F/A Furlough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyboy4u

Veteran
Oct 6, 2002
JUst recieved this from base chair...Can anyone confirm or deny?

Hi Guys,

Apfa has been notified by American Airlines of an overage in the flight attendant workforce, system wide, of 410people. All parties subject to furlough will be notified in the next 24 to 48 hours via a fed ex letter.
As per the Collective Barganing agreement, leaves in luie of furlough will be offered along with Partnership flying as well as the "passout" early out option. All information regarding the various leave of abscence options are available on Jetnet as well as www.APFA.org. The deadline for Proffering for the various LoA is March 6th. Awards will be posted on the flight service website on March 11th. Persons holding the LoA will be notified via a fed ex letter as wel. The Q and A on these options will be available shortly. Please be sure to call the APFA hotline at 1-800-399-2732 for the latest update.

JUst recieved this from base chair...Can anyone confirm or deny?

Hi Guys,

Apfa has been notified by American Airlines of an overage in the flight attendant workforce, system wide, of 410people. All parties subject to furlough will be notified in the next 24 to 48 hours via a fed ex letter.
As per the Collective Barganing agreement, leaves in luie of furlough will be offered along with Partnership flying as well as the "passout" early out option. All information regarding the various leave of abscence options are available on Jetnet as well as www.APFA.org. The deadline for Proffering for the various LoA is March 6th. Awards will be posted on the flight service website on March 11th. Persons holding the LoA will be notified via a fed ex letter as wel. The Q and A on these options will be available shortly. Please be sure to call the APFA hotline at 1-800-399-2732 for the latest update.
I just answered my own question...Goodluck to all

This is a special APFA HotLine update for Wednesday, February 25.

This afternoon, Lauri Curtis, American’s Vice President of Flight Service, advised in an email and HI6 message that, despite the attempts over the last several months to accommodate the Flight Attendant manning overages caused by schedule reductions and reduced passenger loads, the company has been unable to sufficiently absorb the expected additional Flight Attendant headcount. It is therefore notifying the 410 most junior of our members that they are subject to furlough effective April 1, 2009.

We are extremely disappointed that the company has had to resort to this action, though are hopeful that through the contractual procedures of Overage Leaves and Partnership Flying proffers, and the re-offering of the Travel Separation Program, the overage will be reduced or eliminated through voluntary means and will thereby reduce, or eliminate, any layoffs.

I just answered my own question...Goodluck to all

This is a special APFA HotLine update for Wednesday, February 25.

This afternoon, Lauri Curtis, American’s Vice President of Flight Service, advised in an email and HI6 message that, despite the attempts over the last several months to accommodate the Flight Attendant manning overages caused by schedule reductions and reduced passenger loads, the company has been unable to sufficiently absorb the expected additional Flight Attendant headcount. It is therefore notifying the 410 most junior of our members that they are subject to furlough effective April 1, 2009.

We are extremely disappointed that the company has had to resort to this action, though are hopeful that through the contractual procedures of Overage Leaves and Partnership Flying proffers, and the re-offering of the Travel Separation Program, the overage will be reduced or eliminated through voluntary means and will thereby reduce, or eliminate, any layoffs.

Former TWA furlough fodder again. And no furlough pay. Thank you Laura! re: the loss of furlough pay......Laura was at the table, not John Ward for this one..

Like 410 f/a salaries are going to make a difference in the bottom line of AA. Haasn't anyone figured out that you don't cut front line customer service when times are hard.

Wouldn't some number of these F/As be based out of LGA. (I seem to remember a number of former TWA attendants being assigned there). If this is the case, wouldn't at least the NY impacted FAs be covered by the new New York State Warn law which requires a 90 day warning notice which went into effect on Feb 1, 2009?

See this site:

http://www.labor.state.ny.us/workforcenypa...warnportal.shtm

I'm certainly no expert....but if this is the case....the law is the law.

Best of luck to all.

Former TWA furlough fodder again. And no furlough pay. Thank you Laura! re: the loss of furlough pay......Laura was at the table, not John Ward for this one..

Like 410 f/a salaries are going to make a difference in the bottom line of AA. Haasn't anyone figured out that you don't cut front line customer service when times are hard.
Better to have TWA furlough fodder than nAAtive furlough fodder. Why doesn't AA offer 5 and 5? If they offered it many would leave.

I don't see how April 1st can be possible. The Federal WARN Act requires a minimum of 60 days notice. As they never sent WARN letters in January "because we got enough people to take leaves," I don't think that counts as the starting point. The starting point of the 60 days is supposed to be the date on the letter they are mailing now.

In addition, I don't see how 410 f/as is going to make a difference. I finished this month on reserve today with 47 hours--however, that includes 5 hours of airport standby and 4.10 for special assignment pay. I talked with a classmate of mine tonight. She is on reserve this month also. Now she is good for the last 4 days of the month, but so far she only has 25 hours!!!! (Oh, and there are no reserve assignments for tomorrow so far at SLT. What little was in open time went to people on MU.)

And, the people on availability are not covering their guarantees either. From what I hear from other bases, SLT is not unique in this situation.

Better to have TWA furlough fodder than nAAtive furlough fodder. Why doesn't AA offer 5 and 5? If they offered it many would leave.

Grasshopper, the primary purpose of a union is to preserve jobs. Labor 101. If the APFA (thank you Laura) had not GIVEN away furlough pay, there would be less incentive for the Company to furlough. I would hate to be a union negotiating a contract with several thousand laid off employees, retirees, friends and family members just waiting to see what this "union" has up its sleeve.

I don't see how April 1st can be possible. The Federal WARN Act requires a minimum of 60 days notice. As they never sent WARN letters in January "because we got enough people to take leaves," I don't think that counts as the starting point. The starting point of the 60 days is supposed to be the date on the letter they are mailing now.

U.S. Department of Labor Employment and Training Administration Fact Sheet

The Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act
A Guide to Advance Notice of Closings and Layoffs

What Triggers Notice

Plant Closing: A covered employer must give notice if an employment site (or one or more facilities or operating units within an employment site) will be shut down, and the shutdown will result in an employment loss (as defined later) for 50 or more employees during any 30-day period. This does not count employees who have worked less than 6 months in the last 12 months or employees who work an average of less than 20 hours a week for that employer. These latter groups, however, are entitled to notice (discussed later).

Mass Layoff: A covered employer must give notice if there is to be a mass layoff which does not result from a plant closing, but which will result in an employment loss at the employment site during any 30-day period for 500 or more employees, or for 50-499 employees if they make up at least 33% of the employer's active workforce. Again, this does not count employees who have worked less than 6 months in the last 12 months or employees who work an average of less than 20 hours a week for that employer. These latter groups, however, are entitled to notice (discussed later).

An employer also must give notice if the number of employment losses which occur during a 30-day period fails to meet the threshold requirements of a plant closing or mass layoff, but the number of employment losses for 2 or more groups of workers, each of which is less than the minimum number needed to trigger notice, reaches the threshold level, during any 90-day period, of either a plant closing or mass layoff. Job losses within any 90-day period will count together toward WARN threshold levels, unless the employer demonstrates that the employment losses during the 90-day period are the result of separate and distinct actions and causes.

Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN)

This is the Federal Version. The WARN criteria is somewhat different from state to state.

Don't be timid if you are affected by this, check your individual state and local laws, kick the union in the butt to help you as well!

Best to you all! :up:

Take Care,
B) xUT

(Been There, Done That... No T-Shirt)

---------------------------------------------------- Edited By Me ------------------------------------------------------
For California see:
CALIFORNIA CODES
LABOR CODE
SECTION 1400-1408

Grasshopper, the primary purpose of a union is to preserve jobs. Labor 101. If the APFA (thank you Laura) had not GIVEN away furlough pay, there would be less incentive for the Company to furlough. I would hate to be a union negotiating a contract with several thousand laid off employees, retirees, friends and family members just waiting to see what this "union" has up its sleeve.

Get your facts straight, GRASSHOPPER! Laura Glading did not give away furlough pay. That was given up by John Ward back in 2003.

Get your facts straight, GRASSHOPPER! Laura Glading did not give away furlough pay. That was given up by John Ward back in 2003.

Much as I don't like what John Ward did "back in the day", he was NOT sitting at the table. Laura Gladding was and therefore as the current President, (who could have led this union to make some important protections for her members) is held accountable. Check your facts. Bottom line is this membership unfriendly union has put its most junior members in the postition of being seasonal "help". Furlough pay was designed to help with broken leases, relocation for work, and a small amount to tide one over until either a new job or unemployment kicks in. Given the economy, this union has put every one of its junior members at risk. This includes the former TWA (who have been members since 2001), the former RENO,, and the most junior original hired. This is why you have LPPs and also this is why you never give away something like furlough pay.

Everyone is so hung up on this loss of furlough pay..... Does anyone really know what the actual furlough was??? Knowing AA I'm sure it was very little....
I've been around long enough to know that anything from AA really never amounts to what you think it should be. Always a glitch ....

BDD_panic_button.jpg

Typical AA "Furlough First" mentality...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts