EMB 190 Arbitration update?

algflyr

Veteran
Aug 21, 2002
Day 1 of the EMB 190 Arbitration was yesterday with day 2 occuring today. These are open meetings, has anyone attended? Anyone have any updates on how they are going?

Is that a fact or are you just trying to stir the pot?

I think the request was for some legitimate information.

A320 Driver B)

That was just flame bait. He posted that soon after I posted the original post.

It's almost 9:30 on the east cast, and still no information. could the arbitration still be going on?...

I thought US Airways and America West collective bargaining agreements with ALPA allowed for a combined maximum of ninety-three (93) CRJ-900 what is the Arbitration about?

I thought US Airways and America West collective bargaining agreements with ALPA allowed for a combined maximum of ninety-three (93) CRJ-900 what is the Arbitration about?

The 190 can only be flown by mainline, and had nothing to do with the 93 aircraft scope limit. Since this is being considered "new" flying, it must be split between the east and the west. The arbitration was to decide how this flying would be split...

The "bottom line" from the ALPA site:

"Arbitrators Eischen’s decision is expected within the next two weeks."

Jim

No - the Transition Agreement stipulates that if the two sides can't agree on how to split the flying provided by new airplanes, it goes to an arbitrator to decide.

When the 3 new 757's were announced, the two sides agreed on how the flying was to be split. With the 190's, they weren't able to agree. So now it's in the hands of the arbitrator.

Jim

Day 1 of the EMB 190 Arbitration was yesterday with day 2 occuring today. These are open meetings, has anyone attended? Anyone have any updates on how they are going?

Hope this helps for an update;

MEC Chairman's Letter to AWA Pilots Regarding E190 Decision

September 8, 2006

Fellow America West Pilots,

Attached to this letter is a copy of Arbitrator Eischen's decision regarding the E190 flying; the Readers Digest version can be found on page 15. While we are still working to analyze this decision with our merger attorney, I felt that this matter was important enough to immediately forward it on to you.

The decision essentially grants the AWA pilot group no fewer than 95 Captain positions and 95 First Officer positions on the E190 based upon the total expected deliveries of 57 aircraft. The arbitrator also stated that the America West pilots' "fair and equitable" allocation is one third of the allocated slots. The arbitrator also declined to immediately grant the AWA pilots flying status on the E190, but instead pushed the slots into an "IOU" status similar to the B757 LOU.

I think it is important to identify a few salient points of the decision. First, this award shall not affect the seniority integration process that will take place with a different arbitrator under the strict confines of ALPA Merger Policy. Second, while AWA pilots will have to wait until after the seniority and operational integration processes are complete to get these slots, a total number of ninety-five (95) Captain and ninety-five (95) First Officer slots have been reserved for our pilots.

The AWA MEC, through our merger attorney and our witnesses, presented a very well-prepared and compelling case. As it is with all arbitrations, one never knows which way the arbitrator will rule until he rules. It is clear that the arbitrator took a conservative route and did not want to create a complex award and was also concerned about setting any precedent or affecting the arbitration for the final seniority integration.

In closing, I want to say that this award was not expected. As with most arbitrators' decisions, both parties don't get what they wanted or completely expected. I am confident that this MEC will leave no stone unturned in our protection of the AWA pilot group.

Fraternally,

Captain John McIlvenna
AWA MEC Acting Chairman

Just out of curiosity, did ALPA ever come out with a way to run a phantom bid and include the furloughees? or send a preference form to furloughees - so as to project forward when furloughees might be recalled (based on E190 deliveries) and, hopefully, provide them with some information in advance?

Not trying to stir the pot, but it seems the association or, at the very least the furlough admin, could do a lot more.

Can't remember the last time I received a furlough update.

I sent an email outlining my thoughts to both the furlough administrator and the PHL F/O rep (since he had been a proponent of the MDA pilot's issues), but haven't heard a word.

As far as forecasting recalls, it'd truthfully be hard to do. Too much is unknown about the future fleet - will there be replacements for the 757's leaving in the spring, how many of the other planes that have leases expire will leave resulting in the 190's being replacement and not growth, aircraft utilization as integration proceeds, etc.

Then there's the combined contract issues which may affect pilot productivity and thus staffing.

Anything they put together for a "recall timeline" would be a best guess, but a guess none-the-less.

Jim

ah, well thanks. still -- sad that I have to hear it from a soon-to-be-retired pilot on an internet message board, instead of from a furlough admin update.

They should have given that job to Courtney B. He's more passionate about the furloughed pilots from his J4J position at PSA than any of the pilots currently flying at US.

ah, well thanks. still -- sad that I have to hear it from a soon-to-be-retired pilot on an internet message board, instead of from a furlough admin update.

They should have given that job to Courtney B. He's more passionate about the furloughed pilots from his J4J position at PSA than any of the pilots currently flying at US.

We are all looking to the day when all of the guys and gals are returned. Things are still fresh with the 190 and hopefully they will look at your solution. The staffing of the system is beyond our control since they are moving equipment in and out. Hopefully we will expand by getting rid of the associate carriers and do the work ourselves and also expand into the markets that need served.