Express cancelations

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
On a good (non ATC/WX day) day, the number of mainline cancelled flightsmight run the the single digits, often no more than once screenful in DECS. A look at Express cancelations will show many more cancelations. One day this week show seven mainline and over 50 Express flights cancelled.

Now on a bad ATC day, OCC will often cancel express flights to protect the mainline schedule (greater good for a greater number thinking). But just why are there so many more Express cancelations, even on a good day?

Reliability is not a factor for bonuses at express
2/3 of USAirways is express that does not report stats to D.O.T.

Reactions: 1 person
They always have a bit higher CXL rate then mainline. I am not sure why.
Year to date Mainline CF is 92.1 and express 87.7, been rough so far this year mostly due to weather.

On a good (non ATC/WX day) day, the number of mainline cancelled flightsmight run the the single digits, often no more than once screenful in DECS. A look at Express cancelations will show many more cancelations. One day this week show seven mainline and over 50 Express flights cancelled.

Now on a bad ATC day, OCC will often cancel express flights to protect the mainline schedule (greater good for a greater number thinking). But just why are there so many more Express cancelations, even on a good day?

I wondered thee same thing a while back and thought it was just not holding the operators to the same standard. I was told that many times US decides to reduce/ delay the express operation to protect the big picture. Express aircraft generally fly more legs a day and canceling a flight or two can improve things down the road. Many times they pull down the express ops in the hubs more than mainline. On really low vis days the express operation is really hammered because I don't think any of them have Cat III, or maybe even Cat II. Some operators seem better than others too. I imagine there are several things that go into the equation.

I think the DOT should require a company's stats to include any flight that carried it's code. That would change things!

Contract express carriers are pay on completion factor. If USAirways management deicide to selectively cancel express flights do the express carriers still get paid? If am sure there is NO USE express carriers that are CAT ll or III. Is the E190 CAT ll or III now?

Contract express carriers are pay on completion factor. If USAirways management deicide to selectively cancel express flights do the express carriers still get paid? If am sure there is NO USE express carriers that are CAT ll or III. Is the E190 CAT ll or III now?

The 190 is Cat III, Cat IIIa I believe.

I believe that if Mainline cancels the express flight, that does not go against them, still get paid, or paid a portion If the express carrier cancels the flight, then they don't get paid. This is why when mesa had more airplanes in the system, they wouldn't cancel the flight, simply keep working the aircraft, recrew it, then fly it at 4am. empty. They completed the flight. Didn't matter there wasn't anyone on board

Leaner staffing models, older aircraft (in some cases) requiring more mtx, tighter turns and max duty/min rest crew scheduling all play a part.

I believe that if Mainline cancels the express flight, that does not go against them, still get paid, or paid a portion If the express carrier cancels the flight, then they don't get paid. This is why when mesa had more airplanes in the system, they wouldn't cancel the flight, simply keep working the aircraft, recrew it, then fly it at 4am. empty. They completed the flight. Didn't matter there wasn't anyone on board

Well...it goes like this....Mainline can't cancel express flights to save the mainline operation..ONLY the individual dispatch offices can cancel their flights. Mainline can advise and suggest only. The same things happen at express like mainline..Crew coverage issues, MTC, etc. Those express A/C are running lines of flying that you wouldn't believe. Kind of like the 767 fleet...tired , worn, and need replacements...OH....I forgot....need money...

Have a safe week....Thank's for listening!! Jetman out B)

and today, a bad WX day: at early afternoon Eastern, 26 mainline flights cancelled, 260 express.!

Well that's going to happen when 2600 express departures/day and we operate all day in the weather.
DAY-PHL-ABE-PHL-ILM-PHL-BNA
This is just one day of a trip that we do. If the wx is bad in PHL, guess what happens....One or two round trip cancels.

Now other than weather, we are going to be canceling many flights in March because we are going to be
extremely short on pilots. Management has had the opportunity to hire but decided to run us very lean.
This is what happens when companies let the bean counters decide what staffing levels should be.

Latest posts