DFW Administration

wnbubbleboy

Veteran
Aug 21, 2002
By God Indiana
If I were the Company I take this submit this article to congress. How could Southwest Fairly compete with a administration that sees us as the enemy. I assume they are the same ones who issue SIDA badges and parking passes and enforce any violations that may occur. How can they prove no bias now?

By DAVID WETHE
STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER via Knight Ridder

D/FW AIRPORT -- Like fans tuning in for a heavyweight boxing match, Dallas/Fort Worth Airport employees gathered Thursday morning in four areas of the airport to watch a live webcast of a Senate subcommittee's hearing on the Wright Amendment.

Clapping, cheering, laughing and groaning could all be heard from the second floor of the airport's administration building, where employees sat in the board and committee rooms and watched on several big screens.

Some of the loudest cheers came when Kevin Cox, the airport's chief operating officer, offered a virtual gut punch to the witness seated next to him, Herb Kelleher, the founder and chairman of Southwest Airlines.

"Give 'em hell, Kevin," one employee said when Cox described Kelleher's 1990 deposition in a California lawsuit in which Cox said Kelleher appeared to support the Wright Amendment.

It was an opposite stance from his current position, which calls for a repeal of the 26-year-old law. D/FW and American Airlines want to keep the law.

Cox quoted Kelleher's deposition, saying: "We, too, have to agree as a matter of logic and principle that if you allowed Love Field to come up to a full-fledged hub in opposition to D/FW Airport that indeed air service to the Metroplex would suffer to some extent, because basically a hub-and-spoke system depends for its success upon attracting passengers from a multitude of spokes that will fill up an airplane going to another destination."

He turned and looked at Kelleher and asked, "Sound familiar?"

The loudest groans came several minutes later when Kelleher asked for a chance to respond.

"I have the original copy of the ..." Kelleher said.

And suddenly the feed cut out for about five minutes.

"All of the webcasts from all of the committees were all having problems," said Aaron Saunders, a spokesman for the Commerce Committee.

D/FW technicians worked to fix the problem but soon discovered that the problem wasn't on their end. Airport employees, some of whom wore pro-Wright T-shirts and ate a free breakfast, walked back and forth between the board and committee rooms, hunting for an Internet feed that worked. At times they both cut out simultaneously.

Interest is high because some D/FW employees, like Jack Dale of Fort Worth, are worried that their jobs would be threatened by a repeal. American has said it would shift flights from D/FW to Dallas Love Field if the law goes away.

"I'm really concerned about the loss of flights," said Dale, a contract administrator.

Fort Worth Star Telegram

If I were the Company I take this submit this article to congress. How could Southwest Fairly compete with a administration that sees us as the enemy. I assume they are the same ones who issue SIDA badges and parking passes and enforce any violations that may occur. How can they prove no bias now?
I don't think DFW's administration ever tried to hide their adamant support of retaining the Wright Amendment. As the champion of the opposition, SWA is naturally viewed as "the enemy." SWA's snubbing their hollow $22 million incentive package to move to their incompatible turf probably didn't enamor SWA in their hearts either. (Nor did the announcement to begin service to DEN!)

Let 'em talk, cheer, scream, and yell. The proof will be in the halls of congress, most likely in September 2007. Whichever way the ball falls, DFW will have spent a boat-load of money on a massive PR game, money that could have been used to pay down the enormous debt load they've incurred with the construction of the new Terminal D and associated projects like its ego-spensive floor! :down:

I don't think DFW's administration ever tried to hide their adamant support of retaining the Wright Amendment. As the champion of the opposition, SWA is naturally viewed as "the enemy." SWA's snubbing their hollow $22 million incentive package to move to their incompatible turf probably didn't enamor SWA in their hearts either. (Nor did the announcement to begin service to DEN!)

Let 'em talk, cheer, scream, and yell. The proof will be in the halls of congress, most likely in September 2007. Whichever way the ball falls, DFW will have spent a boat-load of money on a massive PR game, money that could have been used to pay down the enormous debt load they've incurred with the construction of the new Terminal D and associated projects like its ego-spensive floor! :down:

It makes sense for DFW to support retaining the Wright Amendment. If Wright is repealed, DFW would lose hundreds of flights a day, thousands of jobs... A better solution for DFW is for Southwest to come over and fly its longer distance flights from there, along with the other airlines that serve it. There's no underhanded conspiracy here...just an airport looking out for itself and its region...

It makes sense for DFW to support retaining the Wright Amendment. If Wright is repealed, DFW would lose hundreds of flights a day, thousands of jobs... A better solution for DFW is for Southwest to come over and fly its longer distance flights from there, along with the other airlines that serve it. There's no underhanded conspiracy here...just an airport looking out for itself and its region...

Better for who? Certainly not Southwest. No such thing as 25 minute turn at DFW.

It makes sense for DFW to support retaining the Wright Amendment. If Wright is repealed, DFW would lose hundreds of flights a day, thousands of jobs...

Is this a fact? While there are studies that were bought to support your theory there are also numerous studies both sponsored and independent that contradict your assertion. While I don't dispute DFW's right to defend themselves in the court of public opinion, they have no proof that a hub degradation would actually occur. It certainly did not happen in Chicago over the past 3 years where a growing band of low-cost airline service at Midway was accompanied by an increase in AA/AE operation at Ohare. (reference: the Bureau of Transportation Statistics, Database T-100, Air Carriers: Domestic Market)

To guess that DFW may lose jobs is an alternative scenario and I don't argue your right to believe in that position. However, you must make the statement for what it truly is -- no more than a guess. Would Arpey actually de-hub DFW just to compete at Love field or is he blowing smoke? No one on these forums really knows. My guess is that the Chicago scenario is more likely to be repeated since it is a historical event that closely replicates the growth of low-fare competition from a same-market airport. But then, that is just my guess!

This is an incredibly dynamic situation and it's hard to assume that actions announced to the media in an effort to win public support of their side's viewpoint would be fulfilled exactly as promoted. I truly don't think either AA nor SWA, DFW nor Love Field has any ability to predict with certainty who will be winners, losers, or if there will be any losers at all. The only thing that is certain is that without the removal of Federal legislation local officials are powerless to resolve the issue.

My guess is that the Chicago scenario is more likely to be repeated since it is a historical event that closely replicates the growth of low-fare competition from a same-market airport. But then, that is just my guess!

MDW is closer to downtown than ORD, but is MDW closer to the majority of affluent and business customers than MDW? Do these customers drive by MDW on their way to ORD?

One difference between ORD/MDW and DFW/LUV is that because ORD is at or near capacity, it makes sense to have a reliever airport. DFW is nowhere near capacity. Obviously the population base in Chicagoland is large enough to support 2 hub airports, is the Dallas/Fort Worth area large enough?

Is this a fact? While there are studies that were bought to support your theory there are also numerous studies both sponsored and independent that contradict your assertion. While I don't dispute DFW's right to defend themselves in the court of public opinion, they have no proof that a hub degradation would actually occur. It certainly did not happen in Chicago over the past 3 years where a growing band of low-cost airline service at Midway was accompanied by an increase in AA/AE operation at Ohare. (reference: the Bureau of Transportation Statistics, Database T-100, Air Carriers: Domestic Market)

I agree that proof is highly relative, especially when hypothesizing about the future. But I have seen stats that cities with multiple airports (DC, Houston, and even Chicago) have less flights daily and less seats available than Dallas currently does. Yes, there are studies both ways, but I don't think repealing Wright is worth risking service to Dallas, especially when SW could serve the same destinations that it wants to serve from DFW.

I think the best scenario for AA would be status quoe.
I think the best scenario for SW, at least short to mid term, would be the repeal of Write.

I think the best compromise would be for SW to move to DFW. AA would have a fierce competitor. SW would gain access to its desired long haul flights. The metroplex would get lower fares on more flights AND is insured that it will maitain connections to the world.

Is there a way to edit a post?

I think the best scenario for AA would be status quoe.
I think the best scenario for SW, at least short to mid term, would be the repeal of Write.

I think the best compromise would be for SW to move to DFW. AA would have a fierce competitor. SW would gain access to its desired long haul flights. The metroplex would get lower fares on more flights AND is insured that it will maitain connections to the world.

The metroplex would get lower fares on more flights AND is insured that it will maitain connections to the world.
I still don't see how abolishing the Wright amendment would impact international traffic at DFW. Would AA commit hari-kari by getting rid of international flying at DFW, because there aren't enough gates at Love field to accomodate all their international flights and enough feeder flights to fill those planes. Would AA de-hub the airport where their headquarters is based?

... I don't think repealing Wright is worth risking service to Dallas,...
And that's exactly why the contentiousness of the issue. It's based purely on what people "think". Those who support keeping the Wright Amendment "think" that DFW will suffer. Those who support repeal "think" that AA and DFW will blossom with new traffic generated by the reduction of fares on competitive routes. In short, it's the glass half full vs half empty perspective.
....especially when SW could serve the same destinations that it wants to serve from DFW.
Read this observation by Mitchell Schnurnman describing his experience on an AA flight that landed at DFW. He shows the exact reason Southwest wants to avoid DFW by providing a concrete example, not just "theory." SWA and DFW just don't mix.

By DAVID WETHE
STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER via Knight Ridder

[snip]"Give 'em hell, Kevin," one employee said when Cox described Kelleher's 1990 deposition in a California lawsuit in which Cox said Kelleher appeared to support the Wright Amendment.

It was an opposite stance from his current position, which calls for a repeal of the 26-year-old law. D/FW and American Airlines want to keep the law.

Cox quoted Kelleher's deposition, saying: "We, too, have to agree as a matter of logic and principle that if you allowed Love Field to come up to a full-fledged hub in opposition to D/FW Airport that indeed air service to the Metroplex would suffer to some extent, because basically a hub-and-spoke system depends for its success upon attracting passengers from a multitude of spokes that will fill up an airplane going to another destination."

He turned and looked at Kelleher and asked, "Sound familiar?"

The loudest groans came several minutes later when Kelleher asked for a chance to respond.

"I have the original copy of the ..." Kelleher said.

And suddenly the feed cut out for about five minutes.

"All of the webcasts from all of the committees were all having problems," said Aaron Saunders, a spokesman for the Commerce Committee.

[snip]Fort Worth Star Telegram

Well, that's a load of b*****ks. No problem with the web feed I was watching. Cox was guilty of blatantly taking Kelleher's comments badly out of context. Herb, ever prepared, had the transcript and just read back the next line after the one Cox had quoted. Didn't just put Cox in his place, made him look a complete fool IMHO

Wonder why the feed quit at DFW ...