Does US Actually Have a Boarding Policy?

SolidCactus

Senior
Contributor
Feb 21, 2008
AVP/PBI
www.solidcactus.com
I just have to ask this question because even though I still fly on US virtually every week, I still don't know the answer to this question.

I'm a chairmans. I was flying today, and I thought to myself, "why is this boarding process on US so inconsistent? Is there actually a policy? OR do gate agents just make up their own policies?

Sometimes, the gate agents will say, "now boarding passengers needing special assistance, and families with children under the age of 2"... SOME will say "and our first class passengers, chairmans, platinum, gold, silver and our gold and silver star alliance members may also board at any time" But this is ONLY sometimes.

There are days where I am at the gate where the gate agent says, "now boarding all zones" - without doing preferred boarding, although this is usually on express.

What makes me ask is, today, this gate agent said the usual, "now boarding passengers needing special assistance, and families with children under the age of 2". Of course, three families boarded, all with kids 10 years or older. Then she skips right over preferred and boards zone one and two.

I have gold on continental, I get to stand on a blue carpet. I have gold on delta, I get to stand on a red carpet, at US, I get to watch families with teenage children preboard while the gate agent says nothing, and then everyone boards...

I hate being a whiner, but I spend a lot of money here at US - I dont expect a gold medal, but a little bit of consistency would be very appreciated...

Completely agree with SolidCactus here!

It's very annoying to board Zones 1, 2, 3 together.

Here is how I think boarding should be done.

F or Envoy Class (which should be Zone 1) only along with preboards. Allow ample time for preboards to take their seats and maybe in the meanwhile a basic bev service can be done in F by the FA's since no one is going down the jetway.

Now Zone 1 (which should be Zone 2) for Star Alliance Gold, Chairman's , Platinum and Golds. Do not board along w/ Silvers and other elites since theres already so many folks part of Zone 1.

Next should be Zone 2 (which really should be Zone 3) for Star Alliance Silver, and DM Silver members along w/ US Visa / US Mastercard

Followed by the remaining Zones...

Carpets sound like a neat idea, but only at the surface. I don't think they are a necessity. I've boarded a UA flight w/ the red carpets and I don't feel it made the process any more organized than it already was. If it's going for the prestige factor, I don't think it succeeds there either. Nothing prestigious about a dirty red carpet. Not to mention carpets hold more bacteria than hardwood floors :D If US where to invest in blue carpets, I'd rather see the $ go to different improvement projects.

-Kinglobjaw

Just another example of how retarded the boarding process is, and how inefficient management is in this company. If there's a change to the policy, make damn sure everyone knows it first, otherwise we look like a cluster funk out there.

I NEVER argued when someone wanted to board. Especially frequent fliers. They pay good money, so they deserve to be accommodated ASAP. And sometimes people are private about their disability. When they wanted to board I didn't play 20 questions with them. Some people are very shy to come and ask. Just SMILE and THANK them, it eases their anxiety.

This guy I worked with was a total retard when it came to the boarding process. When someone boarded out of turn, he would stop everything, come make some smart mouthed comment, and make a rude announcement with a tone. I wanted to slap him every time he did that.

People just make the boarding process 10x harder than it has to be.

JUST SMILE AND RIP THE TICKET IDIOT! NOT rocket science.

I just boarded this way:

Frequent fliers, and anybody who needs extra time or assistance, traveling with children under the age of 5.

Take a pause, let them settle in, get the strollers out of the jetway

General boarding.

Some people just LOVE to hear their own voices on the mic, they don't realize that there are 4 other gates ready to announce the next zone, but cannot because it is so loud and honey-cuts wants to practice his singing voice.

I hate it when agents board Zones 1-3 right off the bat. No, you board 1, then 2, then 3, etc. Not all of them at the same time. Also, I thought we didnt do the "preboard" announcement any more. I havent worked the gate in a while so not up to date on all the new "enhancements" in the boarding process, but I thought the customers who "asked" for assistance were to be told to come to the door for preboarding at X time and that they were to be boarded prior to boarding Zone 1, etc ? Then everyone else got to board with their Zone.

I am fairly certain that there is a written company policy on how to run the boarding process. Agents like to think they have a "better" way, and that adds to the confusion.

Consistency in service is a key factor in customer loyalty. McDonalds is the premier example of consistency and how it makes a service organization successful. No matter where on the planet you order a Big Mac, it tastes exactly the same as every Big Mac you've ever eaten. The food at McDonalds is not even really that great, but when you walk into a McDonalds you know what to expect and they CONSISTENTLY deliver that product and service. That's a big reason people consistently walk into their restaurants.

Unfortunately, USAirways has never been able to deliver consistency in anything.

As far as the boarding process is concerned, I blame the supervisors. Agents not following the policy should be counseled, and if they continue to not comply, there should be discipline. Until USAirways has the guts to do this, they will never be consistent.

We do have a policy....Get them the heck out of our hair and let the f/a's deal with them. :huh:

When I board I always call pax needing asst and families with children under 2(stressing the under 2) and zone .

But as usual this computer system messes everything up.....zones are determined by the row you are in and the seat ex.windows first then middle and last aisle....this would work well if everybody was travelling alone so now I have Mr in zone 3 and Mrs in zone 4 or Mom in zone 4 and child in zone 6 It always turns into a cluster

Also sometimes we board 1,2 and 3 together because we are under times constraints and the hammer is above our heads to get it out on time.

It doesnt matter if the a/c arrived late or cleaners were late or catering was insufficient we still are held accountable

We do the best we can with the tools we are given

I've never had that problem in Los Angeles. I think, at least at LAX, if you tried that boarding-all-zones number it might constitute a safety risk.

I've certainly experienced it at other airports, however, and it's deeply frustrating when they don't pre-board. I see the problem a lot more in the East than in the West, probably because the East employees know how stupid the America West boarding system is and don't follow it at all.

The America West system works well in theory, but it's so different from other systems that it confuses the average joe.

The big problem with the system are the families and parties greater than 1. You've got people seated next to each other who have different zone numbers. We all know that you board all together with the lowest zone number of your party, right? WRONG. No one knows this. It's absolutely essential that the gate agents make some sort of announcement explaining the process every time they board an aircraft.

In Phoenix, I heard one lady who said the following:

"At US Airways, we board by zones. Everyone please take a look at your boarding pass and confirm your Zone Numbers. Don't be afraid if your neighbor isn't in the same zone. Your party may board with the LOWEST Zone number in your party." She sat there and made everyone look at their pass, explained to them exactly how they are going to board, and calmed any feelings of panic they might have had. That was perfect. Everyone "got it."

The problem is that, explaining this mess of a boarding process every time wastes time. In the time it takes for them to do it, they could have boarded the plane by rows. There is NO time saved because this method's alleged efficiency is contingent upon everyone knowing how it works up front. US Airways does a piss-poor job of informing people of how their bizarre boarding procedures work and, as a result, you have what we have now: chaos at every gate.

US Airways has done everything they can to eliminate frequent flyers. They're now dealing with a less-experienced, less-sophisticated, and generally less-intelligent crowd. This is what they've been salivating over...plane after plane filled with KETTLES. It's here.

At this point, I think it's time for US to abandon the zones and board the planes by the rows...back to front, with Preferred, First Class, and Active Duty Military having pre-board privilege. It works for everyone else.

Ok here is the scoop on boarding. US Airways more like America West conducted and study done by ASU as to how fast an aircraft can be boarded, hence the crazy zone alignment. ASU concluded that by boarding windows, middle, and aisles from the back forward in that order would speed but boarding by so many minutes. This would be great if people actually did it correctly.

US policy is to board preboards first, assist passengers and families with small kids, then F and Zone 1, and so on. The only people that are in Zone 1 are passengers booked in F and Chairman, Platinum and Gold. Silver and BOA Cardholders are to board when Zone 2 is called. Then Zone 3, 4, 5, next next next.

Hope this answers your question.

SolidCactus, you forgot one of the PHL Terminal F specialties:

"Now boarding families with small children, passengers needing assistance, Chairmen, Platinum, Gold & Silver Preferred, and all rows." (All said in one breath.)

I know the agents are under a lot of pressure to get flights boarded on time, but they do the airline a disservice by rushing the process and panicking. I have experienced agents asking if they could board early for a full E190. Geez, there are only 99 passengers. If an agent can't board 99 people in 30 minutes, perhaps it's time for a career change. For years we boarded our a/c of different sizes right on time. All of a sudden everyone needs more time. :unsure:

In Phoenix, I heard one lady who said the following:

"At US Airways, we board by zones. Everyone please take a look at your boarding pass and confirm your Zone Numbers. Don't be afraid if your neighbor isn't in the same zone. Your party may board with the LOWEST Zone number in your party." She sat there and made everyone look at their pass, explained to them exactly how they are going to board, and calmed any feelings of panic they might have had. That was perfect. Everyone "got it."

Wow! A proactive agent with the ability to see through the crap and get it done right!

SWA would promote her in a second.

USAirways will probably fire her.

Ok here is the scoop on boarding. US Airways more like America West conducted and study done by ASU as to how fast an aircraft can be boarded, hence the crazy zone alignment. ASU concluded that by boarding windows, middle, and aisles from the back forward in that order would speed but boarding by so many minutes. This would be great if people actually did it correctly.
My emphasis.

This is exactly why Tempe cannot possibly arrange a one car funeral.

1. In hopes of "saving money", they allow a group of students conduct a "study", likely with dubious criteria and assumptions (likely not communicated to Tempe), to ideally (reality has nothing to do with this) transfer a group of people from a boarding lounge to a metal tube via one entry door.

2. Constructing a procedure suitable for the lowest common denominator agent to follow, with no graceful manner of failure is starting to become an epitaph for US, simply reinforcing the same array of flawed procedures used to enact the "Sabre -> QIK" changeover.

3. The inevitable failures occur in the hardest manner possible, with no mitigation allowed. No reversion to Sabre during the changeover and no way to quickly "fix" mistakes while boarding. The resulting waits, with people/bags in the aisle obstructing the rest of the process until understaffed agents can communicate, both with the minimum staffed crew and the "computer" in order to "fix" that particular process. (Communicating with the computer presents it's own special sort of not helpful circumstances).

Like fitting square pegs in round holes, Tempe could not have produced a more expensive manner of conducting operations.

IMO, I would, during a "slow" period, revert to basics and re-engineer procedures to account for how people actually operate rather than to try to fit them into preconceived modes of behavior. At this point I have no idea what such a "slow period" would consist of since Tempe seems to have placed the employees into perpetual crisis with their juvenile "ideas" and inexperienced "executions".

We've noticed the same inconsistency on our flights both domestic and international.

Admittedly, some folks get real antsy prior to boarding and push the queue. My wife and I go out of our way not to be impatient. We try to place ourselves in proximity without becoming queu pushers who add to the problem. We're just trying to exercise the privilige that we've earned paying our money and flying BIS to become golds or plats. But it is really annoying when GAs get cutesy with "first class only" as sometimes they jump to zone 1 and 2 and the bodies rush and crush the queue. Zone 1 boarding is zone 1 boarding whether you're sitting up front or in the back. Mind you, I see this as irksome and not a crime against humanity. But it's also unnecessary because procedure should be procedure at every station.

We've seen zone boarding completely ignored at LGW. We almost did not find overhead space during a crowded flight on that horrid ETOPs 757. Things like this make you wonder why you fly US as we make our committment to fly with you for specific goals. Once again, irksome when ignored. I just hope that irksome does not become policy and procedure. Your elites have been jumping through hoops for a long time. Don't deny us our morsels. :rolleyes:

Barry

Just another example of how retarded the boarding process is, and how inefficient management is in this company. If there's a change to the policy, make damn sure everyone knows it first, otherwise we look like a cluster funk out there.

Some people just LOVE to hear their own voices on the mic, they don't realize that there are 4 other gates ready to announce the next zone, but cannot because it is so loud and honey-cuts wants to practice his singing voice.

My voice is like music from heaven and I think it takes longer to argue with someone over zones than it does to just put you on the damn plane? No speaky? Damnit. Fine. As long as there isnt ten of you. I always remember the first class and preferreds so they feel special.
And I also blow kisses and shake my booty.

In my dreams. Because, you know, I only work at Wendy's.