Every man has his price.

The Dissident

Senior
Contributor
Dec 21, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Dear Brothers and Sisters:
The news that the concessions, that can be best described as 'Gross Overkill,' were accepted by a very narrow margin. No doubt devastating to at least the 96% of M&E and XX% of Stores members of our Local, who, despite the risks that were emphasized emphatically by our International and their experts, voted to take on the fight and vote NO. For many, this will be the last straw and seeking employment outside of AA will be a better option than to continue to work for an employer that demands the 'Best' but pays the 'Least.' For those who plan to remain, the question is: what’s next?
I realize that many of you are signing cards for either the IBT or AMFA to replace the TWU. We have seen many drives in the past. As an Officer and your representative to the TWU, my job is to try and make this organization serve your interests. That is what I plan to do. I can say that I’m not alone. Leaders of the five (5) cornerstone cities and AFW have been discussing changes we feel are necessary for this organization to best serve its members in the future.
I recognize what we have is a deeply flawed organization. The results speak for themselves. Despite my efforts, as it currently stands, I have not been able to make this organization serve our interests. Being paid much less than our non-union peers in the industry is not in our best interests. But, I also recognize, within this organization as a whole, there are several successful TWU Locals that serve their members well. We see TWU Local 556 at Southwest getting their members an industry-leading contract. Here in New York we have Local 100, who a few short years ago resisted the “concessions for jobs” threat and maintained wages, even though the MTA laid off many workers because TWU Local 100 refused to give away things they bargained for. Those who were laid off eventually were all called back. Those are just a few examples where TWU members are very well served. There are others. We need to try and model the AATD for M&R along the same line as the successful SWA Local 556 and Local 100 models.
The key difference between those successful models and what we currently have at AA is that the contracts belong to the Locals. All the members of the contract are in one autonomous Local. Everyone with authority is accountable to the members of the Local. There is a single leader elected by the members who administers the contract. While consolidation into one Local is just one of the options discussed, this would likely mean the end of Local 562. Considering what we currently have is (without a doubt) broken, it’s something we must be open to. Some form of consolidation is necessary. Right now our contract is split up over a dozen different Locals. The majority of Line Maintenance is in the Five Cornerstone Locals of 561, 562, 563, 564 and 565. With the current structure, even with Local 567 with us, we are still a minority on the negotiating committee. Under the current structure, we could have more Fleet Service Presidents voting than Mechanic Presidents on the content of a proposed mechanic contract.
To our Stores members, I’m not ignoring you. It’s just that as long as Maintenance is screwed, up you will continue to suffer as well. If we fix Maintenance, we will have fixed Stores as well. What I’m asking of you is to support our efforts to bring change to the AA/TWU M&R (including Stores) structure by appealing directly to International President Jim Little and the IEC (International Executive Council). Encourage them to be open to meeting with the leaders you put in place and to not fall into the trap of considering criticism to be an attack. When you pay union dues and earn considerably less than industry average, something is wrong. They can either meet with us to fix what’s wrong or risk losing us entirely. I believe we all realize, including Jim Little and the IEC, changes are necessary. Hopefully, they will realize that loyalty is no substitute for competency, and make changes accordingly. Even if it impacts those who are loyal supporters of the status quo. Even if you’ve given up on the TWU and have decided to try and get another organization in place, I ask, ‘what do you have to lose,' by trying to bring about change from within?
Fraternally,

Bob Owens
President Local 562

The last line is the tell,more change from within bull. So Bob, what was the payoff?

Bob Owens,

What is the timeline for these changes that you and the five cornerstone cities, including AFW, want? It's been the same song and dance since 2003! I am also disappointed with the twu cliche "Change from Within" you used to end your letter.

If your name wasn't attached to this letter I'd say you were running for a twu int. spot, but reading all of your past letters and posts, I don't know what to think.

As long as Bob Owens continues to attack the International and other locals he has no credibility. When you are in a Union you are suppose to be one!!! Now He wants to splinter the Membership even further.

I also suspect Bob is trying to justify his latest actions so as not to lose his extra $20,000 a year income he receives from the TWU membership!!!.

If Bob really wants change their is an avenue available. And yes, the TWU convention is next year.

In Solidarity,

CIO

Reactions: 1 person
As long as Bob Owens continues to attack the International and other locals he has no credibility. When you are in a Union you are suppose to be one!!! Now He wants to splinter the Membership even further.

I also suspect Bob is trying to justify his latest actions so as not to lose his extra $20,000 a year income he receives from the TWU membership!!!.

If Bob really wants change their is an avenue available. And yes, the TWU convention is next year.

In Solidarity,

CIO

"Stand as one" as long as we all do what Tulsa, or International figures that dont have to live under the terms, says you mean right?

Are you one of the recipients of Dons spots?

On the line we make anywhere from $20,000 to $50,000 less per year than mechanics who have the same licences, same qualifications and same responsibilities as us. Some are even Non-union and they make that much more than us, we voted 75% against this deal and had it imposed on us by a vote where the majority came out of Tulsa. I didnt put the membership into 20 different locals and what I'd like to see is consolidation. I dont think its right that the way its set up now there could be more Presidents from Fleet Service voting on a mechanics contract than mechanics. True most of them didnt bother but they could if they needed to and thats not right. If Tulsa doesnt want to do it then fine, let them stay on their own and get their own book as well.

With much lower pay and inferior benefits wheres the "union advantage" for us on the line?

Are you saying that in between Conventions that we shouldnt attempt to make any changes in the way the AA ATD is structured? If so why not?

As far as credibility do you really think you have any? I have credibility where its important to me-my peers.

Bob Owens

You can no sooner change the TWU than anyone else can.

Your endorsement of this pathetic Union is beyond belief.

The TWU has given you Seperate Locals, Self Determintation, only to be manipulated into the outcome the International Desires. What are they offering you now? Another grand plan no doubt. Are you going to be appointed International President in exchange for this endorsement?

You can keep drinking that change from within Kool-Aid all you want.

Whatever respect has been earned will be removed much faster than you earned it.

My respect for you just dropped considerably.

Why don't you go ahead and covert to a Teamster and get yourself a Business Agent job?
At least they will let you negotiate. The rest of us be damned. You will be happy though.

What did they do to fear your ass into such a sad public display?

I smell a RAT and Little has bought you off with some idea of change.
I will chalk you up as just another sellout. Just great Bob!

AA has already made the decision to reduce the overhaul majority, and Little has hoodwinked you offering something that was really done by this Chapter 11 filing. I am shocked you are that damn gullible. You are going to be the waterboy, for another TWU farce. Congrats.

Did Jim Little start his own " Vote of No Confidence" petition so he could resign/RETIRE? If so, from this letter, it seems like Bob may be the chosen one. Did Chuck resign as VP of 562? Pieces are falling into place.

Looks like good ol Bootlicking Bob is going to he be the new heir appearent for a twu international spot.

They don't trust him that much, and maybe we shouldn't either.

They are just going to cater to his ideas and make it appear he changed the TWU. Roger Touisaant (sp?) already showed what happens. But gullible Bob, he is "different" than the other agents of change before him. Just as they all believe. What a revelation this one will be.

When in fact, the TWU was just changed by AA Management via an 1113 filing in Bankruptcy Court.

Of course Little is open to change now. Everything about the TWU's control just changed. How can the "roll call" vote structure work now that Tulsa will be deicmated by AA Management? The TWU is three steps ahead of Bob, and have their new man, to use as a tool.

Why not find a stooley and make it look like it was a TWU idea? Looks like is Bob Owens is the perfect specimen.

The TWU's fear of being replaced by AMFA has no boundries. And they should be afraid.

Reactions: 2 people
Bob Owens,

What is the timeline for these changes that you and the five cornerstone cities, including AFW, want? It's been the same song and dance since 2003! I am also disappointed with the twu cliche "Change from Within" you used to end your letter.

If your name wasn't attached to this letter I'd say you were running for a twu int. spot, but reading all of your past letters and posts, I don't know what to think.

Its been the same song and dance for a lot longer than that. What you have there was a draft, not sure how that got out, the final version is on the 562 website.

Its been the same song and dance for a lot longer than that. What you have there was a draft, not sure how that got out, the final version is on the 562 website.

Everytime they screw us into the ground they allow some form of change.

And only because they give you the input, you once again buy into that same death trap.
Unreal. I thought you were smarter than that. Gullible Bob, that is your new nick name.

The Constitution is still in place, you have changed nothing but my opinion of you....period.

The news that the concessions, that can be best described as 'Gross Overkill,' were accepted by a very narrow margin. No doubt devastating to at least the 96% of M&E and XX% of Stores members of our Local, who, despite the risks that were emphasized emphatically by our International and their experts, voted to take on the fight and vote NO. For many, this will be the last straw and seeking employment outside of AA will be a better option than to continue to work for an employer that demands the 'Best' but pays the 'Least.' For those who plan to remain, the question is: what’s next?
I realize that many of you are signing cards for either the IBT or AMFA to replace the TWU. We have seen many drives in the past. As an Officer and your representative to the TWU, my job is to try and make this organization serve your interests. That is what I plan to do. I can say that I’m not alone. Leaders of the five (5) cornerstone cities and AFW have been discussing changes we feel are necessary for this organization to best serve its members in the future.
I recognize what we have is a deeply flawed organization. The results speak for themselves. Despite my efforts, as it currently stands, I have not been able to make this organization serve our interests. Being paid much less than our non-union peers in the industry is not in our best interests. But, I also recognize, within this organization as a whole, there are several successful TWU Locals that serve their members well. We see TWU Local 556 at Southwest getting their members an industry-leading contract. Here in New York we have Local 100, who a few short years ago resisted the “concessions for jobs” threat and maintained wages, even though the MTA laid off many workers because TWU Local 100 refused to give away things they bargained for. Those who were laid off eventually were all called back. Those are just a few examples where TWU members are very well served. There are others. We need to try and model the AATD for M&R along the same line as the successful SWA Local 556 and Local 100 models.
The key difference between those successful models and what we currently have at AA is that the contracts belong to the Locals. All the members of the contract are in one autonomous Local. Everyone with authority is accountable to the members of the Local. There is a single leader elected by the members who administers the contract. While consolidation into one Local is just one of the options discussed, this would likely mean the end of Local 562. Considering what we currently have is (without a doubt) broken, it’s something we must be open to. Some form of consolidation is necessary. Right now our contract is split up over a dozen different Locals. The majority of Line Maintenance is in the Five Cornerstone Locals of 561, 562, 563, 564 and 565. With the current structure, even with Local 567 with us, we are still a minority on the negotiating committee. Under the current structure, we could have more Fleet Service Presidents voting than Mechanic Presidents on the content of a proposed mechanic contract.
To our Stores members, I’m not ignoring you. It’s just that as long as Maintenance is screwed, up you will continue to suffer as well. If we fix Maintenance, we will have fixed Stores as well. What I’m asking of you is to support our efforts to bring change to the AA/TWU M&R (including Stores) structure by appealing directly to International President Jim Little and the IEC (International Executive Council). Encourage them to be open to meeting with the leaders you put in place and to not fall into the trap of considering criticism to be an attack. When you pay union dues and earn considerably less than industry average, something is wrong. They can either meet with us to fix what’Bob Owens
Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:10 PM
Veteran​
Registered Member​

Might be a good time to start another card drive.

The International has gone back to their old ways. During the negotiations in 2000 they let out information because thats what AMFA was doing, now that they feel the AMFA threat is gone they are going back to their heavy handed dictatorial tactics of sequestering 21 local leaders, on company property, then steering them to a predetermined conclusion while making them believe that they actually came to that conclusion through bargaining, then make those people go back and sell yet another inferior deal to their members.

To our Stores members, I’m not ignoring you. It’s just that as long as Maintenance is screwed, up you will continue to suffer as well. If we fix Maintenance, we will have fixed Stores as well. What I’m asking of you is to support our efforts to bring change to the AA/TWU M&R (including Stores) structure by appealing directly to International President Jim Little and the IEC (International Executive Council). Encourage them to be open to meeting with the leaders you put in place and to not fall into the trap of considering criticism to be an attack. When you pay union dues and earn considerably less than industry average, something is wrong. They can either meet with us to fix what’[url=""%5D%5B/url%5Ds wrong or risk losing us entirely. I believe we all realize, including Jim Little and the IEC, changes are necessary. Hopefully, they will realize that loyalty is no substitute for competency, and make changes accordingly. Even if it impacts those who are loyal supporters of the status quo. Even if you’ve given up on the TWU and have decided to try and get another organization in place, I ask, ‘what do you have to lose,' by trying to bring about change from within?
Fraternally,

Bob Owens
President Local 562

The last line is the tell,more change from within bull. So Bob, what was the payoff?

No payoff, Just tell me what did we end up with after the 2003 drive? The one in the 90s, the ones from the 80s? If it was up to my peers in the Northeast AMFA would have been in back in the 1960s. No promises no deals made, just a logical honest approach for the members, I believe nearly all my peers have signed cards, many for both the IBT and AMFA, some have told me that no matter who we end up with they hope I will continue to be their rep, and I probably would, well if this falls through like so many others wouldnt it make sense for us to try and address some of the issues? As you guys sit there in Tulsa you can afford to be stuck with the status quo and take an all or nothing position, my peers cant. It may be too late anyway but as long as they pay me to be here thats what I'm going to do, I think my members expect nothing less than to try and make sure whatever happens, and the outcome is in the hands of the same people who just voted in this peice of crap, that I do whatever I can where I can to try and make some sort of improvement. Whether its possible or not time will tell.

Reactions: 4 people
No payoff, Just tell me what did we end up with after the 2003 drive? The one in the 90s, the ones from the 80s? No promises no deals made, just a logical approach for the members, I believe nearly all my peers have signed cards, many for both the IBT and AMFA, some have told me that no matter who we get they hope I will continue to be their rep, and I probably would, well if this falls through like so many others wouldnt it make sense for us to try and adress some of the issues? As you guys sit there in Tulsa you can afford to be stuck with the status quo and take an all or nothing position, we cant.

I dont talk to collaborators!