Eagle Reductions

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Real Deal

Aug 20, 2002
Does any of the AA shrinking affect Eagle or just mainline? I have heard rumors of Eagle leaving some smaller Illinois markets. Has anyone else heard this? If it is true is this something happening everywhere of just there?

Mikey,

I think AA's going to violate the scope clause regardless. With the retirement of 74 F100's and no new mainline deliveries, it seems almost inevitable...unless AA either finds a way to do more "reverse codesharing" through the Connection carriers or just takes an axe to Eagle.

I don't think Eagle serves that many small Illinois markets anymore. The only two I think are PIA and BMI (the other Illinois towns are American Connection feeding into STL). Eagle has threatened BMI before so I guess anything is possible.

Overall, I wouldn't be surprised to see a few Eagle markets cut as AA continues to streamline the operation. Also, any market that feeds into ORD or DFW that can't support RJ's will eventually get chopped.

Remember Eagle can not grow until the AA pilots are back from layoff. Thats part of the "SCOPE" agreement. To add service in place they must stop it somewhere else. Eagle will be adding hourly service between DCA-BOS and LGA. So service will end or drop in other areas.

----------------
On 8/21/2002 10:52:42 AM

I don't think Eagle serves that many small Illinois markets anymore. The only two I think are PIA and BMI (the other Illinois towns are American Connection feeding into STL). Eagle has threatened BMI before so I guess anything is possible.

----------------

Eagle serves BMI,PIA,SPI,CMI,and MLI (I believe). I would doubt that any of these are set to get cut. UAL does not serve CMI, where the only competition is NW (1 stop to MSP and nonstop to DTW). Here, AA offers 5x to ORD on ERJ-140s and -145s, and 7x to STL on JetStream 41s (American Connection). I think they're safe (besides, they're building a new parallel runway there - don't ask me why - I've been on TW Express when we did a U-turn on the active runway and taxied back down the runway to get to the terminal rather than run a bit more down the runway and use the taxiway).

PIA I think is too large for any complete cuts in service. AA has 4x to ORD and 7x to STL there, competing with 3x Delta to ATL (ASA, 2x to DTW and MSP on NW Airlink, and 4x UAL to ORD (ACA and mainline) and 2x to DEN.

BMI has more competition, with AA offering 3x to ORD and 8x to STL, while Airtran offers 3x to ATL, UAL 3x to ORD, and NW Airlink 4x to DTW and 2x to MSP. With traffic increasing more than 100% at this airport in the past 2 years, and a brand new 9-gate terminal opening last fall, I don't see this being a potential cut any time soon (especially as the drop of service by Frontier didn't result in any drop in pax).

American Eagle does not serve MLI.

The only service is through STL on a combination of mainline AA and Trans States.

"Bloomington-Normal is one of 19 markets losing service, Bailey said, as American Eagle shifts planes to cover routes that American Airlines is dropping."

The quote above (which comes from the link provided by Real Deal) indicates 19 markets losing Eagle service...anyone know the other cities??

----------------
On 8/21/2002 2:00:07 PM

"Bloomington-Normal is one of 19 markets losing service, Bailey said, as American Eagle shifts planes to cover routes that American Airlines is dropping."

The quote above (which comes from the link provided by Real Deal) indicates 19 markets losing Eagle service...anyone know the other cities??
----------------

It is so sh**ty to see AE having to withdraw from markets and surrender market share to other carriers. Request from AA customers to AA mgmt and the pilots unions: Please lock yourselves together in a room and don't come out until you reach an agreement that allows AE to expand as needed in the current environment. It is NOT in the long term interest of either the mainline service or the regional service for AA as a whole to be giving up market share. I understand that the mainline pilots' rights need to be protected, but from this customer's perspective, all that this current situation is producing is lost business and the chance for other carriers to develop loyalty in markets that you formerly served. And once you let another carrier (especially if it's a low cost guy) win customer loyalty, it's hard to get it back. I'm very concerned that this scope issue, if not resolved in a manner that allows AE to expand, could be the long-term killer of AA.

----------------
On 8/21/2002 2:14:40 PM

----------------
On 8/21/2002 2:00:07 PM

----------------

It is so sh**ty to see AE having to withdraw from markets and surrender market share to other carriers. Request from AA customers to AA mgmt and the pilots unions: Please lock yourselves together in a room and don't come out until you reach an agreement that allows AE to expand as needed in the current environment. It is NOT in the long term interest of either the mainline service or the regional service for AA as a whole to be giving up market share. I understand that the mainline pilots' rights need to be protected, but from this customer's perspective, all that this current situation is producing is lost business and the chance for other carriers to develop loyalty in markets that you formerly served. And once you let another carrier (especially if it's a low cost guy) win customer loyalty, it's hard to get it back. I'm very concerned that this scope issue, if not resolved in a manner that allows AE to expand, could be the long-term killer of AA.

----------------

Well yea, that all makes sense but..........

Actually I can/t think of a thing to argue about with your post.

WFFF,

I agree, there is no way to argue with a fact.

I just love being strangled.[:knockout:]

The question in my mind is does APA see this larger picture? Does its membership? It is just wrong for a workgroup from one company to have such profound and illogical control over another company that has such great potential and could very well save their own hides if allowed to.
If AA doesn't, I see many lawyers getting very rich out of APAs pocket. It won't be the first time that APA has had to pay for it's imputance.

----------------
On 8/22/2002 9:43:08 AM

I don't think there are many (if any) people that would disagree with this. Personally, I think they should get rid of / ease up on the restrictions they have and in return get some sort of capacity restriction on Eagle into a particular market. That is, if Eagle is offering 250 seats a day in a market and wants to add flights, they have to add mainline instead... what the threshold should be I don't know, but something along these lines would prevent Eagle from growing out of control, but could allow AMR to protect its market share.

----------------
On 8/22/2002 1:11:24 PM

----------------
On 8/22/2002 9:43:08 AM

I don't think there are many (if any) people that would disagree with this. Personally, I think they should get rid of / ease up on the restrictions they have and in return get some sort of capacity restriction on Eagle into a particular market. That is, if Eagle is offering 250 seats a day in a market and wants to add flights, they have to add mainline instead... what the threshold should be I don't know, but something along these lines would prevent Eagle from growing out of control, but could allow AMR to protect its market share.

----------------

I would agree that perhaps capacity limits are a better way to look at the situation. Unfortunately, few of the pilot unions have realized yet that public's air travel have changed and the good old days must change or the air line itself will fall victim to the economies of change. [:((]

Colorado

As a customer, the fact that AA could not replace its mainline SJC-SEA service with Eagle service means that I have to give all of that business to Alaska. Alaska's ability to dominate the West Coast 10x/daily LAX-SEA, SJC-SEA, SFO-SEA, etc., service has now given Alaska a springboard to start challenging AA on their own "bread and butter" -- the transcons. So you can see how the caps on Eagle service are having a domino effect and raising up competitors to the mainline service.

I wish, I wish, that AMR mgmt and pilots would achieve a positive breakthrough on this issue very soon. I am tired of having to give my business to competitors.

----------------
On 8/22/2002 1:43:16 PM
Unfortunately, few of the pilot unions have realized yet that public's air travel have changed and the good old days must change or the air line itself will fall victim to the economies of change. [:((]

Colorado
----------------

No doubt... Its a nasty problem for them. Giving in could appear to be hurting their members short-term, but restricting the company from responding to changes threatens their future, and in the end can very well be a greater threat to their jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.