Early Out Policy And The New Merger News.

Dec 21, 2002
www.usaviation.com
For those that already have left, are you still comfortable with your decision to leave US ?
For those that have not left but your sever date is upcoming, would you welcome the chance with "changed management" to rescind your decision, and/or should the company(s) offer the option for one to do so..or just say "HECK NO I still want out!"?

Severed-N-Happy said:
For those that already have left, are you still comfortable with your decision to leave US ?
For those that have not left but your sever date is upcoming, would you welcome the chance with "changed management" to rescind your decision, and/or should the company(s) offer the option for one to do so..or just say "
[post="271174"][/post]​

HECK NO I still want out!

This industry as a whole will continue to spiral down. You can change the paint, but the metal under the paint is still the same,
Good luck to all in the new company... for me, THANK GOD I'M GONE!

I for one, would welcome the chance to be able to get back to the West Coast with a job! After listening to the earlier webcast, I really feel manipulated and decieved. All through our 2nd trip into bankruptcy we were told concessions were needed because of 1. revenue and 2. fuel. But it now turns out that Bruce was just trying to get labor costs in line with America West for this marriage. They started talking over one year ago, and Bruce decided we needed one more spanking through the courts. Or, America West said get your costs down and then we will talk. Either way, we were not told the truth, or given the "big picture."

I gave my acceptance to the buyout with the understanding that there were no other options(except, gee, if I had dual citizenship, one of the outsourced offices)

This was the plan all along, and while I certainly understand the legality of not disclosing some of this information, I do not understand the morality of it.

livingontheedge said:
I for one, would welcome the chance to be able to get back to the West Coast with a job! After listening to the earlier webcast, I really feel manipulated and decieved. All through our 2nd trip into bankruptcy we were told concessions were needed because of 1. revenue and 2. fuel. But it now turns out that Bruce was just trying to get labor costs in line with America West for this marriage. They started talking over one year ago, and Bruce decided we needed one more spanking through the courts. Or, America West said get your costs down and then we will talk. Either way, we were not told the truth, or given the "big picture."

I gave my acceptance to the buyout with the understanding that there were no other options(except, gee, if I had dual citizenship, one of the outsourced offices)

This was the plan all along, and while I certainly understand the legality of not disclosing some of this information, I do not understand the morality of it.
[post="271191"][/post]​
My decision was based on the (mis) management of U. I might have made a different decision if I had any indication that a different management would be in place. Deception and lack of morals has been an ongoing theme in CC with a trickle down effect to lower management.
HP management hopefully will be a refreshing change and will enable the employees that remain a chance to believe and trust again.
I sincerely hope that this is the beginning of a new and different era for the employees of HP and U.

BOY aint that the truth. However, look at TWA and AA - they got a similiar beating except the ALL lost their jobs..F/a's and Pilots and almost everyone else. It's the nature of the beast ( airline industry) hopefully the NEW US will be strong and grow, so everyone can have the opportunities that they deserve! Everyone at US made sacrificies, hopefully they will pay off in the end. Just grateful US mgmt is headed out the door!!!!!!!
livingontheedge said:

[post="271191"][/post]​
B) B) B)

I feel betrayed and lied to. I am one who signed the E.O papers, with the thought the Airline did not have much of a future, due mainly because of such things as the Dec meltdown, Bronners remarks that clearly drove passengers away and just plain mismanagement.. What distrubs me the most, is that while the company was negoiating my E.O. plan, they were also talking with HP. For almost a year. I personally feel they bargained with my union in bad faith.. I would have never signed up for the E.O if i thought a merger was in the future, now my lifetime flying is also in doubt. i am just disappointed.

Doug Parker should step in and say something at this point, he seems he knows how to run an airline and is not just a snowbird from florida. I wouldn't be suprised to see if they do offer people the opprotunity to recind the buyouts in light of the current developments. However, they may already count the buyouts for dead and cut their losses and move on.

Some who have decided to leave may have a different view of the Airline now, and may want to reverse their decision. For those who are leaving due to outsourcing, there is no other option at this point. We can hope that Parker and his team take a look at some of the past decisions made by US Management, and evaluate them on their own. As FSA Agents we have recall right for 4 years, but at this time would be pushed back to starting wages afer 60 days on Furlough. I doubt that any of the Class 2 Stations would be reinstated in the future anyway. Maybe if some of us decide to put in a Transfer request in the next 4 years there will be some changes made to the current policy.

First I would like to address the sense of being lied to about the merger and getting costs down.. If you read the papers and have any understanding of today's corporate culture, Enron, etc.., then you would know that management does what's best for money in their pockets, and the workers are viewed as a liability and not as an asset. Also, if for some reason there is the off chance that the U management actually tried to pursue ALL avenues for survival then you could say they did a good job. I suspect that the reality is somewhere in the middle.

My husband gave his 60 day notice to retire this week. (19 years and 53 years old) He does not see his position getting any better, even with the merger. There just simply isn't enough time on his side with the mandatory retirement at age 60. He is near the bottom on the list (at least here in PIT) and little hope of ever making Captain again. With the possibility that PIT will continue to get smaller that makes communing and/or relocating a probability. So we did the math. With no reimbursement for any moving expense that can be quite expensive or commuting expenses, still a possibility of being laid off with the announcement of a further reduction in aircraft, no retirement, no defined contribution plan, and no medical insurance at age 60, and two kids in high school by that time, why should he stay?? It's a good day job, don't get me wrong, but not a good long term job. What do we do in seven years???

The new job is outside of aviation and it pays well, not as good as his current position, but good enough. There is a sense of stability, a 40 hour work week, and he will be home at night. We do not have to move and disrupt our children's lives, or endure the cost of moving again. It gives me the opportunity to further my career in financial services industry.

If you are still a Captain at U the merger is good news or those who have no other options, it is far better than the a chapter 7. But doing the math long term we are better off outside of the aviation industry. It's still a bittersweet situation.

Wish everyone the best.

usfly said:
I feel betrayed and lied to. I am one who signed the E.O papers, with the thought the Airline did not have much of a future, due mainly because of such things as the Dec meltdown, Bronners remarks that clearly drove passengers away and just plain mismanagement.. What distrubs me the most, is that while the company was negoiating my E.O. plan, they were also talking with HP. For almost a year. I personally feel they bargained with my union in bad faith.. I would have never signed up for the E.O if i thought a merger was in the future, now my lifetime flying is also in doubt. i am just disappointed.
[post="271320"][/post]​
usfly,
The CWA CBA runs through 2011, I believe. If a new union is certified or new contract negotiated I don't think there should be hope of it being much better. Probably worse. I have read a couple of good things about Parker and at this point will miss having the opportunity to work for him. Maybe some good things will come of this. All the "experts" predicted PI/US would kick ass but as we know is has been YEARS of grief. Even if this turns rosy you would have to work a couple of more years under the S-C-U-M that is running the show now. I have a hard time mentally giving my best effort while we remain under our present "leaders". You still do not know what kind of future this combined airline has. For my friends I leave behind, I hope nothng but the absolute best. THEY DESERVE IT. I too am a little disappointed. But, You and I made a decision. We must look foward. No second guessing. Hopefully We will be seated in F/C next to each other some day.

CS AGENT said:
HECK NO I still want out!

This industry as a whole will continue to spiral down. You can change the paint, but the metal under the paint is still the same,
Good luck to all in the new company... for me, THANK GOD I'M GONE!
[post="271176"][/post]​
Good Post!

Lots of money involved doesn't make two negatives a positive. What is amazing to watch is how much money rich people throw in the hole which only goes to show you they have too much of it to begin with.

av8orwife said:
First I would like to address the sense of being lied to about the merger and getting costs down.. If you read the papers and have any understanding of today's corporate culture, Enron, etc.., then you would know that management does what's best for money in their pockets, and the workers are viewed as a liability and not as an asset. Also, if for some reason there is the off chance that the U management actually tried to pursue ALL avenues for survival then you could say they did a good job. I suspect that the reality is somewhere in the middle.

My husband gave his 60 day notice to retire this week. (19 years and 53 years old) He does not see his position getting any better, even with the merger. ...

Wish everyone the best.
[post="271365"][/post]​

av8orwife, it's a personal choice everyone has to make. I'm around the same senority as your spouse; however, I'm ten years younger. I feel for your husband. In this business it's tough to move around when you reach a certain age. I'm glad your husband has found something more stable and more family friendly. I too will be leaving. I'm scheduled in a class with an Asian carrier starting early next year. Luckily, I'll be based in the U.S. and will get back a family friendly schedule. As it stands today (this could change), I'm not convinced this merger is a "cure" for US Airways. I'm still leaving because I don't want to be in the position your husband is in 10 years from now. Good luck to you and your family.

Eye

Sorry to be cold, but that's life. Talk to the 500 fa/s who could not take the e.o. because they chose to take a 3 year VF, allowing furloughed f/as from not having their jobs eliminated.

When I read the early out papers it was evident to me, that there was a bigger plan underway. The papers were full of legalese....especially facts known or unknown, misrepresentation, no legal right to sue.....one would not have to look to far to see that something was up.

Plus, a company that is willing to pay so much to get people out, must have a plan. I tried to tell as many folks as I could to try to hang on, but each person had to make their best decision. It was a gamble either way. At least they may get their flight benefits which could have disappeared completely if the name of the company had changed.

I am very pleased with the news. I have great hopes for the future under Mr Parker. After dealing with Wolf, Gangwal, and Siegel....it is about time we got
some honest leadership.

best of luck to all....it is a tough career and certainly everyone has had to sacrifice a tremendous amount.

Latest posts