Economy comfort coming to longhaul international

WorldTraveler

Corn Field
Dec 5, 2003
ATLANTA, Feb. 7, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Delta Air Lines (NYSE:DAL - News) today announced a major investment in its international fleet with plans to introduce a premium economy section – "Economy Comfort" – on all long-haul international flights in summer 2011. The new seats will feature up to four additional inches of legroom and 50 percent more recline than Delta's standard international Economy class seats.

more from DL's press release
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Delta-Adding-New-Economy-prnews-2866281316.html?x=0&.v=1

Goes on to say that there will be complementary access to Diamond and Platinum medallions as well as reduced charges for other medallions.

Seems like a good move in integrating the product with AF-KL as well as providing a new revenue stream... for most passengers, it would seem that the $80-160 upgrade cost will be well worth it in extra space. I would imagine those seats will be full most of the time.

Also seems like it will be a competitive US carrier standard given that UA already has it and I would bet will expand it to CO's fleet (not sure if that decision has been made). Seems like AA will have to do it as well.

I'd be curious to know the seat counts for this "sub-cabin" by fleet type for those who know... reports are that the conversions are in process so I guess it isn't a surprise.

Also seems like it might provide an int'l "gimme" to high value passengers without giving in to their desire for more free upgrades to business class... and also provides incentives to buy int'l travel early in order to get the best type of upgrade (bizE or if full, economy comfort)

Also says that the 330s are getting 777 style (rather than the 767) lie flat BusinessElite lie flat seats.... which completes the process of upgrading the BE on all DL longhaul widebodies. I think it shows that the 330s will be plying increasingly important routes for DL... the 330s provide great upgauge opportunities compared to 767 routes so it seems strategically necessary.