Drink Ticket Books

nycbusdriver

Veteran
Dec 19, 2002
The Capital of the World
Visit site
Here's an interesting idea that the old Winston-Salem based Piedmont used in the 1980's (for cocktails) that may make charging for all drinks a bit more palatable.

Issue ticket books that can be purchased online or at the ticket counter for use in purchasing soft drinks, cocktails or headsets.

-- Book of 10: $16.00

-- Book of 20: $30.00

-- Single drink tickets for $1.65

-- All drink ticket sales NON-REFUNDABLE.

-- One ticket per soft drink; four tickets per alcoholic beverage; two tickets for headsets.

Even with the discounted prices the profit margin for the product is incredible. It also takes some of the burden from the flight attendants who won't have to worry about making change so often. Customers can prepay at the ticket counter with their credit card, or online with CC or PayPal. It will be a larger up-front infusion of cash. Customers will likely have leftover tickets that will either: 1.) go unused (free money), or 2.) encourage them to book again on US Airways to use up their supply.

This is an excellent idea and comes from the Piedmont Playbook but this management is a bunch of morons, they will even botch this...

BMI offers it's frequent flyers complimentary meals/drinks if you show them your FF Card...Why doesn't US do that officially anyhow.

This is an excellent idea and comes from the Piedmont Playbook but this management is a bunch of morons, they will even botch this...

As most of the ex-piedmont fliers know, most of Gordon Bethune's ideas for customer and employee satisfaction at CO came from the Piedmont Playbook. I am not knocking CO success, but many of the ideas were tried and true.

and for us non-rev mutts how about letting us use our NON REFUNDABLE first class upgrades for beverages? I have about $120.00 worth of these upgrades, coming up on the three year mark, which are impossible to use on flights. First class always sold out. Last time I traveled and ordered drinks, seated in coach, four cocktails for me and the wife total $20.00, I offered to pay the F/A with a first class upgrade, face value $20.00, she looked at me like I was nuts. I am! Back when I purchased the upgrades they were refundable, but the fleas at the sandle castle changed the rules after the game started.

and for us non-rev mutts how about letting us use our NON REFUNDABLE first class upgrades for beverages? I have about $120.00 worth of these upgrades, coming up on the three year mark, which are impossible to use on flights. First class always sold out. Last time I traveled and ordered drinks, seated in coach, four cocktails for me and the wife total $20.00, I offered to pay the F/A with a first class upgrade, face value $20.00, she looked at me like I was nuts. I am! Back when I purchased the upgrades they were refundable, but the fleas at the sandle castle changed the rules after the game started.

If they changed the policy after you purchased them, I'd file in small claims court just to rattle their cage. I'm not a lawyer, but it sounds to me that contract law might obligate them to refund your money.

Years ago, before we merged, I had Dougie on my flight and I spent 20 minutes trying to sell the idea of coupon books that could used to purchase headsets, or drinks. A few months later he was at a FA "town hall" and I again made the suggestion. I was basically told that Mule (Anthony) was against it because there was too much technology out there that would allow for fraud/counterfeiting. Whatever. Now that he is gone, maybe that is something that could be done. For me the biggest selling point on implementing coupons is that you get the consumers money upfront. The coupons should be treated like the old paper tickets, non-refundable and if you lose them, oh well. But an idea like coupons just makes to much sense so it will never happen. ;)

While I agree with the concept of selling beverages and pillows/blankets ONLY I will NEVER be onboard until there are tickets/coupons for purchase or a cashless handheld from day 1. NOPE. :down:

While I agree with the concept of selling beverages and pillows/blankets ONLY I will NEVER be onboard until there are tickets/coupons for purchase or a cashless handheld from day 1. NOPE. :down:

How about uhmm...comp'ing some ;) JkJk...We don't need Dougweiser to find out on the board which FAs to flirt with for free Budweisers.

Years ago, before we merged, I had Dougie on my flight and I spent 20 minutes trying to sell the idea of coupon books that could used to purchase headsets, or drinks. A few months later he was at a FA "town hall" and I again made the suggestion. I was basically told that Mule (Anthony) was against it because there was too much technology out there that would allow for fraud/counterfeiting. Whatever. Now that he is gone, maybe that is something that could be done. For me the biggest selling point on implementing coupons is that you get the consumers money upfront. The coupons should be treated like the old paper tickets, non-refundable and if you lose them, oh well. But an idea like coupons just makes to much sense so it will never happen. ;)

Is this another example of a crook thinking everybody else is a crook.

BTW, CO sells coupons at their Kiosk and DL gives adult drink coupons to elites for use in coach or an RJ. They don't seem to be afraid of counterfeiting of coupon.

Or was it that Mule felt the IT department could not program the kiosks to sell drink coupons at check in.

Either one, Tempe never seems to amaze me in their statements.

Ok, i have an even simpler idea. Sell the drink at the time of purchase and print out the coupon on the boarding pass... example...

At the checkout online...

Your total is $500.00
Add a soft drink on your flight for $2.00 _____
Add a snack on your flight for $5.00 _____

You could also sell the "coupon book" at the checkout...
Buy a soft drink coupon book $10.00 ____ (will print out when you print your boarding pass)

Would even save printing costs. Make the kiosk print a bunch of coupons, or have the coupons print out with the boarding pass...

I honestly dont think anyone is going to make a business out of counterfeiting coupons for soft drinks on an airline...

Is this another example of a crook thinking everybody else is a crook.

BTW, CO sells coupons at their Kiosk and DL gives adult drink coupons to elites for use in coach or an RJ. They don't seem to be afraid of counterfeiting of coupon.

Or was it that Mule felt the IT department could not program the kiosks to sell drink coupons at check in.

Either one, Tempe never seems to amaze me in their statements.

I know CO does it and I even pointed that out. Not once was the possibility that the IT might not be able to do it brought up. That would definitely make more sense than the whole counterfeit crap. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if CO can do then we should be able to as well.

The sandcastle people never cease to amaze me either. They are beyond pathetic sometimes most of the time.

I am plat on CO (their highest level) and they send me FREE drink coupons. The horrors!

Here's an interesting idea that the old Winston-Salem based Piedmont used in the 1980's (for cocktails) that may make charging for all drinks a bit more palatable.

When I was hired at Piedmont we did use ticket books. At that time alcoholic beverages cost $2.50 each. The ticket books cost $15.00 for 10 tickets which came out to $1.50 per drink-----a one dollar savings/10 dollars per book. It was a very popular concept for the customer. However, some employees chose to ruin this by purchasing the ticket books themselves, taking the $2.50 cash from the customer and substituting a ticket that cost them $1.50. The profit was ten bucks for each book the employee bought. Quite a few people got fired when the scam came to light. Some people may not be able to resist the temptation to try to make up for the pay cuts of the last two bankruptcies.....
I'm all for ticket books but don't make them discount tickets.....just make them the price that is set...or even better don't charge for drinks at all. At the meeting in PHL Travis Christ said he is sure others will follow suit to be in line with our changes....I don't see them doing it. It's an embarrassing decision that should be rescinded.

Latest posts