Discontinued cities from the old DAY hub

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Came across a story that made reference to the EVV airport; it has been a long time since it has been on the US route map. (Maybe the kiosk will let you try to check it for it :rolleyes: ). Made me think of how many cities once served from DAY that have been eliminated from the network.

After the DAY was shut down, most of these places were served from PIT for a while. And just think, these were mainline cities.

FNT
GRR
AZO
EVV
LAN
FWA
TOL
I think YNG and Muncie (don't know the code had PI Commuter flight from DAY.

Too lazy to check departedflights.com for others.

http://www.jetpiedmont.com/routes/?circa=19820711

BTW, I always wondered why they didn't fly to MBS; they flew everywhere else in Michigan.

Flew DAY-MCO
DAY-SFO
DAY-CAK
DAY-MIA
DAY-EKX (Elizabethtown-Ft.Knox)
DAY-TOL First Class on a 727
DAY-CLT
DAY-CMH

Just scratching the surface

PS...

I really , really really ,,,,
miss the popcorn in DAY.... and the frozen chocolate bananas... I really miss that hub...!!

Wasn't DAY, a PDT hub, a casualty of the PDT-US merger? I remember reading the announcement in 1991 that DAY would be eliminated as a hub (I guess in favor of PIT). BWI(also a PDT hub) eventually went that path thanks to the buildup of WN, and PHL being positioned as the crown jewel of the US system.

I can't believe DAY was able to sustain a nonstop to LAX. How long did that last?

Wasn't DAY, a PDT hub, a casualty of the PDT-US merger? I remember reading the announcement in 1991 that DAY would be eliminated as a hub (I guess in favor of PIT). BWI(also a PDT hub) eventually went that path thanks to the buildup of WN, and PHL being positioned as the crown jewel of the US system.

I can't believe DAY was able to sustain a nonstop to LAX. How long did that last?

Yes, it was a PI Hub.

There was non-stop to LAX,SAN,SFO.
Why do you think DAY could not sustain NS service to the West Coast ?
US ran west coast from PIT as well as near by CLE, CMH as well as IND.
The Hub was pulled down after the Merger between PI & US and it ran for nearly 10years.

Not to be nasty, but the original Piedmont's code was PAI, or PI. PDT is the current user of the name, not the original.

PI made a lot of things work that others couldn't . LAX was there for the duration.

I recall DAY-DFW as well. I seem to remember that PI started this route up prior to the "official" opening of the Hub due to AA pulling out of that route.
DAY was able to sustain a lot of routes, until the fella's at US got involved. I still think that the development of the PI Hubs in DAY, BWI, and SYR had the top-guns as US worried a bit since they were competing with PIT, PHL, and BUF. The elimination of the competition from PI, was most likely the reason that US purchased PI in the first place. After the dust settled, CLT was about all that was left of PI. I guess that's better than only having 31 MD-80's left within a few years of buying PSA, and nothing else.

Thats a great list. I started with PSA on the ramp in PIT (E Gates) back in the late 90's. Those are alot of the cities we served with Dornier and SAABs. EVV was served by PSA and PDT via turboprop as late as 2005.