Embarrassed Pass Rider

primowon

Feb 23, 2004
I was a pass rider last week out of ORD. It was a day after storms in the area resulted in canceled flights. There were two lines at check-in: one for the misconnects, and one for e-ticket kiosks. The line for the misconnects was about 80 deep. It had one person working it. She took at least 15 minutes per passenger. The result was people in that line again missing their proposed flights, as their departure time came and went. I stood in that line for over 2 hours never to get even half way through. The kiosk line had 5 people working it. At a given time all but one disappeared as it was break time! They were gone for about 1/2 hour, this with still at least 80 people in line needing service for bag tags after e-check in! Unbelievable.

I eventually made it to PHL for a connecting flight to CLT. It too was a zoo. The agent at the gate had a line 30 deep. The guy had dread locks and looked like he was about to fall asleep at any minute he moved so slow. At one point he just walked off for 15 minutes without explanation, leaving everyone standing there dumbfounded.

You can imagine the degrogatory remarks about USAirways made in both cases. If I could have offered an explanation, I would have. But none was apparent for such poor customer service.

The really sad part was the sentiment expressed by many - that this happened all the time, and this would be the last time they flew U. I guess when you reduce salaries you get what you pay for.

I was a pass rider last week out of ORD. It was a day after storms in the area resulted in canceled flights. There were two lines at check-in: one for the misconnects, and one for e-ticket kiosks. The line for the misconnects was about 80 deep. It had one person working it. She took at least 15 minutes per passenger. The result was people in that line again missing their proposed flights, as their departure time came and went. I stood in that line for over 2 hours never to get even half way through. The kiosk line had 5 people working it. At a given time all but one disappeared as it was break time! They were gone for about 1/2 hour, this with still at least 80 people in line needing service for bag tags after e-check in! Unbelievable.

I eventually made it to PHL for a connecting flight to CLT. It too was a zoo. The agent at the gate had a line 30 deep. The guy had dread locks and looked like he was about to fall asleep at any minute he moved so slow. At one point he just walked off for 15 minutes without explanation, leaving everyone standing there dumbfounded.

You can imagine the degrogatory remarks about USAirways made in both cases. If I could have offered an explanation, I would have. But none was apparent for such poor customer service.

The really sad part was the sentiment expressed by many - that this happened all the time, and this would be the last time they flew U. I guess when you reduce salaries you get what you pay for.
The problem here is lack of accountability. These employees get away with their lack of "customer" service because no-one is there to supervise them. Even the supervisors need supervising.( In customer service that is.)

This company can not, even if it tried, to take care of their own people much less the customers. And, it shows everyday, from poor service, both on the ground, and in flight, to Dougie's letter regarding the Change of Contol.

just walked off for 15 minutes without explanation, leaving everyone standing there dumbfounded.

Have to say from first hand experience that those gate agents get beat up pretty bad, especially during crummy weather in Philly. May have had a pretty good reason to walk off for 15min....not uncommon with the staffing issues to have an agent working a number of gates. You know how pissed off passengers can get after a long flight arriving at the gate to find no jetway operator. Used to staff most gates with two agents, now only one...saves $$$ but at what cost.

Not enough money to pay me to be an agent working in Philly in that enviroment. Most are just fed up.

it is time for one hell of a regime change at the top mgmt levels that kind of service is unexcusable and i for one think that the entire top level idiots must be fired and get someone of the likes of Gordon Bethune and Kelly of SWA type.

The problem here is lack of accountability. These employees get away with their lack of "customer" service because no-one is there to supervise them. Even the supervisors need supervising.( In customer service that is.)
You guy’s (acmech) better get you’re own house in order with the rip vanwinkels ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
We had a mechanical the other day the mechanic left for about 15 minutes to go to the bathroom the nerve of him

I would like to know where these employees get the impression they can get away with this kind of behavior.
Well, because they can.

At the pay rates being offered for what is a difficult position, if management fires a person like this, who are they going to replace him with?

At these rates, it is not likely the next person standing in line for the job -- willing to put up with this much B.S. for this little pay -- will be any better.

Latest posts