Democracy In Action

Ken MacTiernan

Veteran
Aug 12, 2003
San Diego CA
www.amtausa.com
Democracy is a great thing. No, NOT the twu international version of democracy but the local level of democracy where everyone gets a ballot to vote for or against people running for elected office. When a person places their name on a ballot for a particular position they feel they can do a better job than either the incumbent or the other candidates.

What is interesting at Local 565 the previous President and E-Board at Large are running again. Under their previous term the local had about 180 grand in the treasury and it was heading south and there were just a handful of Shop Stewards. After the election, where the membership voted for who they wanted to have represent them, the new officers stopped the bleeding and raised the treasury by 240 thousand dollars, increased the number of Shop Stewards and hold themselves accountable to the membership. This is even with the cost of replacing the Local Hall's roof and repairing the foundation. The Expense Account shown at every union meeting is clear and there are no hidden expenses for cigars or expensive dinners, etc. This is because the local's treasury belongs to the membership and is not the personal bank account for union officers. Mike Hatfield does a good job as Financial - Recording Secretary.

Gary Schaible who is running again for VP is unchallenged and it was Gary and the Board that held AA accountable for the fiasco at DFW over the MD80 wiring issue. Close to 3/4 of a million dollars was distributed to the membership due to the grievance filed by Local 565 at that time. Jerry Mishak who is running for A/C Maintenance E-Board, and currently is the E-Board at Large, can be found on the hangar floor or line when not at the Hall.

Both of these men were a pleasure to work with and also to be associated with. They are both union men and will fight the good fight and hold themselves accountable by the membership. Mike Bush does an excellent job as E-Board for Stores and Joe Absalon, who replaced me when I stepped down is a straight talker and will be the first to tell a person they are out of line.

Democracy is certainly a great thing and even more so when the membership vote for the right people for the right job.

<_< ------- I'm glad you have good people to work with Ken. The membership at local 530 let it be known how we felt about our previous leadership by presenting ours with this little token of our appreciation! http://airlineforums.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=9006

<_< ------- I'm glad you have good people to work with Ken. The membership at local 530 let it be known how we felt about our previous leadership by presenting ours with this little token of our appreciation! http://airlineforums.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=9006

Gordon sold his membership out and not only deserves the trophy but a big heaping pile of what comes out of the end of it. Has anyone even seen him report to Hangar 5?

While I was on the E-Board I can tell you that our Executive Board Meetings were good. I actually enjoyed them. Even our Treasurer - Recording Secretary liked them because under the previous Pres/VP/E-Board he said he would walk away with a head ache from all the yelling. Our meetings were professional and we had one goal in mind and that was NOT to make deals for ourselves but to represent any member that deserved to be represented.

Gordon sold his membership out and not only deserves the trophy but a big heaping pile of what comes out of the end of it. Has anyone even seen him report to Hangar 5?

While I was on the E-Board I can tell you that our Executive Board Meetings were good. I actually enjoyed them. Even our Treasurer - Recording Secretary liked them because under the previous Pres/VP/E-Board he said he would walk away with a head ache from all the yelling. Our meetings were professional and we had one goal in mind and that was NOT to make deals for ourselves but to represent any member that deserved to be represented.

You know, Mr. Ken - in this day and age nearly every whim can be indulged. Check this out:

http://www.shitsenders.com/

<_< ------ I heard Gorden got some gushy job with the International.------- His 20 pieces of silver!!! But than again, that's what you can expect from the TWU!!! -------- ;) Frank! I like it!!!---- My devious mind is going in six directions!!! :lol:

<_< ------ I heard Gorden got some gushy job with the International.------- His 20 pieces of silver!!! But than again, that's what you can expect from the TWU!!! -------- ;) Frank! I like it!!!---- My devious mind is going in six directions!!! :lol:

My contacts at DWH has confirmed that Gordon, against the locals objections, is being paid by the company to work for the international. Some deal worked out at the international with the higher ups at the company.

Bob Owens...any info on this?

My contacts at DWH has confirmed that Gordon, against the locals objections, is being paid by the company to work for the international. Some deal worked out at the international with the higher ups at the company.

Bob Owens...any info on this?
<_< ------ Isn't that the ultimate definition of a "Company Union"? ----- Come on people!!!------ Company paying Union official wages !??? ;) ------ Decisions! Decisions! ----- Question?---- Elephant? Or gorilla?

What is interesting at Local 565 the previous President and E-Board at Large are running again. Under their previous term the local had about 180 grand in the treasury and it was heading south and there were just a handful of Shop Stewards. After the election, where the membership voted for who they wanted to have represent them, the new officers stopped the bleeding and raised the treasury by 240 thousand dollars, increased the number of Shop Stewards and hold themselves accountable to the membership. This is even with the cost of replacing the Local Hall's roof and repairing the foundation.
Are you talking about Don V boy Casper? I talked to my president about Keith Stewart a while back, and that is what he was known as, Casper becuase he never showed up for negotiaions or president meetings. But when he did, he said he was a big spender. That is a shame, and the DOL should be called in because you guys had that local for at least 2 terms with Don V and at least 1 with Keith, and all you could put away was 180 grand. Something smells real bad here. The 240k over a term sounds much more like it.

We have had some winners! Phat Don and now Good-time Bob. Intl aspirated "I got mine" con-artists. I wish Shiable would have ran for the #1. He seems to have integrity and none of the elitist attitude.

... snip

Democracy is certainly a great thing and even more so when the membership vote for the right people for the right job.

Even though no true democracy has ever survived in practice due to voter apathy and corruption in the upper "chambers", it's a nice thought that it could someday if everyone would suddenly awaken and pay attention to what's being done to the average Joe by those who were elected.

In practice , all we have available in the union context is to use the suggestion box (schmoozing the officers IF they come through one's shop) and the ballot box (voting, rendered ineffective by the vote count method). These are proven ineffective methods of getting the attention of a non-responsive group, otherwise known as the International.

The US Constitution, with respect to our country itself, allows for an additional remedy in the form of the Second Amendment (the cartridge box). Unfortunately, the government has been busy since the WWII boys came home re: breeding the balls off the country's general population in hopes of stopping such an action.

The "arrangment" re: the TWU International is closer to Orwell's Animal Farm but I'm happy to hear one local "gets it".

I overheard an interesting one the other day from some local boys and some stewards about DWH. It appears that a deal was cut at the international for local 567 to support Stewart and his slate over Petersen in exchange for DWH to be turned over to local 567. So those of you at DFW, expect a bunch of trash talking against Petersen from the 567 crowd because they want DWH. I am not surprised that they are backing Stewart for the extra dues money, but at the same time they do call him Casper.

I overheard an interesting one the other day from some local boys and some stewards about DWH. It appears that a deal was cut at the international for local 567 to support Stewart and his slate over Petersen in exchange for DWH to be turned over to local 567. So those of you at DFW, expect a bunch of trash talking against Petersen from the 567 crowd because they want DWH. I am not surprised that they are backing Stewart for the extra dues money, but at the same time they do call him Casper.

What would be even more interesting is a rumor about DHW actually becoming Local 567 once AFW is sold off after 7 day coverage is implemented in Tulsa and 1000+ heads added. Once the fleet can be maintained in Tulsa and DWH combined using 7 coverage and more headcount, and once the Overhaul Rules including non-licensed OSM's are allowed at DHW, at that time, AFW will be gone and those working at AFW will soon be working at DWH.

What would be even more interesting is a rumor about DHW actually becoming Local 567 once AFW is sold off after 7 day coverage is implemented in Tulsa and 1000+ heads added. Once the fleet can be maintained in Tulsa and DWH combined using 7 coverage and more headcount, and once the Overhaul Rules including non-licensed OSM's are allowed at DHW, at that time, AFW will be gone and those working at AFW will soon be working at DWH.
Well then that would certainly add to the need for the international to get control of 565 in ramrod their agenda. The 567 boys are looking at having to work under a different local unless they get there guy in there to turn that place over to them. Very interesting

Democracy is a great thing. No, NOT the twu international version of democracy but the local level of democracy where everyone gets a ballot to vote for or against people running for elected office. When a person places their name on a ballot for a particular position they feel they can do a better job than either the incumbent or the other candidates.

What is interesting at Local 565 the previous President and E-Board at Large are running again. Under their previous term the local had about 180 grand in the treasury and it was heading south and there were just a handful of Shop Stewards. After the election, where the membership voted for who they wanted to have represent them, the new officers stopped the bleeding and raised the treasury by 240 thousand dollars, increased the number of Shop Stewards and hold themselves accountable to the membership. This is even with the cost of replacing the Local Hall's roof and repairing the foundation. The Expense Account shown at every union meeting is clear and there are no hidden expenses for cigars or expensive dinners, etc. This is because the local's treasury belongs to the membership and is not the personal bank account for union officers. Mike Hatfield does a good job as Financial - Recording Secretary.

Gary Schaible who is running again for VP is unchallenged and it was Gary and the Board that held AA accountable for the fiasco at DFW over the MD80 wiring issue. Close to 3/4 of a million dollars was distributed to the membership due to the grievance filed by Local 565 at that time. Jerry Mishak who is running for A/C Maintenance E-Board, and currently is the E-Board at Large, can be found on the hangar floor or line when not at the Hall.

Both of these men were a pleasure to work with and also to be associated with. They are both union men and will fight the good fight and hold themselves accountable by the membership. Mike Bush does an excellent job as E-Board for Stores and Joe Absalon, who replaced me when I stepped down is a straight talker and will be the first to tell a person they are out of line.

Democracy is a great thing. Hopefully the candidates that run do not resign and run from their promise of representing their members in the face of adversity Ken and I am not just talking about your partial term at 565. Or flip flop between unions depending on which may the wind blows and what meets their personal agenda Ken. Is that your criteria for "good union" men?