Extra Aircraft Celebrates Milestone

Paul

Veteran
Nov 15, 2005
2006 marks a significant milestone in the history of Extra Aircraft as it celebrates its 25th anniversary in aviation manufacturing and the potential for a record-breaking production schedule.

“Extra Aircraft really started by accidentâ€￾, says Walter Extra, mechanical engineer and founder of Extra Aircraft.

“I just wanted to take my competition flying to another level so I went to work designing and building the first Extra 230.â€￾

Ever since Extra introduced his first aircraft in 1981, it has been an extraordinary ride for the world-class aerobatic champion. The success of his first aircraft prompted him to achieve new heights by making what every aerobatic pilot wants—a more powerful aircraft. By modifying the airframe and changing to a six-cylinder, 290-horsepower Lycoming engine, creating the EA-260. It was subsequently the plane that helped produce national titles for legendry aerobatic pilot Patty Wagstaff.

Less than a year after developing the EA-260, Walter went back to the drawing board to develop a two-seater—the now legendary EA-300.

Aero-News Network

Latest posts