Engine Fire on AA Flt 1400!

ST. LOUIS, Sept 28 (Reuters) - A fire in one of two engines on a Chicago-bound American Airlines (AMR.N: Quote, Profile, Research) MD-80 jet forced the plane to return to St. Louis' airport on Friday, officials said.

None of the 137 passengers and five crew members on board was injured, an airline spokesman said.

Flight 1400, bound for Chicago's O'Hare International Airport, took off at 2:12 p.m. EDT, and was back on the ground within 30 minutes, American Airlines spokesman Mary Frances Fagan said.

"It had a left-hand engine fire that occurred after take-off. The aircraft returned to Lambert International safely. No one was hurt, and the passengers were evacuated on stairs," Fagan said.

Firefighters put out a small fire in the engine after the plane landed, Lambert spokesman Jeff Lea said.

I heard recently that our MD-80's were one in flight shutdown from a serious look at grounding the fleet by the FAA. I wonder if this event has pushed the envelope.

interesting to note that this is the same tail # that landed at JFK a few years ago without nose ear..... not that it is in any way related of course, just a wierd similarity.

I was in the terminal today when it landed. The whole incident was about as interesting as watching paint dry. The funny part was the report on CNN. They had a helicopter circling the area. As the passengers were coming down the stairs to the bus, the CNN reporter very solemnly said, "The passengers are being deported now."

(That'll teach 'em. You get on an AA plane that sets on fire, you have to leave the country immediately. :lol: )

I overheard my FO talking with a mechanic about it. I didn't hear what they said was the cause, but I heard the FO say, "I wouldn't want to be the last signature in that logbook." Mechanic's response was something like "Boy, don't you know it."

I overheard my FO talking with a mechanic about it. I didn't hear what they said was the cause, but I heard the FO say, "I wouldn't want to be the last signature in that logbook." Mechanic's response was something like "Boy, don't you know it."

Fortunately we have AMTs that take pride in our craft and will sign this logbook ONLY when we say it is safe. :up:

I have no doubt that even though the MD-80's are considered old by some standards that they are well maintained by some of the best professionals in the biz, I was just wondering if this is something that just can happen from time to time like a bird, or just a random mechanical failure no matter how well maintained.

There is some pending and investigatory issue with the Pratt & Whitney engines.

I will dig a little deeper next week and see if I can obtain more details.

There are alot of current dynamics and issues within the heavy overhaul of these engines.

At some point an individual must weigh exposing what he/she knows to be a troubling matter versus being terminated for too much truth being exposed on a public forum.

Myself, I would rather be around to see the removal of the TWU from AA property than to discuss safety matters related to the Pratt & Whitney MD-80 Engines.

Interesting note:

Pratt engines are not an option on the A380 and B787.
Sup wid dat?
B) UT

I checked today to see if I worked that aircraft. :unsure: :unsure: Whew!! Looks like the engine starter is the possible malfunction. It has some history on the engine start valve. Replaced several times, and ops checked several times. In DECS type KVA30/454/80 for a 30 day history and more detail on the engine starting system.

Latest posts