Emb 190's

Clr2lnd

Jul 13, 2003
I am curious about the 90 seaters that Jetblue has ordered (Air Canada just announced an order as well). Has the company announced any payscales for pilots/flight attendants? The reason I ask is because this airplane along with the 70 seat EMB 170 will be a major growth area for all medium haul flying for the forseeable future. These airplanes will be flown by regionals as well before its all said and done. What management team would pay mainline rates to fly these planes when regional pilots at CHQ and Mesa have already agreed to payrates to fly these planes that are slightly ($3-$10) above 50 seat payrates (Mesa agreed to less). How can Jetblue or anyone for that matter compete with payscales like this? Just want to see if Jetblue has a different idea on this.

I think jetBlue will have 100 seats on the 190. F/A payrates will probably be the same as the A320 rates since they will all be on the same seniority list and will be qualified on both aircraft. I understand that they will be able to bid trips on either aircraft type. New hire pay rates are currently $20 per hour for the first 70 hours and $30 an hour for every hour you fly over 70. Not sure if there are monthly max's for number of hours flown but I dont think so unless there is a FAA mandated max

FAA mandated max for jets is 100 hours/month, I believe. JBLU doesn't need to worry about scope clauses, but most of the others can't go above 70 seats for regionals and I think only U and DAL can go that high, so mainline pilots would have to fly them. Still, with an A318 weighing 10 tons more than a e-190, the savings in fuel might cover any differential.