Employee Bullshiten Nov 29 2005

featheroleather

Advanced
Aug 9, 2004
:shock: EMPLOYEE Q AND A

November 29, 2005

The National Mediation Board (NMB) has scheduled a final bargaining session between CO and the International Association of Machinists (IAM) representing CO flight attendants, for Dec. 7 and 8 in the offices of the NMB in Washington, D.C. Employees have asked a number of questions about the negotiations since CO released Employee Bulletin No. 26 and posted the “Industry Update and Wage and Benefit Comparisons†on the intranet. This Q and A answers employees’ most frequently asked questions about the talks.

What happens if an agreement is reached in the final round of meetings on

Dec. 7 and 8?

CO expects that the IAM would schedule information meetings during December and continue meetings into January because of the holiday period, and that flight attendants would have the opportunity to vote on the agreement sometime in January. However, the exact voting schedule and method of voting would be determined by the IAM.

What happens if no agreement is reached in the final round of meetings on

Dec. 7 and 8?

The consequences for everybody would be worse, as the NMB has stated it could declare that the negotiations are at an impasse if no agreement is reached on Dec. 7 and 8.

Under the Railway Labor Act, if the NMB concludes that the parties are at an impasse and either party rejects arbitration, then the parties enter a 30-day cooling off period.

At the end of this period, CO and the IAM can exercise “self-help.†This means that the company would implement needed wage and benefit reductions, and flight attendants would be able to strike. To compensate for the enormous cost associated with related schedule reductions and the customer “book away†factor in fear of a strike, the implemented pay and benefit reductions would have to be larger than what the company is currently seeking.

CO has no desire to go down this destructive and divisive path. A confrontation would be bad for every employee in the company.

Why can’t CO and the IAM just freeze the current agreement?

That is not an option. CO needs the full $500 million in wage and benefit reductions. The company continues to face significant challenges to its survival, including high fuel prices, a weak domestic fare environment, continued growth of low cost competitors and the pressure caused by other airlines lowering costs in bankruptcy.

Since oil prices have recently declined, why do flight attendants still have to give?

While oil prices are lower than they were a month ago, today’s oil prices are significantly higher than when CO began seeking employee wage and benefit reductions last year. When CO announced the need for pay and benefit reductions on Nov. 18, 2004, the price per barrel of crude oil was $46.22. When the tentative agreements were reached on Feb. 28, 2005, it was at $51.75 per barrel. As of Nov. 28, 2005, crude was selling at $57.36 per barrel.

Why the push to complete these negotiations now?

Over the past year, CO, the flight attendants and their union have worked together to understand the issues and explore every item thoroughly. Many flight attendants have told the company they understand the need for reductions and want to get this deal done.

CO is fortunate that the other work groups elected to move forward and ratify their reductions earlier this year, permitting CO to avoid a crisis and post modest profits in the second and third quarters.

However, the company continues to face significant challenges to its survival. CO lost a significant amount in the first quarter, expects to post a significant loss in the fourth quarter (the company posted an approximate $115 million loss in October alone) and expects to lose a significant amount for the full year 2005.

These losses cannot continue if the company is to survive. CO needs to get the necessary reductions from flight attendants and resolve the open issues so that everyone can work together in the new year :down: :down: :down: :down: CAL awarded stock

Below is the breakdown of total stock distribution between now and 2007. They have 3 dates that are in play.
They get different numbers of shares as of these dates if they hit the following targets.

By 6/30/05 the stock must have stayed above 17.4775 a share for 20 consecutive days.
By 3/31/06 the stock must have stayed above 20.4775 a share for 20 consecutive days.
By 12/31/07 the stock must have stayed above 22.4775 a share for 20 consecutive days.

This means if the stock stays above 22.475 for 20 consecutive days anytime before 12/31/07 they get their total awards. Here are the individual spoils.

Bethune $4,844,375 :shock:
Campbell $3,056,625
McCoy $2,642,075 :eek:
Compton $2,642,075
Cox $2,037,750
Erwin $2,642,075
Misner $2,642,075
Moran $2,037,750
Smisek $6,605,187
Walker $2,037,750
Grizzle $2,642,075
Ladderman $2,642,075
Marzetta $2,642,075
Kenny $660,518
Vogel $2,642,075
KELLNER $10,188,750 :shock:

GRAND TOTAL= $49,963,230 :down:

Working together works for some folks.

If you had gone on and gotten a higher degree, you too could be "working together" for some of these "spoils" :up:

Get you pen out and start applying to the colleges, golf won't get you the stock options. A higher degree will. Bethune has a Bachelor of Science from Abilene Christian University and a Business Management Degree from Harvard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Bethune
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Thanks, U know i'm so glad somebody FINALLY said it. I left flying after 25 years, before i left i got my Masters and now close to my Phd. Im so So very happy i got out. Its unfortunate but airline workers are service workers and this is the grim reality. In the "real world" you ARE compensated for degrees and higher education. Think its time for my brothers and sisters to wake up to this reality. Its just the way it is and its time for everyone to get over it. If u want stock options, high pay, etc.. get EDUCATED!!! Its never to late...
Best of luck to CO f/as and their negotiations. Peace

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Thanks, U know i'm so glad somebody FINALLY said it. I left flying after 25 years, before i left i got my Masters and now close to my Phd. Im so So very happy i got out. Its unfortunate but airline workers are service workers and this is the grim reality. In the "real world" you ARE compensated for degrees and higher education. Think its time for my brothers and sisters to wake up to this reality. Its just the way it is and its time for everyone to get over it. If u want stock options, high pay, etc.. get EDUCATED!!! Its never to late...
Best of luck to CO f/as and their negotiations. Peace

Bonus payments? What happened to "that is your job which you are already well compensated"? Masters degrees are like belly buttons...everyone has one these days. Doesn't always up the compensation package.

Get you pen out and start applying to the colleges, golf won't get you the stock options. A higher degree will. Bethune has a Bachelor of Science from Abilene Christian University and a Business Management Degree from Harvard.

I stand corrected. My point really was that it is ridiculous for so many executives(some who are no longer working for the airline) to line their pockets at the expense of others, while at the same time crying poverty.

Not to side with anyone person or group, but everyone negotiates the best deal they can from the person who empties the trash cans to the one running the company. So, no one is lining their pockets at the expense of others. If I wanted to make more I would negotiate for it or go do something that would move my pay grade up (i.e. education). Education doesn't have to be formal class work at a University. It could be as simple as learning how to run a different piece of machinery. We all make choices and you can blame anyone else for the choice you make.

As for "crying poverty", it's human nature to want more. I'll bet we have all cried poverty at one time or another. It's the old saying "The more you make, the more you spend" :up: