Do Things Change?

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Webcast Question

ARLINGTON (theHub.com) - As a reminder to employees who have not yet had a chance to view Dave Siegel's March 24 webcast, the session is available on the Internet through Wednesday. The address is http:\\usairways.internetstreaming.com. Videotapes also are available throughout the system.

Since the webcast, US Airways Today has been running answers to commonly asked questions from employees sent via e-mail that Dave Siegel didn't have time to answer during the web session. Here's today's entry:

Q. Some employees feel like they've been lied to. Morale is in the tank. Why should we believe you now?

A. Many employees have been confronted by customers during a schedule delay, wanting to know exactly when their flight will depart or arrive. And they do their best to answer the question. But they also know that changing circumstances are beyond their control. Did the employee lie to the customer when he or she said the flight would depart by 2 p.m., only to have a creeping delay push back the departure to 6 p.m.? Of course not.

The company is in the same situation. Industry conditions have changed and continue to change. We either adapt or become irrelevant. That's not an easy message to deliver and even harder to receive.

Dave Siegel and other senior officers don't get up every morning thinking, "How can I take advantage of the employees today?" He's trying to save the company. There are tough, unpopular decisions to be made, but as CEO, that's his job. Those of you who have been around have heard this same message about high costs for the last 15 years from at least two other management teams. It wouldn't matter who sits in Siegel's chair -- the reality would be the same.

USA320Pilot said:
Webcast Question

Dave Siegel and other senior officers don't get up every morning thinking, "How can I take advantage of the employees today?" He's trying to save the company. There are tough, unpopular decisions to be made, but as CEO, that's his job. Those of you who have been around have heard this same message about high costs for the last 15 years from at least two other management teams. It wouldn't matter who sits in Siegel's chair -- the reality would be the same.
Now ask me how I would answer that question?????????? :angry:

USA320Pilot said:
Those of you who have been around have heard this same message about high costs for the last 15 years from at least two other management teams. It wouldn't matter who sits in Siegel's chair -- the reality would be the same.
IF that is supposed to be an impressive statement as to why the employees should be swayed into voting for this new plan, it isn't going to work. It actually points out that historically management has failed, repeatedly, and that it is hopeless.

Nice job!

I think anyone who thinks that dave gets up everymorning thinking how to screw the employees has some serious issues. Nothing anyone says here on these boards will change how the few who "distain" dave view him. Ill say once again that the majority of our employees are not as radical, and can see the entire picture. Pit employees esp the ones we see here, are outraged and have nothing to loose since their base in pit days are numbered. Some will rather see the entire company fail to make a point with no regard to human beings and the majority of people left. Pits writing on the wall has been written years ago. Dave didnt start that process nor did he cause todays environment. Dave is nt perfect and nor is any ceo out there. Some people on here need drama and need someone to blame. Dave shouldve cut more drastically in bk and didnt , and i fault him for that .Theres no doubt that in the end to get what this company needs in order to survive, this airline will once again go into bk, and this time i wonder if we will come out of it. I will continue to speak my opinion as well as my mind, as Im sure others will. I call it like i see it, and I will not deny myself and my thoughts the opportunity to face reality. I in my mind will fight the real enemy. I will not allow myself to to contribute to self implosion of this company.

Usfliboi,

You will not allow yourself an "open mind, and you are in major denial. The way you speak about our CEO implies you have more of an intimacy than one might suspect there, big guy ;) , specifically your comment on knowing what he thinks about when he rises in the morning...LOL....

The answer to this question is the absolute worst I have ever seen. This further proves how INCOMPETENT management really is. They need to get another Spin Doctor!!!!

Imagine Herb Kelleher or Gordon Bethune answering that question that way.

Imagine Vince Lombardi or George Patton answering that question that way.

It is absolutely no wonder why morale is low.

No wonder why incompetence in running unchecked in Crystal City.

These guys truly do not understand the importance of a motivated work force.

Unless that changes we are doomed. With or without more givebacks.

It is just that simple. Nothing about it is complicated. Incompetence is King.

mr

Right. And Dave did not get up this morning and ask why there are over 250 outstanding griviences from the pilot group alone. The man cannot even honor his own word and now we get this pathetic wah wah. I have said it before. U will not survive with this man at the helm.

700UW said:
The company wii go chapter 7 and liquidate.
No, that will not happen. There is no way they will liquidate with a Chapter 7 filing. There are many other alternatives available to management to go to a Chapter 7 filing and none of them are going to be very appealing to the employees imo.

insp89 said:
Can I borrow your crystal ball ???? I need to make a few wagers.
I was responding to usfliboi saying US will go back in bankruptcy

right! it's never the eployees fault!

same old drumbeat...... you guys and gals need to wake up, evolve, adapt, or leave. let the company make money for a change.

hammerhead said:

same old drumbeat...... you guys and gals need to wake up, evolve, adapt, or leave. let the company make money for a change.
Nobody said that. I didn't read anything EVEN remotely suggesting that. It is, however, time for management to STOP beating up the only real resource that's kept this company going THIS long, It's employees. If there are groups which are compensated outside of industry norms, that's one thing. But to subsidize an idiotic business plan by raping the employees further, that's plainly another. If fragmantation is the way this ship is heading, so be it. I don't see how it could be much worse for the employees, being as Dave already said that even with additional massive pay cuts that ALL labor groups were likely looking at another round of massive furloughs. Dave needs to get on with making more revenue and adjust to the normal cost of doing business. I'll bet they are really upset that ALPA didn't just roll over and put more money into their pockets last week as they expected. Those of you that are worried about the employment situation here, I suggest you start putting out resumes ASAP. Me, I think concern is a better word, but it certainly WON'T be worth working here if what Dave intimated in his webcast is to be the future at this company.

hammerhead said:

hammerhead you should have said "let the company continue to steal money" :down: