DL/LCC Swap Slots At LGA/DCA

chucky

Senior
Sep 13, 2006
Delta Reinforces New York Commitment with Plan for Domestic Hub at LaGuardia Airport
Agreement with US Airways will allow more customers to travel to and from New York's preferred domestic airport with increased efficiency

NEW YORK, Aug. 12 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Delta Air Lines (NYSE: DAL - News) today announced it has reached a definitive agreement with US Airways (NYSE: LCC - News) to exchange certain flying rights and airport facilities at New York's LaGuardia and Washington's Reagan National airports, allowing Delta to expand its New York customer service and convenience by creating a domestic hub at LaGuardia Airport.

The agreement, which is subject to government approvals, calls for US Airways to transfer 125 operating slot pairs to Delta at LaGuardia and Delta to transfer 42 operating slot pairs to US Airways at Reagan National. The airlines also will swap gates at LaGuardia between the Marine Air Terminal and US Airways' Terminal C to consolidate all Delta operations -- including the Delta Shuttle -- into an expanded main terminal facility with 11 additional gates for Delta customers.

"Delta continues to take innovative steps to adapt our business to the changing competitive and economic environment we face," said Delta Chief Executive Officer Richard Anderson. "Increasing Delta's service in the world's most competitive and largest air service market is a key part of our long-term strategy.

Press Release

What does this mean for reagan national?

Are they decreasing the service out of Reagan?

What does the 42 pairs mean? Is this a week?

Thanks in advance.

well it appears US would grow at that airport while DL would do the same with the trade..

this sort of makes sense to me, because they already have a very strong presence in NY with the international flights and the shuttle, so to build a domestic hub just makes sense serving that geographical region.

we all know the industry is cyclical and there is always some point when there is recovery during downturns.

with that said,

personally, I think this is a very wise move to make at this time...in order to position the company for long term success.

for the smaller communities it would be an instant upgrade in service.. if currently a turbo prop is utilized and regional/mainline jets would be available for service going forward.

if this creates more jobs and serves the communities well,

then I think its great news.

(if approved)

So it's going to be a double hub strategy?
LGA for all domestic, and JFK for all international flights.
Where does EWR play into all of this? DL have a presence there, so is EWR (with all of it's delays) be sort of a reliever or overflow to LGA? And will they be in it for the long haul?

Wasn't US the largest carrier out of LGA? With this swap, will DL be the biggest, and how does this affect US?

So it's going to be a double hub strategy?

More than that I see this as a strategic move against Southwest Airlines who just recently
began serving Laguardia. A cash weak USAirways could have easily sold the slots to
Southwest for a chunk of cash. Perhaps DL saw this comming and jumped on the opportunity.

I wonder exactly how much money SWA would have paid USAirways for those 125 slots. That could have been worth about $250,000,000 right? I think that US should have waited for more offers. FL has been trying for over 10 years to build up a huge presence at LGA. SWA could have offered some big bucks too.
This deal works out great for DL since they will be a huge player in NYC. And the international routes that they are swapping are assets that DL doesn't need at all. This is a day for Delta to celebrate!

Does anyone know the list of markets that DL intends to preserve or add service to (from LGA)? They indicated that they would more than double the number of destinations that they serve from LGA, add or preserve LGA service to more than 30 small to medium markets and add 12 LGA markets that US didn't serve.

A shame really that Delta didn't do these types of acquisitions
and trades instead of the NW deal.

Delta says it is reducing its service from 89 flights a day to 55 at DCA.

Does anyone have a sense of what will be cut there?

Thanks in advance.

more than likely there are enough locals to support a new hub at LGA, but then I wonder about having an International operation at JFK and then a Domestic hub at LGA in regards those passengers who may come in on an International flight and then want to connect to a Domestic flight and visa versa.. that may be available in the future at LGA (if approved).

even though the airports are not that far apart, for the sense of ease of connection for premium passengers or those who may just want the added convenience, how do they connect those two airports?

can they utilize helicopter service between both airports?

even though taking a cab is always an option..or a dedicated bus.. that would involve leaving the airport, collecting luggage, taking a ride to another airport, navigating in traffic, going through security again and then..

making a connection.

I just wonder how that will be handled because surely.. there will be some passengers who will connect at both airports through one itinerary.

I thought I remembered there was a JFK- Manhattan helicopter shuttle, can some of the slots at LGA be utilized for a new helicopter route from JFK to LGA?

if there is to be a dedicated Domestic hub at one airport and an International operation at another they are going to have to connect the two airports somehow.

or can an International flight be moved from JFK to LGA?

more than likely there are enough locals to support a new hub at LGA, but then I wonder about having an International operation at JFK and then a Domestic hub at LGA in regards those passengers who may come in on an International flight and then want to connect to a Domestic flight and visa versa.. that may be available in the future at LGA (if approved).

Other than service to airports with US pre-clearance (Canada, Aruba, Bermuda, Nassau, Freeport) there are no int'l flights that serve LGA. Remember the perimeter rule is up except Saturday, which is when US serves AUA, SJU, and STT. What will probably happen is that some of the domestic feed at JFK will get moved to LGA, but they need that feed at JFK. There's enough local population to justify a domestic hub at LGA and the international operation at JFK.

Other than service to airports with US pre-clearance (Canada, Aruba, Bermuda, Nassau, Freeport) there are no int'l flights that serve LGA. Remember the perimeter rule is up except Saturday, which is when US serves AUA, SJU, and STT.
oh..

Im not based in NYC so I dont know all the rules set up there for those routes and frequencies.

What will probably happen is that some of the domestic feed at JFK will get moved to LGA, but they need that feed at JFK.
I would imagine there would still be flights that connect JFK to the other domestic and of course select International hubs, however.. I just wonder about moving more domestic from JFK to LGA (if that is proposed)..because if someone was in one of the communities (that would route them through to the new LGA hub, yet have plans to take an International flight out of JFK, (where a domestic flight from that same community is not available directly to JFK) how will that be handled connecting the two airports.. while taking into consideration convenience for the customer and especially if that customer just happens to be an elite or premium?

There's enough local population to justify a domestic hub at LGA and the international operation at JFK.
I agree with that based on the size of the population..it will be a very significant operation and in my opinion has great potential being very successful and hopefully there will be new job creation.