Doug Parkers statement on philly.com

towerclt

Jan 8, 2006
In the article on philly.com(another thread on here) "Why is USAIRWAYS big at losing" Doug Parker is quoted as saying
that he is paying market rate for labor & that he didn't think the pay level was the reason for the baggage problems.
"It;s a different world now", Parker said, "We are not going to have a work force with 20 years of experience on the ramp. Indeed we shouldn't".
Well folks if this is the way Parker feels about fleet service, we should all plan to stay home Thanksgiving & Christmas holidays with our families & let the new hires run it. Lets see what happens.
Another meltdown on the way. Hopefully other groups will join.

Yes I read that article too. I too wonder whats the purpose of his statement and what context. Now he could be refering to the current new hires should not expect a job in fleet for 20 years. If he means the current workforce on the east side than buy me out now Doug.
Oh and you think that will solve our baggage problems.
I doubt it.

In the article on philly.com(another thread on here) "Why is USAIRWAYS big at losing" Doug Parker is quoted as saying
that he is paying market rate for labor & that he didn't think the pay level was the reason for the baggage problems.
"It;s a different world now", Parker said, "We are not going to have a work force with 20 years of experience on the ramp. Indeed we shouldn't".
Well folks if this is the way Parker feels about fleet service, we should all plan to stay home Thanksgiving & Christmas holidays with our families & let the new hires run it. Lets see what happens.
Another meltdown on the way. Hopefully other groups will join.

The prevailing attitude with management has been that fleet service was an entry level job and was only a steeping stone to supervisory or admin positions. Bill Franke swore that he would never pay a ramper more than $10/hr. Franke was very vocal about this and, God forbid, a ramper tried to talk to him. He would walk away. Parker is of the same opinion but is much more discreet. Guess he let it slip in that interview. Perhaps he is going to learn the hard way. Cost neutral = effort neutral.

Parker is like one of those closet racists who is all buddy-buddy with African-Americans but when he gets home it is all "n----r n----r n----r".

And WN pays the highest top out wages at over $24 an hour for fleet service, don't forget that fact.

Don't shoot the messenger here but IIRC, SWA pays very very close to the 9.59/hr to start that US does.

That's one of the reasons that they fly in folks from other cities for Temporary Duty. The rates are to low to sustain a quality work force.
Bob,

While your right about the starting wage the practice of flying in temporary help seldom happens only because the employees that they fly in are all on overtime and depending on their pay scale are making much more than 9.59/hr.

On top of that if the employee(s) stay for more than one day the company has to put them up in a hotel which as you well know can become quite expensive especially when your talking about putting up 5 or 6 employees not to mention the second day of OT is all double time

US Air's problems are much deeper than the hourly wage's, as to why upper management cant/wont address those problems is beyond logic.

And WN pays the highest top out wages at over $24 an hour for fleet service, don't forget that fact.

True. But it is a career job at WN but not at USAirways!

Don't forget that fact.....

WN may start at the same level, but as posted above they do top out in the $24 an hour range. At US you start at around $9, and top out at $17....Um, let's see here...Who do I want to go to work for?? That $7 an hour differnce in top rate makes it a no-brainer. As Bob said, $9 an hour may cut it in some areas, but not in the PHL/NYC areas. :eek:

I read the article as well and I agree it’s time we all start just doing our JOBS. In customer service doing your JOB completely you can literally stop the wheels from turning.

I agree he let it slip out and that his true feelings are out of the closet.

When they needed our contracts opened to save the company we opened them.

NOW WHEN THEY ARE MAKING MONEY ON YOUR GIVE BACKS HE SAYS THEY HAVE CONTRACTS IN PLACE AND HAS NO INTENTION OF OPENING THEM.

SOLIDARTY PEOPLE IT IS THE ONLY WAY………………………………

UPS and FEDEX move packages around the world .... like clock work. They are serious about customer service. They both pay a good wage and the employees deliver.

Conclusion, US Airways doesn't care about the customer or the employee.

That's right and it takes you...what...12 years to top out at WN?

The point that I'd like to make here is, that we all have to start somewhere! The problem is, a good portion of the young work force today could give a flying schitt...the dedicated work ethic just doesn't seem to be there anymore.

Same Story, new faces.
Told everyone Parker was JUST LIKE THE PAST CEO'S.

Talked to the union rep, who was in a meeting with top heavy mgmt, VP mentioned, if he HAD HIS WAY< all the employees would make NO MORE then 7.59 per hour!

Nice huh?

Would be nice if this GROUP would offer a buyout like Ford and GM, NFW, it is NOT cost effect for them!

It's all about them.

KMA!

And it takes 10 years top out at US, so lets see, $24 an hour versus $17, not too hard to figure out who will make more in the long run.