Doug Parker's Reply to my Email.

A330US

Senior
Aug 10, 2005
I sent doug a email consdiring all the news of US INT ops having so many problems, im only 18, and he NEVER replied to any of my emails until now.
here it is.

Hello. Each of you on this e-mail distribution list recently sent me an
e-mail in regard to a story that appeared in a blog on USAToday.com. My
response is below. I apologize for the mass e-mail versus more
personalized ones, but given there were 20 such notes, this was much
more efficient for me. Thanks for your understanding and thanks for
taking the time to let me know about your concerns.

dp

Dear US Airways Employee,

Several of you have sent me copies of a column that ran earlier this
week in Joe Brancatelli's blog at USAToday.com. Mr. Brancatelli focuses
on this past summer's international operation from Philadelphia and our
poor on-time performance. The on-time statistics cited by Mr.
Brancatelli's statistics are accurate, publicly available information
and indeed are no surprise to US Airways' employees -- we know we've had
a very difficult summer for PHL international operations and we've
spoken candidly about the causes and the planned fixes for next year.
He makes a number of incorrect conclusions from the data and I'll
address those below, but the biggest misrepresentation he makes is that
management does not care about the situation. That is both offensive and
false so I wanted to take some time to let you know the facts.

First, let me be crystal clear -- we have not run a good international
operation this summer and we are not pleased about it. When it comes to
on-time arrival statistics, though, Mr Brancatelli fails to mention
the biggest contributor of all, which is the well-publicized severe ATC
delays that affected all of the Northeast this summer. When the
domestic operation is delayed, as it was at record levels this summer,
airlines rightfully delay their international flights even more, as we
wait for connecting travelers to arrive in the hub. Not doing so would
inconvenience these passengers tremendously as the next international
flight doesn't leave for another day (and likely has no seats available
as we were all extremely full this summer). These ATC delays and
subsequent holding of international trips led to poor on-time
performance for all
international operations in the Northeast. For example, publicly
available information that was not mentioned in the blog includes this
sampling of on-time results for our Northeast international competitors
for June through August:
- Delta from JFK to: Moscow, 21% on-time; Budapest, 41%;
Manchester, 43%; Rome, 50%.
- Continental from EWR to: Manchester, 42%; Dublin 47%

To be clear, our international on-time performance was even worse than
our
competitors for some of the reasons I discuss below, but to publish our
numbers in isolation without providing the context of others in similar
ATC environments is misleading at best. It is also important to note
that
while our on-time performance suffered, our people did an excellent job
of
ensuring that these important flights did operate -- our international
completion factor for this period was 99%, despite the difficult ATC
environment.

Having said all of this, the fact remains that there were issues
other than ATC problems that had a negative effect on our international
operation this summer. It's important that we all understand what led to
these issues and what we're doing to avoid a repeat in the Summer of
'08:

1) Scheduling: We had an aggressive growth schedule in Philadelphia
this summer because we committed to growing the international
operation, and we needed to live up to a commitment to the City of
Philadelphia to do so. Last summer, and again this year, the City has
threatened to take three widebody international gates that we currently
use and convert them into domestic gates for Delta.

To demonstrate our commitment to the international operation, we
scheduled more flying than we normally would have on the available
gates, building a schedule that required us to do what's called
"nesting" of 19 international flights on 16 gates. Nesting
allows us to operate two international departures from a
single gate by towing the first plane to arrive on the gate to a remote
pad after it is deplaned, having a second plane arrive and depart on
that gate, and then bringing the first plane back to the gate to get
loaded for its departure. This is a common practice at many airports
and it works on good days. But when things get behind, which they did
all summer because of ATC and weather, it doesn't work so well, as we
all experienced.

The good news is that this initiative has had some positive impact
within the City. While it is still unclear as to whether or not we will
lose some gates on the international concourse, what is clear is that
the City enjoys the service and would not like to lose it. We have
told them that we will not subject our customers and employees to such a
nested operation next year, though, so if they choose to move a domestic
airline onto the international concourse we will have no choice but to
eliminate some of our international flying. We are still working with
them on a potential resolution to this dilemma, but the very strong
consumer response to our new flights has certainly helped our cause.

2) Maintenance: We did have higher aircraft out-of-service time for
our international fleet this year than we've experienced in the past as
well. The aircraft now need more routine maintenance than they did in
past
summers and we simply hadn't adjusted the schedule to provide enough
time,
so we ended up with more delays. We will remedy this next summer by
either not
flying as many international routes (if PHL takes some international
gates)
or using different equipment to fly some routes like PHL-SJU and CLT-CUN
which were flown this summer with international aircraft.

We also continue to have problems storing sufficient parts in PHL. Mr.
Brancatelli's column incorrectly suggests that we store international
parts in Phoenix that should be stored in PHL. That is not true --
there are no widebody-only parts stored in Phoenix. We do, however, have
inadequate parts storage facilities in PHL, which leads us to place more
parts than we'd like in Charlotte. We're working with the Philadelphia
Airport to obtain more space and that, in addition to getting the entire
maintenance inventory onto one computer system, will improve our delays
attributable to maintenance dramatically.

3) Interiors/Onboard Offering: The financial distress of the former US
Airways left the interiors of the international fleet, particularly the
767s, in worse condition than any of us would like. In May, we approved
a $20 million program to upgrade our widebody interiors. Unfortunately,
it takes more than a year to receive and install the parts and new
seats, which means that we won't see these interior improvements until
next year.

As we upgrade the airplanes, we're also bringing consistency and
upgrades to the onboard product. Our new program rolls out in January
and includes new and upgraded Envoy Class meals, wines and amenities.
Later next year, we'll begin installing new near-lie-flat seats and
handheld InFlight Entertainment units in Envoy, along with new InFlight
Entertainment computer servers and flat monitors in Economy on the B767
fleet. Also next year, we'll be moving to common galley configuration
for increased stowage and oven space on the transatlantic B757 ETOPs
aircraft.

So those are the primary problems and what we're doing to address them.
Rest assured that we care very much about these issues and will ensure
that
they are addressed. Our international routes have been extremely
successful
this summer despite our operational challenges and we have exciting
plans
for future expansion. We know full well, though, that we can not expect
to
remain profitable in the international markets if we operate as we did
this
summer, nor can we expect profitable expansion.

I am confident that we'll get there because I know how badly each of
wants
to see it happen. Thanks for all you're doing to take care of our
customers.

Doug

If you are 18, you are not likely a US employee. We saw the email posted elsewhere, and it was a general response to employees.

How can you claim it was a response to YOUR email?

Curious minds want to know.

Not picking on you just asking.

For example, publicly available information that was not mentioned in the blog includes this sampling of on-time results for our Northeast international competitors for June through August:
- Delta from JFK to: Moscow, 21% on-time; Budapest, 41%;
Manchester, 43%; Rome, 50%.
- Continental from EWR to: Manchester, 42%; Dublin 47%

OK, so a handful of flights at the competition did almost as poorly as most of US Airways' flights did from PHL. Is it actually a "sampling" or a careful selection of the worst performances from Delta and Continental?

1) Scheduling: We had an aggressive growth schedule in Philadelphia this summer because we committed to growing the international operation, and we needed to live up to a commitment to the City of Philadelphia to do so. Last summer, and again this year, the City has threatened to take three widebody international gates that we currently use and convert them into domestic gates for Delta.

To demonstrate our commitment to the international operation, we scheduled more flying than we normally would have on the available gates, building a schedule that required us to do what's called
"nesting" of 19 international flights on 16 gates. Nesting allows us to operate two international departures from a single gate by towing the first plane to arrive on the gate to a remote pad after it is deplaned, having a second plane arrive and depart on that gate, and then bringing the first plane back to the gate to get loaded for its departure. This is a common practice at many airports and it works on good days. But when things get behind, which they did all summer because of ATC and weather, it doesn't work so well, as we all experienced.

The good news is that this initiative has had some positive impact within the City. While it is still unclear as to whether or not we will lose some gates on the international concourse, what is clear is that
the City enjoys the service and would not like to lose it. We have told them that we will not subject our customers and employees to such a nested operation next year, though, so if they choose to move a domestic airline onto the international concourse we will have no choice but to eliminate some of our international flying. We are still working with them on a potential resolution to this dilemma, but the very strong consumer response to our new flights has certainly helped our cause.

You know, it's funny that somehow Continental manages to offer 49 daily intercontinental departures from EWR while only having 19 international gates in Terminal C, not all of which can be used simultaneously for widebodies. While they certainly do use Terminal B for some international arrivals, they do not seem to have an issue with subsequently towing the planes over to C for departures.
Even more amazing is the fact that CO seems to think it can continue to expand its international offerings from EWR without crying to the Port Authority about how it is just too difficult to use international gates for more than one daily turn.

Similarly, Delta seems to be able to run roughly 25 daily long-haul departures from its JFK terminal, in spite of there only being 17 international gates -- and they are taking on ETOPS 757's in order to offer even more flights next year.

I'm not sure if this summer's transatlantic meltdown has even left the city with a positive impression of what US Airways is offering internationally. In any event, if I were running the city's Aviation Department, I'd offer to let US keep the international gates -- but only if US makes room in Terminal B/C for their codeshare partner United. Delta or Southwest would then take United's former gates in Terminal D.

2) Maintenance: We did have higher aircraft out-of-service time for our international fleet this year than we've experienced in the past as well. The aircraft now need more routine maintenance than they did in past summers and we simply hadn't adjusted the schedule to provide enough time, so we ended up with more delays. We will remedy this next summer by either not flying as many international routes (if PHL takes some international gates) or using different equipment to fly some routes like PHL-SJU and CLT-CUN which were flown this summer with international aircraft.

Translation: We failed to plan a realistic schedule and our customers and employees paid the price. And we're going to do it again next year (since the non-transatlantic flying performed by widebodies is almost negligible).

3) Interiors/Onboard Offering: The financial distress of the former US Airways left the interiors of the international fleet, particularly the 767s, in worse condition than any of us would like. In May, we approved a $20 million program to upgrade our widebody interiors. Unfortunately, it takes more than a year to receive and install the parts and new seats, which means that we won't see these interior improvements until next year.

The sorry state of the 767 and A330 interiors is NOTHING NEW! In May, it had been 20 months since the merger closed, and yet they had taken no decision to refurbish the aircraft? Why wasn't this decision made in October, 2005? Somehow, however, they were able to find the time and the suppliers to jam more seats into the widebodies, and somehow they managed to receive parts and seats to be added to the East side Airbuses as well.

As we upgrade the airplanes, we're also bringing consistency and upgrades to the onboard product. Our new program rolls out in January and includes new and upgraded Envoy Class meals, wines and amenities. Later next year, we'll begin installing new near-lie-flat seats and handheld InFlight Entertainment units in Envoy, along with new InFlight Entertainment computer servers and flat monitors in Economy on the B767 fleet. Also next year, we'll be moving to common galley configuration for increased stowage and oven space on the transatlantic B757 ETOPs aircraft.

And they'll still be behind Delta and Continental in what they're offering.

If you are 18, you are not likely a US employee. We saw the email posted elsewhere, and it was a general response to employees.

Sorry about the confusion, it was a mass email, sent to alot of people. it was the reply he gave me, so i thought it was toward mine, but he NEVER replies to me, so this is a first lol

Art...I was a fresh 18 year old kid working for HP at DCA back in 2006...Let's not doubt people but I don't blame you w/ all these Westie trolls ;)

Parker's response is nothing more than Corporate Spin in response to a NASTY expose' of the Airline HE is running. There's a saying, "You can Fool Some of the people sometimes, but YOU can't fool All of The People ALL of THE Time". I for one, believe NOTHING they have to SAY. PROVE IT! DO IT!

Let just say DP did his usual spin, we failed but...we tried but...
How about replacing a seat cover that is torn, does that take one year? Clean vac the carpets, wash the old blankets and replace the pillow covers. That takes less than one hour not one year and no matter how ratty the rest looks it's perception would be a "clean" old plane !

Low on-time departures due to late misconnecting passengers? What a joke, we all know in Phl that our management will leave off 50 or 60 international connection passengers!

Weather, well that says it all! Can't blame it on ice on the ramp now can we?

How about the understaffing at A West or employees that have had mando for up to 16 hours a day due to understaffing issues that is clearly agains any union contract! How about mentioning that managers go home and leave the employees alone to catch all the sh$t?

Do you see and HUMAN recognition? Passengers and employees stranded night after night with no direction from the sandcastle? Do you see any spare parts or aircraft flown in to have onhand in case of mechanicals? I would say this reporter got the best of our company and we all welcome him with open arms to do a story on the behind the scene horror stories that we live out daily. It is SURREAL !

I would like to apologize on behalf of Mr. Parker to all of our wonderful passengers and employees here in Phl who finally get these departures out and off the gate. An apology is in order and if our CEO will not forward one I will on behalf of this skanky company. I am truly embarrassed it has come down to this but the public deserves an apology. Our employee groups know how hard they work and just the NO votes from our rampers makes all of us at Usairways very proud!

PR

Just another example of the inadequate management we have running this airline. Don't make excuses just fix it. By the time they get it fixed it'll be too late as our passengers will find another way to get there. The response they gave the passenger that purchased 12 Envoy tickets shows they don't get it. We're losing employees and now we'll be losing customers. The way they treat both pretty soon all we'll have is a few executives left to run the empty planes around.

Oh no, please, no more pilot threads! Richard promised to merge them!
I think that FFocus should most definately contact this reporter to do another story. Does anyone know where he is based or his email address?

FFOCUS is working on it extensively...Now I went to DCA today to book my non-revenue pass...They gave me an extremely hard time and told me to come back later (NO ONE WAS WAITING IN LINE...kinda ODD for DCA though).

Notice, not one thing said about Shares and its inadequacies. Yesterday, neighbor cancelled a segment and her ticket took 55mins for agent to re-work.

So now it's CCY's fault that the planes aren't clean? Give me a freakin' break. Obviously they had time to monkey around with the interiors because they did everything to them BUT clean them and maintain the IFE equipment.....They should have spent their time cleaning the planes instead of ripping seats out of Envoy.

And it sure didn't take them 2 years to rip seats and closets out of F on the narrow bodies, smoosh the seats together, and play "musical IFE equipment."

Too bad Brancatelli didn't write his article about the art of airline spinmeistering. US would have topped the list.

dp
Dear US Airways Employee,

When the
domestic operation is delayed, as it was at record levels this summer,
airlines rightfully delay their international flights even more, as we
wait for connecting travelers to arrive in the hub. Not doing so would
inconvenience these passengers tremendously as the next international
flight doesn't leave for another day (and likely has no seats available
as we were all extremely full this summer). These ATC delays and
subsequent holding of international trips led to poor on-time
performance for all
customers.

Doug
SINCE WHEN HAS PHL OR CLT EVER WAITED ON CONNECTIONS

DP
YOU ARE OUT OF TOUCH

I saw it tonight at work on a personal computer from someone who had sent Doug a note about the article as well. It was addressed to about 20 people (I know because their email addresses were showing, guess Tempe didnt pay for the BCC button to work?). Anyway, he got hammered from people and instead of writing to each one about whatever in the article they agreed with, he wrote one response and covered everything the writers had complained about. It was probably also sent out to everyone else as a general spin company reply memo.