminated early for performance, or another company underbid DGS.

The implications on the low-wage workers who are impacted is the same and I do not like to see contracts won and lost over pretty small amounts to the actual workers.
ye a

yep you are an a**hole. these are people that work for delta that are BEING laid off so delta can feel good about giving their contractors a dollar an hour raise to $10.00 an hour. its clear Delta is gutting its own workforce for contractors at $9.00 an hour. people like you get me sick.

no, I am not an #### and they are not DL employees.

I have all the sympathy for those employees and I already said that I don't like what is happening.

But it doesn't change that they are contract employees and not DL employees. DL, like every one of the legacy airlines, has multiple subsidiaries whose employees are not employed by the mainline.

The relationship between DGS and DL employees is the same as between DL and Endeavor or AA and American Eagle employees. Same parent company but different subsidiaries. There is no assurance that DGS employees have guaranteed employment on DL contracts any more than AE employees are guaranteed employment on AA's contracts.

In fact, DGS like AE also does work for airlines other than the mainline subsidiary of their parent company.

DL is not gutting its own workforce in order to hire these contractors.

This is a change of one contractor for another. As is typical in most of these contract switches, the employees will be rehired by the new contractor.

WorldTraveler said:
no, I am not an #### and they are not DL employees.

I have all the sympathy for those employees and I already said that I don't like what is happening.

But it doesn't change that they are contract employees and not DL employees. DL, like every one of the legacy airlines, has multiple subsidiaries whose employees are not employed by the mainline.

The relationship between DGS and DL employees is the same as between DL and Endeavor or AA and American Eagle employees. Same parent company but different subsidiaries. There is no assurance that DGS employees have guaranteed employment on DL contracts any more than AE employees are guaranteed employment on AA's contracts.

In fact, DGS like AE also does work for airlines other than the mainline subsidiary of their parent company.

DL is not gutting its own workforce in order to hire these contractors.

This is a change of one contractor for another. As is typical in most of these contract switches, the employees will be rehired by the new contractor.
sure chief delude your self all day long. delta has been screwing their empoloyees since ron allen and his 7.5 plan. maybe if your lucky you will get the opportunity to get outsourced. couldn't happen to a nicer guy

just stick with the facts... DL is switching contractors. Employees will go with the new contractor. I acknowledged some may or may not be impacted financially.

I don't like these kinds of deals if they impact workers on the frontline. I said that.

Switching contractors is no different from what other companies do and what every one of the legacy carriers have done with regional carriers that work for them.

Direct your anger at the entire system or keep it to yourself. There is no basis for saying that DL is doing anything that isn't quite common in American business and has been widely used in the airline industry.

2 times for dtw...  for mechanics  and now dgs rampers etc wow  how much longer til delta destroys dtw similar to other cities...

wait   wt will find a way to defend that too

700UW said:
Who owns DGS? I will give you one guess?
Delta Air Lines, Inc.

You missed the part about the workers will be rehired.

I said I don't like these kinds of corporate games but it is no different from what US has done with maintenance contractors and regional carrier or AA is doing with Eagle at this very minute - and there is far from any assurance that those pilots will be rehired by other airlines.

Sorry, robbed, but your notion that DL is going to dismantle DTW is beyond believable. DTW is a thriving hub. DL just happens to be looking to cut contractor costs.

you do realize that AA did it in BK, AS did it even without going to BK ....

Can be rehired, and no one has said if the wages and benefits are the same, which I doubt they are.

yeah, I said that several posts ago.

I never said I endorse what is happening... in fact I said I don't approve of it. But tell me how this is any different than shopping RJ operators or maintenance contracts which US has done or what AA is doing with Eagle today?

Really wt   heck at the rate delta keeps going with cuts cuts cuts  it sure as heck aint gonna take tooo long before dtw becomes a major causalty   again wt you keep on defending delta for God knows why.    secondly  if they get rehired by delta  guess what I bet their seniority goes to the bottom   you know like stapling  

robbedagain said:
Really wt   heck at the rate delta keeps going with cuts cuts cuts  it sure as heck aint gonna take tooo long before dtw becomes a major causalty   again wt you keep on defending delta for God knows why.    secondly  if they get rehired by delta  guess what I bet their seniority goes to the bottom   you know like stapling  

Like none of this is going to happen at the new miserAAble airlines....
Get ready, yours is coming.. Parker has extra helpings of BOHICA for ya..

Reactions: 3 people