Experts: Airline May Sell Express Since Pact

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
See Story

PSA, CRJ-200/700 aircraft/delivery positions, and most likely Allegheny/Piedmont will be sold.

Then if necessary, MDA, some excess PHL gates, Shuttle dedicated assets, and the LGA terminal could be sold, however, the intent is to keep the Shuttle operation/LGA terminal intact. Recently the LGA Station Manager provided a power point presentation to senior management and a board member on ways to improve the facility, which indicated the company is currently looking at ways to improve the New York operation.

In addition, there have been discussions with the Port Authority of NY and NJ about building a terminal extension from LGA gate 1 towards the hanger just to the west of the terminal, but those discussions are now on hold. Moreover, we could see JFK opened as a mainline city to feed Star Alliance partners and to have MDA fly current JetBlue routes.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

It is interesting that CCY is having problems deciding what to do with the so-called UQ/EN merger. No news has come from mgmnt. Rumors are flying that the merge is off and now it will be a UQ liquidation. It will be interesting to see how it plays out in the end. I feel bad for the folks at PSA and Piedmont as they dont know what their fate is in the long term. At least the UQ employees are hitting the job market and making necessary changes for the future. Best luck to all! :rolleyes:

USA320Pilot said:
Shuttle dedicated assets, and the LGA terminal could be sold, however, the intent is to keep the Shuttle operation/LGA terminal intact. Recently the LGA Station Manager provided a power point presentation to senior management and a board member on ways to improve the facility, which indicated the company is currently looking at ways to improve the New York operation.
Respectfully,
USA320Pilot
You can't sell things you don't own!

700UW,

I thought LGA terminal was owned by Continental Airlines and leased to US Airways. Maybe Chip means when he says "sold" is sell the rights to own the lease? I don't really get that part either.

well he is nothing more then the fabricator of the facts, CAL does own the terminal and there is no more seperate shuttle it is mainline, but he never lets the real truth or facts get in his slant of the issues.

The ever changing "going forward plan", it appears U management is all over the place, yet other than to cut everyones pay, not much to show!

USA320Pilot said:
See Story

PSA, CRJ-200/700 aircraft/delivery positions, and most likely Allegheny/Piedmont will be sold.

(edited entire original post for easier reading)
Blah Blah Blah... Wake me up when something actually happens.

And MDA flying jetBlue routes? Why, the Dash-8's from LGA to BUF are oversold?

We all know WHAT US Airways has to sell. We all know that US Airways now has the PERMISSION to sell it. This is not news.

I doubt US Airways will get rid of excess PHL gates. I suspect they will attempt to use long-term facility leases in PHL to limit Southwest's operations. Much like NW has done (successfully) in DTW.

Can LGA ops/pax experience be improved? Probably. But if that hanger is in use, it won't be blocked. LGA terminal expansion seems to be a waste of money to me, since operations there are limited by the government, and virtually tapped out.

USA320Pilot said:

"we could see JFK opened as a mainline city to feed Star Alliance partners and to have MDA fly current JetBlue routes"

The feed to BA at JFK worked so well back in the 90's - for BA.

We're going to take on JetBlue with smaller (higher CASM) planes that can't do the west coast (even higher CASM with shorter average stage lengths). Those long legs are the primary reason JetBlue's unit cost is lower than Southwest's.

More wonderful plans from CCY.

Jim

USA320Pilot said:
See Story

Then if necessary, MDA, some excess PHL gates, Shuttle dedicated assets, and the LGA terminal could be sold,
PSA--the only part of US Airways group that seems to be making any money.

MDA--touted as the "competitive response" to the LCCs will now only be available on a per departure fee basis, thus lowering the amount of both revenue and profit to US Airways group. It will also open the gates to affiliate carriers getting their hands on 100+ seaters when US disposes of the 733/734 fleet in short order, thus further trimming the bottom half of the ALPA seniority list.

Excess PHL gates--if these are sold, it will enable LCCs, notably Southwest, to gain an even greater presence in PHL without really trying. This will further erode the revenue base from the "crown jewel."

Shuttle dedicated assets--my understanding is that the shuttle configured aircraft have been reconfigured to the standard mainline configuration--in any case, by selling aircraft, U would break multiple CBAs that reference a 279 aircraft base. The slots at DCA and LGA are collateral for the ATSB loan, and U does not own the LGA terminal, and thus could not sell it.

So, why exactly would any of these things happen, and moreover, why would any ALPA member in his/her right mind be in favor of it?

Spinning the Titanic at 11.

Clue, great post, but you are using real facts and logic, he won't respond to you, he never does when he is proven to be wrong like he usually is.

"why would any ALPA member in his/her right mind be in favor of it?"

Because, if he is high in seniority, he will sell out the "younguns" for a fistful of dollars. As long as you are furloughing less than 50 percent, you can do it ad infinitum, until there are only two left, at which point, it will not work.

Some people has very little regards for others, it is the "me first" mentality, or the "as long as I get mine" mindset. At this point, all the employees at U should band together. No more union against union. The entire employee group should be upset, that outsourcing mx is on the table, because next thing that happens, will be outsourcing the 73 to mesa. Someone better wake up and smell the coffee.

US has very few gates to sell at PHL. Many of you who fly in/out of PHL often complain about the gate holds experienced in PHL so i doubt US can afford to give many up.

The only 2 i can think of are the ones at Terminal D that are the only 2 US gates in the terminal. And like stated before if those two are sold they will most likely go to LCC's...possibly ATA, Airtran, or Frontier...as Southwest will be at another terminal...but you never know.