engine overhaul

cpaflyer

Mar 29, 2008
Hi all, first time post.....

I bought a piper navajo which had not flown in 11 years. Flew a ferry flight and since then ben sitting in my hangar. Total time on engines is About 4400 hours, times since overhaul are 1400 and 1600 hours on engines and about 200 since top overhauls on both. what should i be worried about? if money were not an obstacle, i would have both engines overhauled, but at 35K each, i don't have 70K sitting around. the engines are lycoming tio 540s. by the way i am someone who flies maybe 40 hours a year so getting to TBO of 1800 would take me at least 3 years from here.

As far as overhauls go...... can an a&p overhaul an engine? i don't understand why the cost of an overhaul is so high. is it not just a question of taking the engine apart and putting it back together again.

Thanks in advance,

cpaflyer

I'll take a stab at it.

can an a&p overhaul an engine?
Yes, if he is attached to a certified FAA repair station. Actually, you only need a "P".

The repair station has very expensive inpection equipment and tools. Things you will never find in a Home Depot. He will need NIST traceable measuring devices, a quality record keeping system and of course, liability insurance. The overhead is huge. You also pay for the mechanic's experience. Parts alone are expensive. We havn't even touched specific chemicals, proper storage and waste disposal costs.

It is not simply a matter of taking it apart and reassembling. Some componants have to be replaced. Others have to be inpected to see if they are reusable-to save you money. If not, they have to be replaced. Those engines are old. An overhaul facility will know from experience what will need to be done.

You want to protect yourself, your family and your asset? Start saving money and do this right. Airplanes are not toys. Flight is not forgiving.

can an a&p overhaul an engine?
Yes, if he is attached to a certified FAA repair station. Actually, you only need a "P".

I stand corrected. Someone wih a powerplant &IA can perform a field engine overhaul according to this article:

http://www.russellw.com/planes/cruisemaste...foroverhaul.htm

But it is risky-as the writer indicates. This was a cool article. I think you will enjoy the read. Keep in mind though, there are not many mechanics who would particpiate in something like this. One mistake and an engine could be severely damaged during the break in run. Good luck with you decision.