Drastic In-Flight Service Cuts

US2

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
The NY Times reports the following drastic cuts in in-flight services. Does anybody have any additional information on this? I especially like the elimination of all glassware. Wine in plastic cups will really make for a classy operation in Envoy...
Along with winning wage and benefit cuts, US Airways has begun cutting costs extensively throughout its operations. In the coming year, it plans to reduce spending on food and beverage service on its flights by 25 percent, according to a memorandum that was distributed to members of the airline''s flight crews.
What is crystal clear is that we are in a tough position with our goal of emerging from bankruptcy at the end of the first quarter, the memo said. To assist in achieving this goal, cost savings measures have been announced. One of the most impacted areas is our on-board levels of service.
The memo said that US Airways passengers ranked in-flight food service as the fourth most important priority in choosing a carrier, behind personal attention, a frustration-free experience, and reliable flight schedules.
Specifically, the memo said US Airways would eliminate meal tray service on all transcontinental flights, and would serve only sandwiches aboard flights lasting more than 3 hours and 15 minutes, the memo said.
International passengers will still receive hot meals. But by April, the airline plans to eliminate glassware on all its flights.
Among other amenities that have already been discontinued are printed menus for passengers on cross-country flights, along with souvenir pilots'' wings for young passengers, the memo said. Mr. Castelveter said he was not familiar with the memo, but said the airline was focusing on reducing its costs wherever possible.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/22/2002 3:12:45 PM taylor01 wrote:

...Stop asking for free food since it's not included in you tkt price!!!!
----------------
[/blockquote]

Tell that to the guy who paid $1000+ for a one way to the West Coast...

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/22/2002 3:12:45 PM taylor01 wrote:

...Stop asking for free food since it's not included in you tkt price!!!!
----------------
[/blockquote]

Tell that to the guy who paid $1000+ for a one way to the West Coast...

Honestly, I'm all for cutting the food service on flights. There's no reason an airline needs to feed people with all the food places in terminals these days. Even when I do upgrade, I still purchase food in the terminal and eat it on the plane in lieu of the F meal. $6 at Au Bon Pain in PIT beats any of the F meals I've had on any carrier hands down.

Plus, I always ask for coffee in the styrofoam cups anyway -- you get twice as much coffee and reduces the hassle factor of asking the already overworked F/As in the A321s for a second cup.

People need to get over their obsession with eating on planes, IMHO. [img src='http://www.usaviation.com/idealbb/images/smilies/1.gif']

Honestly, I'm all for cutting the food service on flights. There's no reason an airline needs to feed people with all the food places in terminals these days. Even when I do upgrade, I still purchase food in the terminal and eat it on the plane in lieu of the F meal. $6 at Au Bon Pain in PIT beats any of the F meals I've had on any carrier hands down.

Plus, I always ask for coffee in the styrofoam cups anyway -- you get twice as much coffee and reduces the hassle factor of asking the already overworked F/As in the A321s for a second cup.

People need to get over their obsession with eating on planes, IMHO. [img src='http://www.usaviation.com/idealbb/images/smilies/1.gif']

Taylor -I'll disagree. US1 here for several years. I've watched my friends at U give back in order to keep this fantastic airline running.

If giving up 'glassware' or a meal will help U survive -no complaints on my side!

At some point in the future (when and if) the airline returns to sufficent and sustained profitabilty, I hope U will consider reinstating those factors which differenate it from the low cost carriers!

Good luck!!

Phillyguy(booked 3 sets of tickets since the annoucement of U "NOT" shutting down this week)

Taylor -I'll disagree. US1 here for several years. I've watched my friends at U give back in order to keep this fantastic airline running.

If giving up 'glassware' or a meal will help U survive -no complaints on my side!

At some point in the future (when and if) the airline returns to sufficent and sustained profitabilty, I hope U will consider reinstating those factors which differenate it from the low cost carriers!

Good luck!!

Phillyguy(booked 3 sets of tickets since the annoucement of U "NOT" shutting down this week)

FYI, checking some flights in January shows "S" for Coach meal service on PHL-SEA, PIT-SEA, PHL-SFO and PHL-AUA. First meal service still shows "B", "L" or "F".

FYI, checking some flights in January shows "S" for Coach meal service on PHL-SEA, PIT-SEA, PHL-SFO and PHL-AUA. First meal service still shows "B", "L" or "F".