Doj Begins Investigation Of Ua

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
U.S. Begins Investigation of United Airlines

Investigation, disclosed late yesterday, cast a cloud over United's application for the federal aid

NEW YORK (Times) - United Airlines went back to a federal loan board for a second time yesterday, seeking approval for $1.6 billion in loan guarantees, the Justice Department opened an antitrust investigation into United's role in encouraging a hostile takeover bid for a regional carrier it uses on the East Coast.

See Story

Regards,

Chip

The New York Times said executives at competing airlines, who asked not to be identified, said United's case to the A.T.S.B. may be made more difficult by the deteriorating fortunes at US Airways. It obtained $900 million in loan guarantees when it emerged from bankruptcy protection earlier this year, but has encountered rocky financial times since then. Management recently told unions it must revise the business plan on which it based its emergence, citing competition from low-fare carriers.

Executives at several carriers predicted United would face opposition to its application.

Mr. Mann agreed debate would be lively. "I don't see this as a slam dunk at all. I see it as just the opposite," he said. Because United is asking for almost twice as much as US Airways, the loan board could say, " 'We have to take a very circumspect view with regard to this big nut in front of us,' " Mr. Mann said.

Regards,

Chip

United Takes a Second Stab at Loan Guarantees - Airline Hopes to Leave Bankruptcy

United still faces multiple challenges that could make securing loan guarantees difficult

WASHINGTON (Post) - UAL Corp., parent of United Airlines, yesterday filed its second application for federal loan guarantees to help it emerge from bankruptcy protection.

See Story

Regards,

Chip

Thank you for posting current news.

Can the moderator now move this to the United Section.

""Sure can't defend posts like this.......this is a UA specific.

Moderators do your stuff !!!! ""

AOG-N-IT,

now we agree.

Thank you.

BTW, I wonder why the following article wasn't posted instead.

I was tempted to post it in the United section with a subtitle" what could usair's ch22 mean for United". :D

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-re...s/s_170804.html

US Airways may face 2nd bankruptcy

Today the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review said, "The advantage of going back into bankruptcy would be they could reopen more labor agreements and reject jet leases," said Robert Mann Jr., head of R.W. Mann & Co., an airline consultancy based on Long Island. Such costs amount to 45 percent of the airline's annual overhead.

Chip comments: Here we go again. Could we see a S.1113 hearing to outsource heavy maintenance and change work rules? Furthermore, how would the ATSB react to this development? Or can we reach mutually acceptable agreements on the A320 outsourcing and productivity changes to add 60 A320 family aircraft, with 30 added in 2004 and 30 in 2005?

Regards,

Chip

Moderators:

These articles have application to US Airways because of the United alliance, comments about US Airways in the NY Times, and the potential for a corporate transaction between the business partners.

Thus, I ask that you keep the thread open.

Regards,

Chip

Chip said ""and the potential for a corporate transaction between the business partners""

Now thats funny. Since I didn't see this anywhere in any of the articles.

But go ahead Chip, contaminate this thread with Usair material so it will stay here.

Never mind I think I already did when I posted the link to the Usair article. :eek:

Oh and one more thing, chip are you going to negotiate for your fellow empolyees again? As I recall the last time you did, it didn't work out so good.

No chip I don't think so. Anyhow it seems everyone is actually willing to kick your arse even if you sayed nothing actually stupid![size][color]

Chip,

If you think for one minute that the IAM membership is going to willingly give up anything to feed a "Glory Hound " like you .....you my friend are sadly mistaken

I predicted the moment you posted a simple "60" in another thread , that this "60" would be tied to agreements that the IAM simply will not stomach....yet thier is reason to believe ( heaven help me) that less invaisive measures than "Outsourcing OUR work can be obtainable.

You my friend need to stop pissing off your co-workers and our partners at UA....someday the wrong loose cannon out there is going to see your ID and land you a cloud burst you aren't going to be prepared for.

:D :D :D :up:

LMAO.

This is the Chip coup de ta. U has been faking poor financial performance all this time to torpedo UAL's ATSB application, resulting in U getting UAL's "stuff' at a fire sale. Chip will be back soon, he's out buying a few more copies of 'catcher in the rye'.....

Chip,

You can't seriously believe that U has any intention of buying new airbii at the rate of 30 a year do you?

Dave is either trying to get he and Bronner rich at our expense, or he is a complete idiot. I am not going to try and guess.

Second, What moron would actually sell this crowd any aircraft? I wouldn't, not with a second ch 11 looming.

Third, Dave has destroyed this airlines moral (with help from Wolf) to the point that nobody cares. I rode on a paying ticket the otherday (easier than non reving!!) I was on business for my current company and the treatment I saw and received were miserable. Hell, I used to fly a 737 for USAirways and I can tell you that without a doubt I will never buy another ticket on U!!!

Now tell me? How in the world do you expect this turd to survive? I don't .

Fire Away.....but check your six, cause Daves coming for you!

Sorry for the delay again. As a reminder the moderators dont live on this board 24/7 so sometimes it takes a while for us to see things. Moving to the UA Board.