F/A Retention Bonus

FlyOnWall

Senior
Mar 22, 2004
If an MAA F/A interviews with Republic (why theyd want to) they don't really get a choice whether they will work for Republic, zChaqua, or Shuttle America. The company is saying they'll only honor thier retention if they happen to get Republic, which they really have no control over.

Dear Flight Attendants:

I have been notified by the company, that should a Flight Attendant choose to go to Republic, they are entitled to the retention bonus as stated in the negotiations. However, if the Flight Attendant chooses to go Chauttaqua or Shuttle America, they become ineligible for the retention bonus.

I disagree with this interpretation, and I have shared my concerns with the company. The Flight Attendant does not necessarily know immediately after the interview whether or not they will be flying for Republic, or one of the other carriers.

I have asked the company to include Shuttle America and Chattaqua in the retention bonus language.

I will keep you updated.

In solidarity,

Bobbi

It'a the same company and seniority list, and from what I hear, they don't get a choice unless all three are having classes.

If an MAA F/A interviews with Republic (why theyd want to) they don't really get a choice whether they will work for Republic, zChaqua, or Shuttle America. The company is saying they'll only honor thier retention if they happen to get Republic, which they really have no control over.
Dear Flight Attendants:

I have been notified by the company, that should a Flight Attendant choose to go to Republic, they are entitled to the retention bonus as stated in the negotiations. However, if the Flight Attendant chooses to go Chauttaqua or Shuttle America, they become ineligible for the retention bonus.

I disagree with this interpretation, and I have shared my concerns with the company. The Flight Attendant does not necessarily know immediately after the interview whether or not they will be flying for Republic, or one of the other carriers.

I have asked the company to include Shuttle America and Chattaqua in the retention bonus language.

I will keep you updated.

In solidarity,

Bobbi

It'a the same company and seniority list, and from what I hear, they don't get a choice unless all three are having classes.

I have not heard if you get the bonus if you decide to go to Phoenix or not? Anyone heard if the MAA f/a's are eigible to get the retention if they go to PHX?

Details of the Transition agreement between America West and US Airways

As you know, AFA reached an agreement on transition issues, and will now be proceeding to work on negotiations for a single agreement for both groups.

The Transition Agreement covers a number of important points. The following are of particular interest to MidAtlantic flight attendants.

* The flight attendant workforces of America West and US Airways will continue to be covered by their respective agreements during the period of separate operations
* Vacancies at America West will be filled by hiring involuntarily furloughed US Airways flight attendants
* These new hire positions will be offered in seniority order
* There are vacancies at America West due to attrition projected for 2006, and the Company has told us that the offer letters are planned to go out shortly
* MidAtlantic flight attendants are eligible for these vacancies and will NOT be subject to a freeze or hold at MidAtlantic
* The Company has verbally agreed that a MidAtlantic flight attendant who accepts one of these positions will still be eligible for the Retention Bonus items; we hope to firm that up this week* Involuntarily furloughed flight attendants who accept these positions will be credited with their US Airways mainline longevity for purposes of rates of pay, vacation accrual and benefit eligibility; their rates of pay, etc., will be those of the America West Agreement. They will not be required to serve a probationary period at America West
* AFA proposed, but was not able to achieve, adding longevity credit for service at MidAtlantic. This will be re-proposed in single contract negotiations
* Such flight attendants will be at the bottom of the America West seniority list, in the order they appear on the US Airways list
* Declining a position at America West does NOT affect recall rights, which remain intact
* Each flight attendant has two passes. Upon the second pass, the Company will not offer an America West new hire position again
* The Company may require a flight attendant who has accepted a new hire position at America West to forego recall to US Airways for up to 365 days (one year)
* Training at America West is seven weeks. Flight attendants will be paid at the America West rate of pay for training, but will not be provided lodging or per diem. AFA is not planning on charging dues while in training
* Flight attendants are not exempted from purchase of the America West uniform
* If the Company purchases the EMB-190, it will be a mainline aircraft, paid at mainline rates of pay
* An involuntarily furloughed flight attendant who accepts a position at America West will regain her/his position on the integrated seniority list AFTER Operational Integration but NOT until she/he has been offered recall based on seniority. At that point, she/he "pops up". If the flight attendant is offered recall prior to Operational Integration, and chooses not to accept recall, or is held at America West by the Company, will "pop up" on the of Operational Integration
* There will be no system rebid at the date of Operational Integration
* Flight attendants on furlough as of the date of Operation Integration will not be able to bump or displace active flight attendants as a result of the integration of the seniority list.

I am currently working on getting a pay rate scale for comparison between MAA pay and America West Pay. As soon as I receive it, I will make it available.

In solidarity,

Bobbi

"Verbally agreed" but not "firmed up". Doesn't look good. The way they are treating these people is appalling.

Details of the Transition agreement between America West and US Airways

As you know, AFA reached an agreement on transition issues, and will now be proceeding to work on negotiations for a single agreement for both groups.

The Transition Agreement covers a number of important points. The following are of particular interest to MidAtlantic flight attendants.

* The flight attendant workforces of America West and US Airways will continue to be covered by their respective agreements during the period of separate operations
* Vacancies at America West will be filled by hiring involuntarily furloughed US Airways flight attendants
* These new hire positions will be offered in seniority order
* There are vacancies at America West due to attrition projected for 2006, and the Company has told us that the offer letters are planned to go out shortly
* MidAtlantic flight attendants are eligible for these vacancies and will NOT be subject to a freeze or hold at MidAtlantic
WOW, wonder when anyone will know for sure if they are going to ge the retention bonus or not? i dont believe in verbal, i want it in writing!!!!!!!
Thanks for the info!

**Moderator Note: Please refrain from quoting a lengthy post. It just makes it easier for everyone to read follow-on posts. Thank you.**

The Company has verbally agreed that a MidAtlantic flight attendant who accepts one of these positions will still be eligible for the Retention Bonus items; we hope to firm that up this week*

You typed that in .... That is not on any documents that I have or what is posted on any website.

How can one "verbally" agree and then "write it in". If it is in writing it IS in writing.

I disagree :down:

You typed that in .... That is not on any documents that I have or what is posted on any website.

How can one "verbally" agree and then "write it in". If it is in writing it IS in writing.

I disagree :down:
I didnt believe it either , but, go to the afa website, then click on transition agreement discussion, it is outlined there by Mike Flores MEC President. I am copying it and printing it!!!!!!!

Dear Flight Attendants:

After challenging the language of the retention bonus, should a flight attendant take a position with Republic, and end up flying for Chattaqua or Shuttle America, the company has agreed to include Chattaqua and Shuttle America in the retention language.

Simply stated, if you take a position with Republic, and end up flying with Chattaqua or Shuttle America, you are still eligible for the retention bonus.

If you have already taken a position with either carrier and have been denied the retention bonus, please contact me or one of the other officers.

In solidarity,

Bobbi

You are also eligible for the retention bonus should you take a position with America West.

[Retention bonus? How about better pay and working conditions? This whole "bonus" thing is just a big scam to keep you making less. Flame away, but you know it's true.

Oldi-
That would be great...in a perfect world. Fact is, MidAtlantic comes to an end in May. We all know that. The retention bonus was an incentive for the people who stayed until the end.

How does an incentive "bonus" keep us making less, as you suggest? It is what it is...

Oh,
I guess the idea that they might have to pay folks reasonable wages to stay on doesn't work? I think the union cut it's own throat by allowing something as stupid as this. It might have even had the effect of driving up the standard at the other "regionals", but I guess the AFA acknowlwdges that they make enough now at the lower scales. I think the AFA had the company over a barrel, then they politely helped them off. I'm not working in the industry anymore (at least for now, by my choice), and, quite frankly, can't understand why anyone would. The pay and benefits suck, the free travel is WAY over rated, and there is virtually no job security OR retirement. I read a thread earlier where a F/A said she made something like 25k last year. To spend over half your life living out of a suitcase? Missing weekends and holidays and rarely getting a vacation when you can actually use it? Having folks question your integrity just to call in sick when you are actually unfit to go to work? Sorry, your argument about having no options in this situation doesn't hold water. The airline business is evolving into something worse than traveling on trailways, and until someone gets a backbone it isn't gonna get any better.

Oh,
I guess the idea that they might have to pay folks reasonable wages to stay on doesn't work? I think the union cut it's own throat by allowing something as stupid as this. It might have even had the effect of driving up the standard at the other "regionals", but I guess the AFA acknowlwdges that they make enough now at the lower scales. I think the AFA had the company over a barrel, then they politely helped them off. I'm not working in the industry anymore (at least for now, by my choice), and, quite frankly, can't understand why anyone would. The pay and benefits suck, the free travel is WAY over rated, and there is virtually no job security OR retirement. I read a thread earlier where a F/A said she made something like 25k last year. To spend over half your life living out of a suitcase? Missing weekends and holidays and rarely getting a vacation when you can actually use it? Having folks question your integrity just to call in sick when you are actually unfit to go to work? Sorry, your argument about having no options in this situation doesn't hold water. The airline business is evolving into something worse than traveling on trailways, and until someone gets a backbone it isn't gonna get any better.

"Pay reasonable wages to stay on???"
HELLO......MidAtlantic is GONE in may. There is no "staying on". It was extra cash in your pocket to bridge between jobs.

It's probably best that you are no longer in the industry...."by your choice".

Let it go....

"Pay reasonable wages to stay on???"
HELLO......MidAtlantic is GONE in may. There is no "staying on". It was extra cash in your pocket to bridge between jobs.

It's probably best that you are no longer in the industry...."by your choice".

Let it go....
Then just what is the reason for a "retention bonus"? It's obvious that if you are part of the AFA leadership, which it appears you are, then it's no wonder they are in the predicament they're in. You, and the AFA, apparently just haven't got a clue! The company needs folks to stay and fly their expensive little jets until they can unload them and YOUR jobs onto another company. You stay, you deserve what you get!

Bobbi Riggle is the only person who thinks the "incentive bonus" is a good thing.Figure it out.

It never occured to her to fight for mainline back pay or even longevity, she seems content that MDA is going away and she's done her bit by getting people an extra hundred dollars a month or whatever it is. Shes simply not bothered and never has been. "Let it go" thats been her whole attitude since the beginning of the whole fiasco. She must have been hand picked by the company.

Bobbi Riggle is the only person who thinks the "incentive bonus" is a good thing.Figure it out.

It never occured to her to fight for mainline back pay or even longevity, she seems content that MDA is going away and she's done her bit by getting people an extra hundred dollars a month or whatever it is. Shes simply not bothered and never has been. "Let it go" thats been her whole attitude since the beginning of the whole fiasco. She must have been hand picked by the company.
I dont think I could have said it better myself!!
AFA SHOULD be embarrassed, actually, they probably are, having her in office!