Event Capacity

Rico

Veteran
Jun 8, 2004
Bowling for Customers

US Airways has added more than 3,300 seats into the Jacksonville market starting today through next Tuesday in anticipation of heavy travel from the Northeast to the Florida city for Super Bowl XXXIX.

The Philadelphia Eagles will match up with the New England Patriots in the football classic. The capacity boost represents a 34 percent increase year over year, with 1,600 of those seats between Philadelphia and Jacksonville alone.

Compared to last week’s schedule the increase amounts to 13 percent. Part of the increase comes from two special sections each from Jacksonville to both Philadelphia and Boston on Monday, the day after the game.

In addition, 25 mainline jet departures from Charlotte and Philadelphia were upgraded to larger equipment during the period, and four Jacksonville-Charlotte US Airways Express departures were upgraded to mainline jets for travel next Monday and Tuesday. Flights between Reagan Washington National and Jacksonville had been upgraded to mainline equipment in November as part of the company’s Transformation Plan.
IMO there are a lot of opportunities for this sort of thing to occur, times when it is easy to sell and fill seats...

Yearly events that come to mind are New Years in New York or Mardi Gras in New Orleans... Any other ideas...?

Rico said:
IMO there are a lot of opportunities for this sort of thing to occur, times when it is easy to sell and fill seats...

Yearly events that come to mind are New Years in New York or Mardi Gras in New Orleans... Any other ideas...?
[post="244999"][/post]​

Transporting furloughed airline employees? A pretty regular event now.

There's lots of them....

Kentucky Derby, Masters, ACC tournament, World Series, etc.

After talking myself blue in the face to the folks in resource planning since the merger, they finally added seats to the Furniture Market last fall - hope it happens again in the Spring.

Jim

Yeah Jim, that is a couple of great examples

I remember the loads into GSO around that event, all business fares too. I remember UAl and DAL would swap out to 757's.

Hope the new marketing leadership will be open to such, with this Super Bowl adjustment as an example.

Here's the funny thing about the JAX upgrade:

A quick check of flights JAX-BOS on Monday shows EVERY OPTION being sold out. You'd think the idiots in CCY would put a 767 in JAX on Monday, or maybe even gauge fans a last minute fare in order to pay a PHW crew to fly JAX-PHL on the 330. But c'mon! Let AA, DL, and even CO put the heavy's there instead.

Incompetence at its best.

Another sports venue is Nascar auto racing. Would it not be a hoot to have a "nascar" fare from most cities to where ever the next race is. A schedule from major cities every race sunday to connect with the "Nascar Shuttle" in CLT. Offer a video of the last weeks race to fill time. Hook up with a ground transportation company to take them to the track and bring them back to airport.

It would be same day travel, on a weekend when planes would be avail. There would no baggage except carry on. Make the ticket a fly it or flush it. Just like the ticket to the race. Offer a name change for $100 only and reissues would be minimal. Just a thought.

I just don't get it. With fleet commonality a stated goal of managment for the purpose of 'flexibility', I haven't seen any 'flexing' happen at all.
You have three sizes of airbus, small to large, and two sizes of 737. Also, two sizes of bigger aircraft, 75 and 767. How often do equipment changes occur due to increased or decreased pax loads? Rarely, if ever, because mx drives the airplanes around the system schedule. This needs to stop.
Why not have a system in place that looks at bookings a day or two out and devises an aircraft routing schedule that maximizes revenue? No aircraft subs are necessary (except during special events), staying withing aircraft types. Just think, if, if a large group oversold a flight normally serviced by a 319, a 320 or 321 could be put on the sched instead, costing very little and generating much more. Same with 737s. Book popular destinations to -400 capacity, and see what happens to revenue. Instead of giving away free tickets for denied boardings (further eroding revenue), you could maximize sales and accomodate the pax.

Just a suggestion, no need to renumerate me - this ones on the house.

And if I could think of this, what can't the smart people in brain central?

Well at least they tried something!

Sad to see that the offical airline of the Philadelphia Eagles (U) did not get to fly them to JAX, but rather they stuck with their NWA plane :down:

ISP -

US has done a good job of maximizing seats out of JAX after the SuperBowl, while not incurring additional expenses. Where there was a 733 scheduled, it is now a 734. Where there was an A319 schedule there is now an A321. Availability displays are not always accurate with the equipment type being used. We are also operating several extra sections to accomodate customers returning from the SuperBowl.

To try and utilize an A330 in/out of JAX would be very difficult. JAX does not have the proper ground support equipment to handle the aircraft. The cost of moving the equipment to JAX for one day would offset any potential revenue/profit.

We have done the same type of thing for MSY and Mardi-Gras.

Pylit said:
And if I could think of this, what can't the smart people in brain central?
[post="245037"][/post]​
Thinking about it is much easier than implementing it. That's not to say that it cannot be done, but it's much more complex than your description would suggest.

US did not have the equipment in IAH to handle the 767 that the Panthers flew on to get to last year's Super Bowl, they rented it for the flight and flight out, the same when they flew out some college team to PHX with a 767 last month.

For a charter you can lease the ground handiling equipment which just be the K-Loader and some Pod Carriers and a tow bar, the company does it all the time when a widebody is used in city that normally does not see widebody service.

The problem with these kinds of opportunities is this: The airline has to add roundtrip capacity... The demand is one-way. For example. Prior to the Superbowl, there will be tons to demand to JAX, but little from JAX. After the SuperBowl, there will be lots of demand out of JAX, but less to JAX. But, you have to add roundtrips before and after the game... Thus, for every one extra roundtrip seat you sell, you have to add two roundtrip seats. That means the extra capacity will have a load factor of about 50%... And the last time I checked, this company cannot make money with load factors at 75%.

Would IAH, PHX or JAX have the necessary ground equipment for an A330 to rent? 757's and 767's fly in and out of PHX and IAH all the time. How many A330's ever fly in/out of those stations?

Also, is the K-loader for a 767 compatable with the A330?

And if getting the proper equipment to JAX were a possiblibty, where would we get the airplane? Most of the A330's are dedicated to the European operation, with the exception of the PHL-SJU-PHL trip.

funguy2 said:
The problem with these kinds of opportunities is this: The airline has to add roundtrip capacity... The demand is one-way.
[post="245119"][/post]​

And that's the argument I always got from resource planning when discussing extra capacity during the Furniture Market.

Especially for 1 day events, the argument has some merit. But the flip side is potential yield. Can you charge enough for the seats (on average) to offset the cost of providing more seats, many of which are empty one way....

Don't know, but until recently U has never tried it.

Jim

Latest posts