Dems Begin Push For Support From Idiots

AgMedallion

Advanced
Aug 31, 2002

Inside Politics

By Greg Pierce

Superman invoked
Sen. John Edwards invoked the name of "Superman" actor Christopher Reeve — who died this week after nearly 10 years as a quadriplegic — during a campaign speech yesterday about President Bush's opposition to certain types of stem-cell research.
"Christopher Reeve just passed away, and America just lost a great champion for this cause," he said. "Somebody who is a powerful voice for the need to do stem-cell research and change the lives of people like him who have gone through the tragedy.
"If we can do the work that we can do in this country — the work we will do when John Kerry is president — people like Christopher Reeve are going to walk," Mr. Edwards promised. "Get up out of that wheelchair and walk again."
Mr. Edwards, a successful personal-injury lawyer before entering politics, put the finest point yet on an issue Democrats hope to make a major one in the November election. He and Mr. Kerry support using federal money on embryonic stem-cell research, which kills human embryos.
Mr. Bush limited federal funding in 2001 to efforts to harvest existing stem-cell lines. He banned support for new lines.

I understand that next week Kerry-Edwards will release the plans for a new program to prevent hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, floods and blizzards. In two weeks, the dynamic duo will reveal the cure for cancer and outline another broad new program to guarantee that every single American will be a millionaire, live in a mansion, have a happy marriage and live to the age of 100.

This really makes me rethink my support of Bush-Cheney. I never knew that if it weren't for those SOBs and Republicans in general, folks like Christopher Reeve would have been walking. :rolleyes:

Ag,
I heard the other day that Bush sent a cd around to all the chuch groups.
Bush was on one side and Jesus Christ on the other.
Who is comparing themselves to who?

Now this is just creepy.

bush.jpg

atabuy said:
Ag,
I heard the other day that Bush sent a cd around to all the chuch groups.
Bush was on one side and Jesus Christ on the other.
Who is comparing themselves to who?
[post="190446"][/post]​

What I posted is something the candidate himself (in this case Edwards) said. The crap you Dems are bringing up, even if true, was something done by an obviously partisan Bush supporter, not by GWB. Quite a difference.

I'm looking out my window and it's raining. That damned Bush. Must be global warming. I can't wait until Kerry-Edwards get into office. It'll be paradise on earth. :rolleyes:

A compassionate person, conservative or not, will support stem-cell research in order to improve the lives of those afflicted with devastating illnesses or chronic conditions or of those who suffered debilitating injuries. It is called science.

Contrary to what the biased reactionary right wing zealot Washington Times reporter wrote, stem-cell research does not kill human embryos. No one has abortions for the purpose of harvesting stem-cells. As long as abortion remains legal, instead of simply discarding the embryonic tissue we might as well put it to use that will benefit others.

TWAnr said:
A compassionate person, conservative or not, will support stem-cell research in order to improve the lives of those afflicted with devastating illnesses or chronic conditions or of those who suffered debilitating injuries. It is called science.

[post="190549"][/post]​

I guess it is a good thing that the president supports the existing lines even with federal money.

The first president to do so by the way.

Absolutely. I just wish we could stop wasting the 'stem cells' we through away in bio hazard bags everyday. Imagine the possibilities. All that the Kerry camp is saying is that they will allow additional research using more stem cells.

According to the majority of researchers, the 19 exiting lines are not sufficiently diverse and thus inadequate for optimal study in this fast developing field.

Post Script:

Fewer Cell Lines Available Than Originally Promised. The August 2001 stem cell policy allegedly made available more than 60 suitable stem cell lines to federally funded researchers. However, this has proved to be false. Many of the cells have turned out not to be genuine stem cell lines or turned out to have no scientific value. As of today, there are only 19 lines available - less than a third of the number originally promised.

Human Cells Contaminated With Mouse Cells. All of the cells available under the Bush policy were originally grown on what is known as a "feeder layer" of mouse cells, making their therapeutic value uncertain. The Bush policy prevents federally funded scientists from conducting research on stem cells grown without this contamination. Only by expanding the policy will federally funded scientists be able to conduct research on uncontaminated stem cells that have the greatest value to patients.

Other Cells Not Available For Research. Every day, scientists work to develop better techniques for growing and using human stem cells, yet the cell lines made available were all originally developed using techniques that are nearly three years old - a very long time in a fast-moving field like stem cell research. For example, scientists have now discovered ways to grow cells without a feeder layer of mouse cells. Restricting doctors to cells developed with outmoded techniques is like forcing NASA engineers today to work with technology from the old Apollo moon missions.

U.S. Losing Leadership In Stem Cell Research. Without federal funding, the nation's top researchers at universities, medical schools, and teaching hospitals cannot be part of the work to find new cures and treatments. Other industrialized nations have allowed extensive research on stem cells with strict ethical oversight. Britain in particular has been aggressive in establishing stem cell research programs. Due to the limited opportunities for federally funded stem cell research in this country, many scientists - particularly young scientists - who seek to engage in this research do so overseas.

TWAnr said:

I'd agree with that 100%. However, that is definitely not what Edwards did.
He said:

"If we can do the work that we can do in this country — the work we will do when John Kerry is president — people like Christopher Reeve are going to walk," Mr. Edwards promised. "Get up out of that wheelchair and walk again."

Giving false hope to desperate people afflicted with truly sad handicaps. Sure there's the possibility, slim though it is, that research on currently available stem cells, or possibly additional cells if these fools are elected, will make some progress in curing various diseases. But to promise what Edwards did is right in line with his ambulance-chasing background. It ranks right up there with the Dems telling old people that the Republicans will abolish or cut Social Security benefits drastically, or comparing Bush with Hitler. Pure BS which casts a dark shadow on anything the Dems say they'll do or won't do. They're just taking advantage of stupid people, or at the very least extremely gullible and naive ones. :down:

AgMedallion said:
Giving false hope to desperate people afflicted with truly sad handicaps. Sure there's the possibility, slim though it is, that research on currently available stem cells, or possibly additional cells if these fools are elected, will make some progress in curing various diseases.
[post="190588"][/post]​

Certainly NOT doing the research, which is the path the current administration has us on, is not going to get us anywhere. That, coupled with the fact that the Europeans and Asians are moving ahead with their programs, will only cause us to lose our leadership in yet another critical industry. It's too early to claim that it's a 'false hope', but that's certainly better than no hope which is what they have now.

But to promise what Edwards did is right in line with his ambulance-chasing background.

And the fact that he's a politician. Bush's claims that he's made the US safe from terrorist attack seem just as ludicrous to me.

It ranks right up there with the Dems telling old people that the Republicans will abolish or cut Social Security benefits drastically, or comparing Bush with Hitler.

Or claiming that the Democrats will raise taxes on the middle class or comparing John Kerry to Osama.

Pure BS which casts a dark shadow on anything the Dems say they'll do or won't do.

So they shouldn't count on your vote then? I know they were counting on you. (As if 'pure BS' has a party affiliation.)

They're just taking advantage of stupid people, or at the very least extremely gullible and naive ones.

Much like those who take such statements out of context to reduce them to a ridiculous conclusion.

NWA/AMT said:
Or comparing John Kerry to Osama.

Who the heck ever did that? Comparing him to Jane Fonda is very believable, but Osama, never.

NWA/AMT said:
So they shouldn't count on your vote then?

No, yours is much more valuable...I'll let it decide the election. Unless of course you're in the military...the Dems try their best to get those ballots thrown out!

NWA/AMT said:
I know they were counting on you. (As if 'pure BS' has a party affiliation.)
Much like those who take such statements out of context to reduce them to a ridiculous conclusion.

Edward's statement stands on it's own merits...it doesn't need to be taken out of context. It's a totally absurd lie that only a moron (or a desperate handicapped person who shouldn't be led on by the likes of Edwards) would think was based in reality. Edwards should be ashamed. His statement was embarassing and stupid even coming from a politician.

Kind of as stupid as anybody dumb enough to vote for Bush. This retard never even served yet he's got all you knuckleheads believing the Kerry is the "anti-American". Now, who's stupid?