Discrimination lawsuit filed against UsAir

lineguy43

Veteran
Jun 21, 2007
Ok so two gentleman of color got sore that a USAir agent denied them boarding into first class in jeans and baseball caps and told them they would have to change clothes to ride in F/C and got mad that two other young men one white and one filipino were wearing jeans so it must be discrimination cuz they are black right? Well besides being black they are also stupid since these two were riding on an employee buddy pass. I wonder who the idiot UsAir employee was that gave them those passes is. Maybe he/she needs to have his/her passes taken away for good. I don't see them winning this case. I remember when I started in the airline biz in the early 80's we had to wear a suit and tie to ride in F/C. Doesn't surprise me NBC is reporting it like this.

http://www.today.com/video/today/51527403/#51527403

Reactions: 1 person
Somebody didn't read the "guest pass travel guide" rules in Wings.

That somebody ("family friend") might be looking to be DRIVING for their next trip as I think their pass privileges might be in jeopardy.

I really hope that this doesn't cause the company to rethink the whole buddy pass program. For years we didn't have such a thing, and if they had reason to they could take it away.

Whoever the idiot employee was that didn't brief their "buddies" should pay the price, not the rest of the employees. I always print out the pamphlet and make sure they read it, besides being very careful who I allow to use them.

I really hope that this doesn't cause the company to rethink the whole buddy pass program. For years we didn't have such a thing, and if they had reason to they could take it away.

Whoever the idiot employee was that didn't brief their "buddies" should pay the price, not the rest of the employees. I always print out the pamphlet and make sure they read it, besides being very careful who I allow to use them.

No one should be permitted to check-in for a buddy pass without acknowledging that he/she has read the policies which apply. All boarding passes issued online in these cases should be clearly marked: GATE CHECK-IN REQUIRED. Then, at the gate, the buddy pass holder should be required to SIGN that statement again (and offered a copy of the policy.)

The employee should have the cost of litigation withheld from his/her paycheck.

Reactions: 2 people
Gave a pass to my wife's friend and she argued with the gate agent of the jeans policy (even though they were expensive designer jeans).
I received a call at work. Needless to say, she paid full fair for her trip back as I pulled the rest of her flights from the system.
Last time I did that.
Discrimination? BAAHHHAAAA!
Now it doesn't matter as UnitedIntel took away retiree buddy passes.
B) xUT

I now understand why Northwest airlines made employees ride with their buddy pass travelers. I just hope that the company forbids any buddy pass traveler in first class under and circumstance. I can see both of these rules forthcoming.

I like how they show the guys standing in front of the US Airways ticket counter and they have a picture of a white guy and filipino guy dressed in street clothes, which I'm sure are not the guys who were on the plane. Kudos to NBC for reporting discrimination and then then at the end of the garbage story they note that they flew on a deeply discounted buddy pass. No wonder they are last in the ratings.

Note to US Airways - Do NOT settle. If they lose in federal court they will pay your legal fees.

At AA when you register anyone on your travel list you have a guest/family member link to print or email to that person on travel rules and regulations including dress code. Any violations, the Employee is held 100% responsible for his or her actions. I read the story and watched the video. The whole story needs to be told. I do not know what the dress code is at USAir but it is similar at all airlines.

==========================================================================

Important Information
for Guest Travelers on American Airlines and American Eagle. Things You Need to Know about Guest Travel
0spacer.gif

As a guest traveler, you need to know American Airlines' policies regarding our Employee Travel Program prior to your travel. This will help make your trip more pleasant and speed the check-in process along.
Our employees are responsible for their travel privileges even when not traveling with their guest travelers.
Proper behavior and correct use of travel privileges make for an enjoyable trip.

• Ensure you are dressed appropriately as required by AA's dress code, which is explained below.

• Understand this is for STANDBY travel only for personal pleasure trips and cannot be transferred or sold to anyone. It is against our company policy to hold a confirmed reservation when attempting to utilize company non-revenue pass privileges.

• Ensure you have been flight listed for your trip at least 72 hours prior to departure. Your sponsoring employee is responsible for checking flight availability and creating your flight listing. You may obtain gate and time information on the internet at or by calling .

• Check-in using a major credit card at Self-Service Check-In machines where available; otherwise you may check-in with an agent. Please note, First Class/Premium Check-In lanes are for revenue customers only. Please enter the Main Cabin Check-In lanes for assistance. When checking in with an agent, identify yourself as a non-revenue traveler.

• Travelers should limit checked and carry-on baggage to the number and size allowed for revenue customers. You may have one (1) carry-on item, one (1) personal item and check two (2) bags free of charge per person on all domestic flights. Personal items include purse, briefcase, laptop, small backpack, or other similar items. Strollers and car seats are exempt from excess baggage fees and do not count toward your allowable total. For details regarding overweight and excess baggage, please discuss with your travel sponsor prior to travel. Information can be located in the Travel Rules, Information, and Privileges (TRIP) book online.

• Be courteous to airline personnel and follow instructions of the agents and crewmembers.

• Always have your proper identification and other required documents such as passports and visas for international travel ready and available for the agent.

• There are some items that airlines consider hazardous and are prohibited from transport. Please refer to or for more information.

• Once checked in and placed on the priority list you will receive a Priority Verification Card to enter through the security checkpoint.

• Upon reaching the departure area for your flight, please take a seat and wait for your name to be called by the gate agent. If time permits, you are welcome to use the Non-Revenue Lounges where available, however the Admirals Clubs are only available for our revenue customers. Please do not attempt to use company phones or computers.

• When you are accommodated for a flight, we ask that you board the aircraft when directed.

• Once onboard, please place your personal item underneath your assigned seat to assist with luggage space. We ask that remain in your assigned seat during the flight. Non-revenue customers are not to ask for special services or considerations such as special meals or complimentary products such as alcoholic drinks, buy-on-board products, or headsets from ground or in-flight personnel except for medical aid that may be required in flight.

• If you decide to drink, drink responsibly.
Important Reminders

• Flights may fill up quickly. Please remember that revenue customers and higher priority employee or other non-revenue travelers will be boarded before you.

• Embargoes and operational restrictions may limit or eliminate accommodation of standby customers.

• D3 Guests are not allowed to travel with pets, whether checked as luggage or carried in the cabin, unless the pet is a service animal (i.e. seeing or hearing assist).
Help Keep Our Aircraft Clean

• Before deplaning, please pick up after yourself and the immediate area around you. Give your newspapers and service items to the flight attendants prior to landing, or take them with you. This will provide more time for our flight and ground crews to focus on other cleaning items within the cabin to ensure we have the best product for our customers.
Children in First and Business Class

• Non-rev children may be accommodated in the premium cabin as long as they are six (6) years of age or older, regardless of aircraft type.
Dress Code for Pass Travelers

• American and American Eagle have a dress code for traveler’s using employee travel privileges that should be followed and is enforced. Travelers who are improperly dressed will not be accommodated on the flight. Attire for all cabins should be well groomed, neat, clean, and in good taste. If in doubt, don't wear it. Traditional or casual business attire is required for first or business class accommodation. If a traveler is properly attired for coach but not for first or business, and only first or business is available, the traveler will not be accommodated in first or business class. Coats, jackets, hosiery/sock and collars are not required. Capri pants are acceptable in all cabins.

• The following attire is not acceptable in ANY cabin:
  • Shorts or T-Shirts
  • Sweatshirts or tank tops
  • Jogging suits, workout clothing or leggings
  • Micro-mini skirts
  • Bare-midriff or provocative/revealing/see-through clothing
  • Beach clothing or footwear, flip-flops
  • Clothing with offensive terminology or graphics
  • Clothing with holes/ragged or cutoff edges

The following attire is not acceptable in FIRST or BUSINESS class:

• Denim clothing of any kind or color
  • Athletic footwear
  • Split skirts above the knee
  • Skorts

We are happy to be able to offer our employees and their guests pass travel privileges and trust you will respect the privilege in order to preserve it. Enjoy your flight!
0spacer.gif

I would like to read the actual complaint. It would be fun to find out the details and how much of an imagination the lawyer has, in order to try to make something out of nothing.

The media always leaves important details out of what actually happened. You can see it when the reporter says that they were denied access to "THEIR FIRST CLASS SEATS." Right there is the biggest misinformation, in my believe, about the whole thing - as a buddy-pass does not equal a first class seat.

I seriously doubt that this case will ever reach a significant stage in the court system, as they obviously are just seeking for media attention.

I wonder what the employee has to say about the situation to the company. It is the responsibility of the employee to inform the traveling guests about the policies and guidelines.

Reactions: 3 people
It would actually be nice to see some sort of dress code for all first class travelers. You don't have to wear a suit or a dress. However, can we please part with the cutoff shorts, pajama bottoms and wife beater shirts already? It is one thing to dress confortable, but it would be nice to see some class put back into first. The whole plane for that matter!

As far as the two men. Where is the employee in all this? I would think they would have cleared up any confusion of the policy they forgot to share or what will happen now, before the call to an attorney took place. I think they are most likely former "buddies" by now. Come on already. The story said they were returning from a funeral. It would seem not too big of a stretch that they were wearing something more appropriate there. Guess we should never assume though.

I'm curious to konw the whole story. I think that the employee might have SOLD the buddy passes and these guys thought that they bought actual first class tickets. Nowhere in the story did the 2 gentelmen ever acknowledge that they were on a buddy pass. It's happened before where people sold buddy passes as actual tickets. I can't wait to read the actual federal lawsuit and how it was worded.

I'm curious to konw the whole story. I think that the employee might have SOLD the buddy passes and these guys thought that they bought actual first class tickets. Nowhere in the story did the 2 gentelmen ever acknowledge that they were on a buddy pass. It's happened before where people sold buddy passes as actual tickets. I can't wait to read the actual federal lawsuit and how it was worded.

If the buddy passes were "sold," the employee can kiss his/her job good-bye.

Reactions: 5 people
It would actually be nice to see some sort of dress code for all first class travelers. You don't have to wear a suit or a dress. However, can we please part with the cutoff shorts, pajama bottoms and wife beater shirts already? It is one thing to dress confortable, but it would be nice to see some class put back into first. The whole plane for that matter!

As far as the two men. Where is the employee in all this? I would think they would have cleared up any confusion of the policy they forgot to share or what will happen now, before the call to an attorney took place. I think they are most likely former "buddies" by now. Come on already. The story said they were returning from a funeral. It would seem not too big of a stretch that they were wearing something more appropriate there. Guess we should never assume though.

Maybe that is what they where wearing at the funeral.

Yes, the Lawsuit is crazy, but how many employees know it is Acceptable to wear Jeans in First Class? My Son is often given a hard time about wearing jeans(They are not worn or faded) and told he can not upgrade because of them. Below is the dress code from the Employee Travel Manual which can be found on wings...

DRESS GUIDELINES FOR LEISURE TRAVEL
US Airways asks its employees and their pass riders to exercise good sound judgment when selecting
their travel attire. Attire should be in good repair, neat, clean, and conservative in appearance. In all
situations common sense should be the determining factor.
Unacceptable attire in either Coach or First Class/Envoy includes any clothing that is torn, faded,
soiled, wrinkled, cut−off, has ragged edges or holes; clothing with offensive graphics or terminology;
and provocative or revealing clothing such as micro/mini−skirts, bare midriff, halter, tank, tube, sports
bra−type tops, and pajamas.
Coach Class: Pass riders may wear casual attire, including shorts (no shorter than three inches above
the knee), t−shirts, jogging suits or athletic clothing, baseball−style caps, beach footwear (including
flip−flops and Croc−style footwear), and athletic shoes.
First Class or Envoy: Pass riders may wear casual attire, including blue or black denim jeans, skirts,
capri−style pants, and dress sandals, provided the attire is in good repair, neat, clean, and conserva-
tive. Unacceptable attire in First Class or Envoy includes t−shirts, shorts, jogging suits, athletic gear,
baseball−style caps, athletic−style shoes, or beach footwear (including flip−flops and Croc−style foot-
wear).
A good recommendation to follow is: “if you have to question if what you are wearing is appropriate,
then it most likely is not and should not be worn for travel on US Airways flights as a non−revenue
passenger.”