Domestic Partner Benefits

Chaos

Apr 20, 2008
US Airways currently discriminates against the opposite sex Domestic Partners of its employees. As can be seen by comparing the existing company policies regarding medical benefits, America West offers medical coverage to opposite sex domestic partners and US Airways does not.

Assuming US Airways does not intend to take away these benefits from former America West employees, it would stand to reason that the US Airways policy should be changed to offer health care benefits equally to all qualified domestic partners.

Anyone have any idea on how or who to approach at US Airways Benefits regarding this issue?

US AIRWAYS

US Airways affords eligible same sex domestic partners of employees and their eligible children an opportunity to participate in US Airways' benefits and travel programs including, the Health Benefit Plan (medical and/or dental coverage), Dependent Life Insurance plan, Employee Assistance Services, on-line travel privileges, Shipment of Human Remains and Bereavement Leave. In addition, the program provides the continuation of certain health benefits.

US Airways affords eligible opposite sex domestic partners of employees and their eligible children an opportunity to participate in US Airways' on-line travel privileges and Bereavement Leave.

AMERICA WEST

America West Holdings Corporation is extending certain of its benefits programs to the same and opposite gender Domestic Partners of its employees. Domestic Partners will be eligible to participate in the Company’s medical HMO model (in-network only Coverage), dental and voluntary vision programs, where permitted by the respective carriers in the employee’s geographical area in accordance with underlying carrier provisions and applicable state laws.

Domestic Partners and their children will be extended pass travel privileges in accordance with the Company’s non-revenue travel programs as amended from time to time.

US offered opposite sex Domestic Partners medical benefits in the past. The main requirement was living in the same household for at least one year to be eligible.

I recall looking into it for my girlfriend, but she had good coverage elsewhere. Breaking up on a regular basis also threw a wrench in the one year household requirement, too.

Chaos,

Maybe you are not comprehending the benefits package? Read it again.

View attachment 7472

The US Airways policy clearly omits medical benefits for opposite sex domestic partners. They do offer travel privileges.

America West offers both to opposite sex domestic partners.

Guess I'll give the US Airways benefits administration office a call for further clarification.

Um, as I understood it US Airways is the ONLY airline that offers Domestic Partnership to not only same-sex but opposite sex as well. They are also one of the only to have a registered companion program if you don't have a spouse or partner for travel benefits... can't complain about travel bennies on US.

The US Airways policy clearly omits medical benefits for opposite sex domestic partners. They do offer travel privileges.

America West offers both to opposite sex domestic partners.

Guess I'll give the US Airways benefits administration office a call for further clarification.

UMM...You Can LEGALLY Marry...Ever Thought Of That? :rolleyes:

Why ruin a good relationship? :lol:

Can't argue with that! I don't think the issue has anything to do with the relative merits of matrimony, been there done that, TWICE! I just think the policy should be the same for both groups of employees for both same and opposite sex domestic partners.

can't complain about travel bennies on US.

Absolutely EMBFA! I agree!!!

Can someone on here give me an guesstimate on how much a PBI/PHL/FCO/PHL/PBI Trip would run up for a Registered Guest (whatever it would cost for the employee). The way I'm looking at it is

10% of Y6 Fare; Inputable Income Taxed at approx. 35% of the 10% Y6 Fare=Employee Deduction

So for example if
PBI-PHL $1000 ($100) 35% =$35
PHL-FCO $7000 ($700) 35% =$245
FCO-PHL $7000 ($700) 35% =$245
PHL-PBI $1000 ($100) 35% =$35

$560 Employee PayRoll Deduction...so traveling as a Registered Guest isn't cheaper than a Buddy Pass that would cost $269 for PBI-FCO unless I'm looking at this wrong?

Prior to getting married, my then boyfriend was my domestic partner. He is a contractor and does not have medical benefit as a contractor. We basically got married so he could go on my benefits, as opposite sex domestic partners were not elegible. The reason was because legally we were able to marry. For some people, if they get married they lose alimony, child support, etc. I don't see why you should be forced to get married to get the same benefits as same sex domestic partners. I got married 2 years ago, so unless it has changed since then, medical benefits are only for same sex partners!

Prior to getting married, my then boyfriend was my domestic partner. He is a contractor and does not have medical benefit as a contractor. We basically got married so he could go on my benefits, as opposite sex domestic partners were not elegible. The reason was because legally we were able to marry. For some people, if they get married they lose alimony, child support, etc. I don't see why you should be forced to get married to get the same benefits as same sex domestic partners. I got married 2 years ago, so unless it has changed since then, medical benefits are only for same sex partners!
So basically, if you're not in a homosexual relationship and not married you're out of luck? Wow that sucks. How strange.

Glad i'm married and dont have to worry about that.

Unless you are a former America West employee, in which case, according to the information currently posted on the HUB, opposite sex domestic partners are afforded medical benefits! Look, this is not about sexual preferences, it's about whether all employees are offered the same benefits regardless of their prior employment status, specifically East or West. We should all be getting the same deal!

Unless you are a former America West employee, in which case, according to the information currently posted on the HUB, opposite sex domestic partners are afforded medical benefits! Look, this is not about sexual preferences, it's about whether all employees are offered the same benefits regardless of their prior employment status, specifically East or West. We should all be getting the same deal!

Under health plan, it specifically states same sex domestic partner. Trust me, I tried everything to get my opposite sex domestic partner health care benefits. Thank God I'm married now, no more drama with the benefits dept.

Section B - 8
DOMESTIC PARTNER BENEFITS

Health Plan Coverage
• An employee who chooses the Company’s health plan as his or her health plan may
enroll his or her same sex domestic partner (or same sex domestic partner’s eligible
children) during the open enrollment period.
• Premium contributions will be required in accordance with the Company’s monthly
contribution schedule.
• The Company will extend to employees’ same sex domestic partners and the domestic
partners’ eligible children who make their primary residence with the employee, the
continuation of certain health benefits under the Company’s Health Benefit Plan
because of specific "qualifying events" If your same sex domestic partner loses
coverage because of a "qualifying event" (as defined below) your same sex domestic
partner
and eligible children will be entitled to coverage for eighteen (18) months after
the "qualifying event".

So basically, if you're not in a homosexual relationship and not married you're out of luck? Wow that sucks. How strange.

Glad i'm married and dont have to worry about that.

Don't you think you're kind of minimizing it by saying that? It's not just for being "in a homosexual relationship", it's marriage benefits to employees who's state doesn't recognize their marriage. It's not for casual or dating relationships lol...

I'm not sure how I feel about that one. America needs to make up it's mind. Limit certain benefits to married couples only, but recognize ALL American's marriages. Or, if they want to discriminate and not "recognize" some marriages (a concept I've never understood), then you have to offer everyone, regardless of the sex of their partners, the equivalent benefits outside of marriage. If you are going to limit marriage to a select group, fine, but you can't limit the benefits to that same select group on the grounds of your own personal taste in people.

This one's a far bigger issue than US Airways, but it it's interesting to see the two interpretations. I didn't realize there was a difference with the medical benefits. I hate to see anyone's partner denied benefits, all Americans should have the exact same rights regardless of the genetalia of the person they share their life with. Bizarre.

Don't you think you're kind of minimizing it by saying that? It's not just for being "in a homosexual relationship", it's marriage benefits to employees who's state doesn't recognize their marriage. It's not for casual or dating relationships lol...
Of course, not for casual or dating relationships, but domestic partner kind of means that you're "shacking up" right? Or can best friends count? I don't know, I'm probably being ignorant because I just signed my people up and it was one of the VERY few things that went the way it was supposed to so I never looked into what the other options actually were.