Diversity

Waaaaaaaay too much, in light of the fact that they don't practice what they preach.

(eolesen - before you open your corporate spy mouth on this one.....check the state and federal court records (available free on line)...and have a look at all the employees of AA who have sued their butts off for blatant discrimination...and won!)

Lets start this thread out right. Lets keep it on topic, lets keep it airline related and lets keep it clean or it will be shut down and warnings will be given. Thanks.

You know, you can chastize the messenger all you like - but the proof is out there.

AA's diversity program is a front to 1: mitigate possible damages; and 2: to pull in revenue from minority groups who might otherwise go elsewhere.

Now, if you'd like to address AA's record on disabled employees, we could have a lot of fun with that!

Hate? Ewwwww, such an ugly word. Just because I'll confront rhetoric and pure corporate BS when I see it, doesn't mean that I hate anyone. I can be disgusted with the actions of anyone without "hating" them, but when they do it repeatedly, then by their own actions, the hate becomes mandatory.

I don't think that diversity has anything to do with the loss of the business traveler. Years of high pricing coupled with a republican controlled government is more at fault for that. The airlines delivered a fancy product and charged top dollar for it, but the fad wore off. Economic conditions dictated that the fancy product was no longer necessary, unless it was received via frequent flyer upgrades. Now, there's simply nothing to upgrade to other than a larger seat and it's just not worth the price, so why show loyalty to any single carrier to earn miles when they really aren't good for much anymore.

Now, if AA really wants to get their planes full and at a profitable (reasonable profit being the key) price, all they need to do is restore some type of commission program with ALL travel agents again. The carriers that still pay a commission (low cost carriers) are flourishing while the big boys that snubbed the biggest chunk of their B&B are crying foul.

But...what does any of that have to do with diversity, eh?

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/24/2003 10:47:36 AM WingNaPrayer wrote:

to pull in revenue from minority groups who might otherwise go elsewhere.

----------------
[/blockquote]
I do not care if the customer is green. The business men and women that have gone to competitors or have basically left flying altogether, are the ones I am concerned with. If they make up a part of the revenue that is missing, then we need to get them back. But I doubt that their "Diverseness" is any reason why they left this airline. WNP you seem to be a rather "Diverse" individual, why do you hate so much?

Keep it clean? Ok by me, but I declare a foul on WNP already. I just want to know what the annual cost is for this program. That is all I want this thread to be. My best guess is that Eric is going to be able to provide this info, no matter how rude WnP becomes. What say you Eric?

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/24/2003 10:13:37 AM scot wrote:

Lets start this thread out right. Lets keep it on topic, lets keep it airline related and lets keep it clean or it will be shut down and warnings will be given. Thanks.
----------------
[/blockquote]
scot,

With all due respect to Buck, I could care less how much American spends on their diversity program.But,I am a little bit interested in why a moderator would issue such a warning without merit?

I just want to know what percentage of the annual budget diversity comprises? If for example that it is a major contributor to the cash burn, then this needs to be reviewed.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/24/2003 12:25:51 PM Buck wrote:

I just want to know what percentage of the annual budget diversity comprises? If for example that it is a major contributor to the cash burn, then this needs to be reviewed.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Hmmmmmm. What specifically about AA's diversity program do you think might be contributing to the "cash burn"?

I know you can't be advocating wiping out the program entirely and returning to the days of rampant discrimination. . .so what is it in your opinion? "Diversity" covers such a broad range of things.

Is it not as painfully obvious to the moderators that WNP is trying VERY, VERY hard to take this in a different direction? I think the original posting was just a simple question that could be answered by a few people here. WNP is taking it in an entirely different direction. Nobody asked how many law suits there were as a result of discrimination, etc. yet WNP keeps going back to this and it was not addressing the qustion that the original poster asked.

Maybe the question should be:

"Who even knows how much AA spends on diversity", to even answer the topic question? One would have to include everyone who investigates, participates, the accused, publications, and many other expenses.

I believe diversity and tolerance is an important part of any work place. However, the OVER BEARING nature and zero tolerance without a clear and defined set of rules leads to out of control expense.

How the hell am I supposed to know what "offends" another? Limits of tolerance in regards to offensive behavior are garnered mostly from parental guidance during our childhood and moral opinions. Which is as impossible to define as it must be to budget.