Express To Pay For Non-rev?

Light Years

Veteran
Aug 27, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Heard a rumour today that starting Jan. 1st all affiliate carrier (non-wholly owned) Express carriers employees will have to pay $25 per leg to non-rev on US Airways. Anyone know anything about this or just a rumour?

This a great idea - since Mesa and Scumtaqua have forced the WO's to the brink of extinction by under bidding them and racing to the bottom then maybe they can enjoy the "fruits" of their undercutting. At Mesa it would only take about 6 hours and Scumtaqua about 5 hours to make enough money to non-rev.

If it is true I'm not sure how I feel about it. On one hand it just seems kind of low.

But on the other hand, most affiliate carriers pay to travel on thier "Sugar Daddy mainline"... and have benefits with every other carrier they "work" for. Why should we give free travel to someone who doesnt work for the company, and whether or not they mean to, replace mainline and wholly owned jobs? US and UA are partners but we dont have full on free travel on each other.

I would feel bad for some poor shmuck working at one of these sleazebag places trying to work thier way up and commuting- but pilots can jumpseat, so its really FAs who will be affected, although a much lower percentage of Express FAs commmute.

Besides, maybe the lack of free travel along with the poverty wages will stop people from accepting positions at these places and continuing the cycle....?

Sorry, at Mesa that's simply not true. I fly in the U system, and do not have travel benefits for my family on HP, or U. You only travel on that which you work for.

Nice try.

Yeah, look who you work for. :blink: Mesa- so your travel is only on Mesa? I'm not trying to be rude, but you don't "work for" U.

I used to work for an "affiliate" regional carrier and got benefits (that we paid for) on three major airlines we serviced.

Have you heard this rumour? It wouldn't surprise me as they are changing travel for retirees and furloughees. Equal opportunity I guess....

Light Years said:
Heard a rumour today that starting Jan. 1st all affiliate carrier (non-wholly owned) Express carriers employees will have to pay $25 per leg to non-rev on US Airways. Anyone know anything about this or just a rumour?
Light Years, Where did you get this "rumor"? Are you becoming the next Chip, all talk but nothing to back it up? The facts are this is total B.S and your unemployed a$$ has nothing better to do than sit around and making up crap like this. All you do is bi!ch about U, why don't you move on with your life. If this was true and that is a HUGE IF, all the mainline pilots that commute on Mesa, CHA and TSA ( and there are a plenty) would have to pay the same fee. It wouldn't last a week.
Girl, get a life and move on. :up: -Cape

"Yeah, look who you work for. Mesa- so your travel is only on Mesa? I'm not trying to be rude, but you don't "work for" U."

I have travel benefits on US Airways and America West so my travel is NOT only on Mesa. I do "work" for U. I get paid by Mesa but I work for US Airways Express. You all need to get over this "if you check isn't signed by "Dave" then you don't belong crap. 80% of Boeing airplanes are made by contract venders. 50% of American cars are made outside the US. Every major airline has contract carriers flying regional flying for them. Every one! This is not something unique to U. Get over your self's. -Cape

Cod,

No offense, but not one Group employee needs to get over anything. What we need is to get your company, and the rest of the contract carriers, out of our business. That would be such a perfect day. :up:

BoredToDeath said:
Cod,

No offense, but not one Group employee needs to get over anything. What we need is to get your company, and the rest of the contract carriers, out of our business. That would be such a perfect day. :up:
Death, I'd like to be a multi millionaire. That ain't gonna happen either. You guys need to stop "hoping" the contract carriers will go away and start working on making your company more viable entity. The sad part is the only one who is going to be "out of business" is ALG and PDT. That will be a sad day. :down: -Cape

I heard this rumour from a Captain at one of the contract carriers (a friend of mine), where several employees have been told this by thier travel coordinator (?). I told him I hadn't heard anything of it, it sounds like something U might pull, but youd think it would be known by now if it starts Jan. 1st. Thats why I asked and also stated that it was a rumour.

Cape- You need to eat some more government cheese, youre acting dizzy. You have no idea what my a$$ is up to but it's not unemployed. It keeps quite busy actually. :) I will not get over U, I enjoyed working there and would like to return, and I wish for the best for my co-workers. Why are you on this board? You DONT work for U. You could paint "Boeing 747" on your jungle jet but a jumbo it does not make. Me b!iching about U? Sometimes, but if you look you'll see alot of constructive ideas and support for my peers in my posts two. You need to get over yourself, not me.

I have nothing against employees of these outfits, in fact when I was flying I would treat any non-rev from any airline like royalty- if there was an empty F seat you were in it. I even worked for one pre-U and know exactly how they operate. I do have a problem with that attitude of "those selfish mainline people and thier demands and overpay" that I've heard from some of your cocky 21 year old pilots. If you keep taking pay cuts and being a w*ore theres not going to be anything for you to move up to, so get some pride in yourself and stop ruining a decent profession. I made 20,000 a year as a U FA- you could make that at the Gap. But your "flight attendants" make, what 12? Less than a Mickey D's employee TO DO OUR JOBS THAT WE WORKED HARD FOR AND WERE COMMITTEDD TO. What am I supposed to get over again? :eek:

Thank you BoredtoDeath. :up:

Cape,
If your FOM says US Airways, a divission of, etc., then you work for the mainline. If it doesn't, you don't.

Just an update, said friend recieved confirmation from thier CEO in his weekly message about travel changes for the new year. $20 one way, $40 one way international (not sure if they mean Europe or islands or what) for AFFILIATE employees.

You heard it here first from my bitter unemployed a$$. :rolleyes:

To my understanding, the fee of $20 is for upgrades--each way--regardless of mileage, with the exception of Europe. When asked about paying for segment travel, he (travel) said that active and furloughs would not pay for space-a travel...only retiree's. Nothing else was mentioned. If mainline charges express carriers ' employees to fly non-rev, express carriers would probably charge mainline non-rev's to fly on them. That would suck for those whose cities are not service by mainline, only express carriers, that commute. Call travel tomorrow and clarify this rumor...it's starting to take up bandwidth ;o

My friend recieved this today, I quote from company memo.

There have been changes made to the US Airways travel program for 2004. For AFFILIATE employees/retirees, the optional term pass/service charge system is being changed to a service charge only system. The domestic upgrade charge program has also been simplified, requiring a $20 fee regardless of length of travel.

The changes you'll be seeing, effective January 1, 2004, are as follows:

*The Service Charge program will require a payment of $20 for one way coach domestic travel and $40 for one way coach international travel, plus applicable taxes. Employee, spouse, domestic partner, registered guest and parents only may purchase service charge passes. Children and other dependents must have passes purchased for them. Passes may be purchases at ATOs and CTOs.

....end quote. They have also renamed the registered companion program "registered guest" to avoid confusion with a domestic partner.