Dropping Dca 30 Minute Rule

a320av8r

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Department of Homeland Security will suspend a regulation requiring passengers on planes approaching and departing Reagan National Airport to remain seated 30 minutes before landing and after takeoff, the department's chief said Wednesday.

The rule was put in place after the terror attacks of September 11, 2001. Planes flying into Reagan airport come within five miles of the White House and therefore are considered a bigger threat than planes using other airports.

"This 30-minute seating rule was a sensible measure when first applied," said Secretary of Homeland Security Michael Chertoff. "Now, almost four years later, significantly enhanced layers of security ranging from hardened cockpit doors to air marshals make it reasonable to eliminate this requirement."

He was speaking at an event in which he detailed changes to his department.

The crowd of journalists and Washington insiders applauded when Chertoff mentioned the change.

The rule has been unpopular with many travelers who fly into and out of Washington on a regular basis.

Chertoff gave no exact time for the change to go into effect, but a DHS official told CNN to expect it "within a matter of days."

RowUnderDCA said:
Funny, but I don't miss PA Ave. I think it may be used more by Virginians, so who cares?
[post="281770"][/post]​

Closing PA Ave. killed H Street and further messed up E and K streets, which is fine if you take the subway. Or, better yet, walk - not today, of course. Chamber of Commerce claims it hurt retail sales on Conn Ave all the way to DuPont Circle. But if it means the occupants of the White House can sleep better, who am I to complain?

Back to the topic: On CO EWR flights, the 30 minute rule meant the whole flight; which did make for a peaceful trip.

Twicebaked said:
It was popular with the f/a though. That was 30 minutes of peace.
[post="281736"][/post]​

I say AMEN to that :up:

a320av8r said:
CNN reporting that the rule was dropped as of today. :up:

I hated that stupid rule.
[post="281784"][/post]​

I haven't seen anything in writing yet. But if true there goes our 30 Min. of peace going into DCA. :down: