Dub, Snn, And Gla Are On The Embargo List, Why?

dbcooper

Nov 5, 2003
I was surprised to see that SNN, DUB, and GLA were on the NRSA embargo list for "new service" cities. Since this is NOT new city start up service, but resumption of seasonal flying, what's up with the embargo? Any good reason for this?

That is strange. I thought that after the embargo was over that was it. No more embargo. Maybe because the service is seasonal they have to have another embargo. I have never heard that one. I can not see them doing that every year. Did they do that last year? Because I beleive this is the 3rd year.

these flts will sellout. They've been really full since we've started these routes. The overbookings are just crazy in the summer. East jet from london sometimes runs 1 GBP + Tax. MIght be a good alt.

basher said:
these flts will sellout. They've been really full since we've started these routes. The overbookings are just crazy in the summer. East jet from london sometimes runs 1 GBP + Tax. MIght be a good alt.
[post="253317"][/post]​
These flights start a little slowly then do get busy but it seems the embargos should begin a little closer to the summer season.

I flew Dublin, Shannon and Glaskow when they first started. The first two weeks were completely empty. We did a flight with 12 passengers in coach going over. Then the return flights really picked up. I flew those cities all summer due to seniority. I grew to like them and made friends with the airport staff. Those flights were oversold almost everyday, no joke. How about this, The irish govt. asked if we would do year round svc since most airlines are seasonal. We "usairways" said NO....... The govt. was gonna foot the bill. No shocker there. So anyway, the pax loads pick up rather quickly.

Travelpro72 said:
I flew Dublin, Shannon and Glaskow when they first started. The first two weeks were completely empty. We did a flight with 12 passengers in coach going over. Then the return flights really picked up. I flew those cities all summer due to seniority. I grew to like them and made friends with the airport staff. Those flights were oversold almost everyday, no joke. How about this, The irish govt. asked if we would do year round svc since most airlines are seasonal. We "usairways" said NO....... The govt. was gonna foot the bill. No shocker there. So anyway, the pax loads pick up rather quickly.
[post="253393"][/post]​
;) ;) Oh Heavens NO! US needs to fly them to ORLANDO where the yield is nilch, zip, nada. Come on now that makes too much sense- US doesnt want to do anything smart or out of the box now. Like drop Panama City and San Slavador- btw, FULL!! I"m constantly amazed by our marketing dept - or should i say lack there of!!!

DUB could work year round, but there's not much point in flying to SNN year round -- it's tourists in the summer and that's about it. The US/Ireland bilateral requires carriers to serve both destinations. Until that's changed, nobody will fly it year round except for EI.

Is there a new ground handler on the other side of the pond? That might drive an embargo.

The locals in shannon are left with the options of either Aer Lingus or a change in europe in the slow months. In order to get around the laws now they could do SNN as a flagstop on the way to DUB possibly. The loads and money are there so why would we ever do it. LOL....

Travelpro72 said:
The locals in shannon are left with the options of either Aer Lingus or a change in europe in the slow months. In order to get around the laws now they could do SNN as a flagstop on the way to DUB possibly. The loads and money are there so why would we ever do it. LOL....
[post="253827"][/post]​

Some carriers have done flagstops in the past, but landing fees, ground handling, and fuel aren't offset by what little revenue you gain @ SNN.

The irish govt. was willing to cover the costs for us to stay. No other us carrier serves so we could have had a great advantage. The flights are really popular and even chosen over aer lingus by the irish passengers as well. Being on aer lingus vs. usairways the service is much better on us as far as coach goes. nobody will ever know now.

USAirways Management is NOT in Business to make money. Why fly a International Route that the Irish Goverment would subsidize? We are talking about a Company that would rather spend a Million to save a Hundred, then spend that Hundred Dollars. Again, a lack of a Quality Marketing Department strikes again.

When I worked those flights all summer into the fall it was so damn frustrating to see that we would not stay. They obviously wanted/needed us. We were always taken care of so well there. The overbookigns? thats another story. OFF THE CHART. Almost every flight that I worked had oversells. They were put on Delta, Continental or Aer Lingus "IF" they were not oversold as well. They had to call the police when we were stuck there for 4 days with a busted 767. The passengers were going wild in the airport. Why oversell an int'l flight when you KNOW you dont have another to put them on. HMMMMM.....lol

The problem is US does not have enough widebodies for all the european and carribean flights, they switch the planes between those regions during the busy seasons in each respective region.

Because that would make sense. At one time US was looking at some older 767s but they need too much work so they never got them, rememebr 654US was a total loss in the engine explosion and fire and they returned 647US in the first chapter 11, so US is down two widebodies and does not have enough to go around.

Latest posts