Dl To Reduce Dca Schedule

As per another board,

DL will cancel DCA-FLL/MCO/JAX. (DL has previously canceled DCA-TPA/PBI.)

DL will also lower frequencies on other routes, including making DCA-BOS just 6x RJ.

This is all a result of losing the leased NW slots that US will now be leasing. (But I'll bet GoFares didn't help DL much!)

Very good news for US.

RowUnderDCA said:
Is this Delta abandoning its 'let's out last U' strategy?

Or at least for now? Seems like a strange time to change course right at U's crisis.
[post="170634"][/post]​

If they are losing slots, they really have no choice. That being said, why NW would let its partner lose slots is interesting.

RowUnderDCA said:
Is this Delta abandoning its 'let's out last U' strategy?

Or at least for now? Seems like a strange time to change course right at U's crisis.
[post="170634"][/post]​

USFlyer said:
If they are losing slots, they really have no choice. That being said, why NW would let its partner lose slots is interesting.
[post="170636"][/post]​

DL did have a choice. They could have kept leasing the slots. They chose not to; they thought NW wanted too much money. Obviously, the DCA slots were worth more to US than they were worth to DL. (Possibly because DL was using RJs on most of the routes whereas US might be going to use more mainline.)

As for why NW would let its partner lose the slots, it's that simple. Being partners is very nice, but if US is paying more money, NW would be silly not to take it.

Legacy carriers ALL need to get off each other ass until they have time to restructure ..... they are playing into LCC's hands.

Maybe DL is betting that US Airways's slots will become available in short order, or at least they could lease some from US (or whatever is left) for less than the NW slots, in order to restore the service at some point in the future.

PineyBob said:
Because maybe:

3. GoFares are causing BIG trouble on Virginia Ave. DL's key eastern markets are under assault from all the suspects that are after US. Now the sworn enemy of DL (US) is joining forces with the dark side (LCC's). Not good news.
[post="170643"][/post]​

Hardly. These RJ routes to Florida have never made money since DL started them two years ago. 50 seat RJ's are not meant to fly low-yield Florida routes from major cities.

DL is sending the RJ's to pick up more traffic in CVG as US slowly disappears from the Midwest. Consider that today alone DL announced a "GoFares" type plan for every single route out of CVG to the lower 48. That's more routes than US has offered after months and months of GoFares.

I cannot believe that DL could not use those slots to do some point-to-point flying in some other business markets. This is where I wonder how you reduce your incoming revenue and stay afloat unless those routes were just hemorraghing(sp) that badly. Just my thoughts.......

Undoubtedly the economics didn't make sense - pure and simple. Using Rjs in a leisure market with slot leases is a dicey propostion. Competing w/ RJs against US mainline flights plus other carriers doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Still, Delta is not exactly slot deprived at DCA as it stands and isn't even using 757s which they could if the demand is great enough.
Yes, it is very likely there will be an abundance of DCA slots on the market soon and maybe Delta thinks the government is going to toss slot controls at DCA out the window completely.

Perhaps... But if US Airways goes bust, then I suspect the DCA slot pie will get a whole new distribution... given than DAL can already cover its "Core" schedule (i.e. flights to hubs) then they can re-establish point-to-point service when/if they get slots for free (rather than pay a lease).

Itrade,
don't forget that ORD is not slot controlled. It has the heavy hand of the FAA on it now but it is not slot controlled.

Delta just can't admit they're being whooped by the LCC and can't compete. DL is also close to BK and they want to make it look like they're hurting worse then they really are. All the talk from DL employees after UAL and US filed BK that they're kings and better then everyone else. It looks like the so called "kings" are being beat to a pulp! :lol:

gso-crew said:
Legacy carriers ALL need to get off each other ass until they have time to restructure ..... they are playing into LCC's hands.
[post="170655"][/post]​

===============================================

gso-crew;

I may be mistaken, but I feel reasonably sure of 2 "legacy's" that won't be restructuring, and are lying 99% submerged(just 2 pair's of eyes above the water), waiting for "lunch/dinner".

One begins with the letter "A" and has a hub in Texas,
and the other with an "N", and has a hub in Michigan.

NH/BB's

NH/BB,

Perhaps the big "A" in TX will not be so fortunate when the bis A$$ in the Big White house in DC is removed from office. No TXan in power might be better for the country and the world and definitely not better for AA.

VOTE KERRY!!!