Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
November 3, 2004
File: USA-18
2004-120

IAM / US Airways 1113 Update

Dear Brothers and Sisters:

The Mechanic and Related Negotiating Committee has been meeting with US Airways in regard to the 1113© process.

You have seen the 1113© proposal to turn US Airways into a low cost carrier. This proposal, as it stands, is not acceptable and the union will continue to meet with to with the company to protect the membership's interests during the bankruptcy process.

The IAM has received the 1113© proposal for the Maintenance Instructors and it is available on the District 142 web site, www.iamdl142.org. (Maintenance Instructors 1113© Proposal)

On Tuesday November 2, 2004 the company presented the Negotiating Committee a proposal concerning retiree healthcare benefits under Section 1114 of the bankruptcy code. The committee has requested additional information from the company. This proposal will be made available on the District 142 web site shortly.

We will continue to update you as information becomes available.

Sincerely and fraternally,

William O’Driscoll
PRESIDENT-DIRECTING
GENERAL CHAIRMAN
DISTRICT LODGE #142

Bill Freiberger Tony Giammarco
General Chairmen
District Lodge 142

Tom Regan
Special Representative

Tom Belmont Bill Hoogenhout Frank Schifano
Negotiating Committee Members

Interesting but not surprising that the IAM would use US AIRWAYS chosen terms like 'Low Cost Carrier' in the midst of an 'express carrier' proposal. I mean, looking over your company's proposal suggest that "low cost carrier" would actually be a step up from the proposal which is clearly more representative of an 'express carrier'. I would suggest that the IAM start 'defining' the language as opposed to allowing your company to manufacture darn near every definition and image it wants to.

When US AIRWAYS says it 'just wants to become a LCC" it does not sound unreasonable to the media, etc., but when they want to offer 'express airline or prop jet airline' benefits then their image holding to such a position is inequitable.

At any rate, whether or not one thinks US AIRWAYS proposal is more LCC or express type, the IAM should put the word out there that the company proposals are nothing more than 'express airline'. As for 141 members and utility at 142, the IAM wouldn't be too far off base by suggesting that US AIRWAYS proposed benefit package offers less security and fairness than 'part-timers working at Walmart'. IMO that would be a fairly accurate assessment. In the end, we all know what the IAM will do....what it does best.

As a side, I heard US AIRWAYS took a bunch of managers and their spouses over to Germany to enjoy things over there for a week or two....is this true?

regards,

Glad to see you add valubale insight to the topic at hand.

700UW said:
Glad to see you add valubale insight to the topic at hand.
[post="197879"][/post]​
I am merely stating FACTS!!!! This damn union had PLENTY of oppertunities to "open" the stand, and they refused!! Now, the fat lady is starting to sing, and YOU are scrambling on what to do!!! Typical rhetoric of... the Co did this, they did that.....BLAH......BLAH.......BLAH!!!!!! What did I say MONTHS ago???? They were going to do what they wanted to, union, or no union!!! You badmouthed me then, as you do now, and it turns out all of your rhetoric, and "FACTS"....were all for NOTHING!!! Keep the faith, 700......Your going to need it!!! GOOD DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The fact is 700, if you call this an update, I say it's the union form of, If they want us to keep them updated, lets give them something. This letter you posted means nothing.

Well I would not expect a member of management to understand it. Do I need to explain it to you?

Your Immediate boss McMullen is there so is Presti, you can ask them, they are quite nice to deal with.

The word I got from a meeting in PIT with Frank Schifano was this....and might I add it was of no surprise to me.

Schifano was quoted as saying that they were only interested in keeping as many jobs as possible in this new-found negotiating process. How noble of the IAM...of course they want to retain the greatest number of jobs possible , that lines the pockets of the IAM to the best degree. However the wage issues seemed to be of little concern. They get more headcount..and we have to live with crap wages and benefits from now on.

BTW 700UW....before you get on your "high horse" and try to dispute this with rhetoric....the folks in attendance at this meeting all got the distinct impression that the IAM was prepared to deal the "Related" side of this process away without even a fight.

700UW said:
Well I would not expect a member of management to understand it. Do I need to explain it to you?

Your Immediate boss McMullen is there so is Presti, you can ask them, they are quite nice to deal with.
[post="197895"][/post]​
When are you going to comprehend, dude???? It's OVER!! All this union "chest pounding" is empty rhetoric!!!!! Get a life!!.....MOVE ON!!....Oh, I forgot, your trying to get to the International for a lifetime job of meaningless proportions! GOOD DAY!!!!!

PF,

From the Districts President's Mouth " We are not going to let them eliminate Utility", I was there and so was Mr Schifano. And this was after your meeting with Schifano.

NFS, guess you did not learn, glad to see you are attacking and insulting once again.

aerosmith said:
NFS's head is obviously up his butt. When one is ignorant of a situation one should check out the facts before they run their mouth. :down:
[post="197898"][/post]​
HMMM... Nice post aero!!!!! I'm Ignorant???? This place has been a hell hole for the last 10-12 years, and I am moving on.......I'm ignorant??? Your a funny guy!! Your "cartoon" avatar obviously shows your intelligence!!! LOL!! Hope you prepared, as I did....Because if you did not, you have a LONG road ahead of you. Good luck!! Oh.......and GOOD DAY!!!!!!!!

700UW said:
PF,

From the Districts President's Mouth " We are not going to let them eliminate Utility", I was there and so was Mr Schifano. And this was after your meeting with Schifano.
[post="197908"][/post]​

Well Gee Wiz,

Mixed messages from my Union is just what I need to be hearing now. Let's say one thing to this group of IAM'ers...and then say something else the next day to another portion of the membership. Frankly....I think the Kool-Aid is getting the best of you.

So it is all about headcount..and accumulating dues....wages and benefits be damned right? The company gets theirs...the union get a better shake on numbers...and those whom remain get a sharp stick in the eye.

It is about protecting everyone, not one group versus another.

The District President leads negotiations and he sets the tone.

700UW said:
PF,

NFS, guess you did not learn, glad to see you are attacking and insulting once again.
[post="197908"][/post]​
To quote my FAVORITE President...."Well..there you go again"!!...Thats all you have to say to me is that I "attack"... and "insult"!!!! Typical response from someone who THOUGHT they had all the answers, but, obviously, after all this time,YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! have been proved wrong, and I WAS RIGHT!!!!!!! This place is toast....I prepared....you did not...and YOU are bitter, not me, my friend!! Good luck.......Oh, by the way.......GOOD DAY!!!!!!