F/A sings...Should I stay or should I go now....

davo77

Apr 30, 2008
So, as a reserve f/a on the east I have watched this company and this industry kick my butt over the last 10 years. Im beginning to think I like the abuse.
First it was 9-11..then furloughed for 1.5 yrs...then I went to Mid-Atlantic...couldnt afford that so stayed for just a year...Finally came back to mainline in 06...then the oil prices shot through the roof. Now the economy has crashed..throw in a little swine flu and just keep wondering what will happen next. I know these are factors I cannot cotrol and I have done all I can to find a "happy place" with my job but I just dont see any light at the end anymore. With less then 200 f/a's below me systemwide I stay nervous about the next big furlough, or capacity reduction.
I figure at some point things will tip in my favor so far as people retiring but do I want to be 40 and living a life of reserve?? Its no life to live...problem is I like what I do for the most part...
Im asking those more experieced in the ways of the airlines...do you think things will change or the better anytime soon? I know noone has a crystal ball, but I need some seasoned F/As to give an opinion.... thanks

So, as a reserve f/a on the east I have watched this company and this industry kick my butt over the last 10 years. Im beginning to think I like the abuse.
First it was 9-11..then furloughed for 1.5 yrs...then I went to Mid-Atlantic...couldnt afford that so stayed for just a year...Finally came back to mainline in 06...then the oil prices shot through the roof. Now the economy has crashed..throw in a little swine flu and just keep wondering what will happen next. I know these are factors I cannot cotrol and I have done all I can to find a "happy place" with my job but I just dont see any light at the end anymore. With less then 200 f/a's below me systemwide I stay nervous about the next big furlough, or capacity reduction.
I figure at some point things will tip in my favor so far as people retiring but do I want to be 40 and living a life of reserve?? Its no life to live...problem is I like what I do for the most part...
Im asking those more experieced in the ways of the airlines...do you think things will change or the better anytime soon? I know noone has a crystal ball, but I need some seasoned F/As to give an opinion.... thanks
If it makes you feel any better I'm in the same boat as you, although I have more than 200 people below me (probably not by a whole lot) I've stopped worrying about the furlough thing and actually look at it as if it happens then another door with learning opportunities will open. I love what I do, and LOVE the people I work with, however as tacky and embarrassing as we have gotten I have lost nearly all of the pride I used to have in this airline. (although I think the new 330 is looking pretty nice!!)

I suggest you just hang in there and enjoy the dysfunctional ride that the airline industry has become. I have been in the industry for 23 years now (not all with the same airline) and have seen the ups and downs, going from the gravy train to the soup line and back, etc.

I still love this job as much as the day I started, and that's what keeps me here. I love the people I fly with, the flexibility, the layovers, and the few good things we have left to hold onto.

Do I think change for the better will happen? Absolutely. The one thing that has always been consistent in this industry is that good times and bad times are cyclical. That being said, this, by far, has been the biggest industry downturn that I have personally experienced...and I am sure you will get the same feedback from any airline employee regardless of what airline they represent.

I am not holding much faith that things will get "better" in the near future, but I am optimistic that things will turn around...probably more gradually this time around.

A bit of advice from my end of the seniority list. I have 25 years and can fly almost anything I want to, and I'm also 47 years old. There is little chance of me going back on reserve or holding a secondary line. From your perspective, life is good. But I have lost my pension and pay. Now I must fly roughly 120 hours to just equal what I made five years ago. This is not an option for me. And, it doesn't appear that it will get better anytime soon. This entire industry will take another 10 to 15 years of mergers and bankruptcies to correct itself. If you love this job and want to stick it out, you must accept this fact and be willing to deal with whatever the consequences will be.

My advice to you is ask yourself what are my options and opportunities? If your answer is none, focus your energies and efforts on developing additional options and opportunities while putting less focus on this job and US Airways. This is what I did by choosing to go back to school. I can't even begin to tell you how much happier I am. I no longer worry about this job or US Airways. Instead, I'm focused on how to improve myself first and resume second. Plan your future based on what's best for you. That may be US Airways, and that is great. Just don't blind yourself to other options.

Great reply bigbusboy! Words to live by...and live happily by! I no longer let my job define who I am like I did for so many years. My job offers me a life that I enjoy, but it is NOT my life!

I know exactly how you feel! Here's what I suggest. If you are happy, stay here for now. In the meantime, prepare for your retirement and by all means make sure you have a plan B in case you lose your job here. Anything can happen in the aviation industry or any industry for that matter so brush up your skills on a past career you have undertaken or find something you would like to study and pursue it. I love US Airways and I know we are one big disfunctional family and things don't always go as we would like for them to but if you are happy stay here and come up with an alternative just in case. There are many people here unfortunately who are miserable but continue to work here and spread the poison and when I ask them why they are still here some reply they have no other choice. Um, Okay...Oh, and always follow your intuition in regards to leaving this place. I was going to quit last year but followed my intuition and stayed and it's a good thing I did because I probably would have lost my job which everyone said was "stable" and "secure"! HA!

As for being a reserve, I am also a very junior reserve and I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel so I just try to make the best of it as long as I choose to be here. So what if I am only flying 40 hours a month. That means I have more time to study and do other things for my enjoyment or for my future. So what if I can't afford to eat! At least I don't have to worry about gaining weight! :lol:

Good insight from everyone..thanks for taking time to reply... I do want to go back to school...I always use the rcrazy eserve schedule as an excuse.. but like they say..If you want somethin bad enough you make it happen..good luck all

Good insight from everyone..thanks for taking time to reply... I do want to go back to school...I always use the rcrazy eserve schedule as an excuse.. but like they say..If you want somethin bad enough you make it happen..good luck all

Get yourself a laptop and go to school online. There are some great options out there: Strayer, U. of Phoenix, Drexil, the list is huge. Reserve is no excuse for anything. Stop identifying yourself as a reserve FA for US and predicating your life because of it and start being yourself.

Get yourself a laptop and go to school online. There are some great options out there: Strayer, U. of Phoenix, Drexil, the list is huge. Reserve is no excuse for anything. Stop identifying yourself as a reserve FA for US and predicating your life because of it and start being yourself.

Great advice. BTW I take classes online and it works out really well. I also took classes on campus on Wednesday and Thursday nights for a semester and it was stressful getting the days off that I needed but I always was able to make it work by switching days off with others on the ETB and if all else fails just call in sick.

Excellent post!

Again, great post. I will be doing this myself very soon. Almost all universities have an online program (or at least a "blended" one).

Also, a lot of schools put their entire curriculum online for free. You won't get credit for these, of course, but if you want to take something for fun, or read up to polish your skills, that's also not a bad thing to add to your list.

Lastly, if you're going to listen to the Clash, take Combat Rock off the turntable, and switch it with London Calling. :)

Excellent posts from everyone. I was kind of expecting to hear (from some) "RUN!" "Don't let the Jet bridge door hit you on the way out" things like that! Its good to hear REAL support and good advice! Because, I too, LUV what I do, but I can't solely rely on it.

It helps me to get to work on a better plan B and to get things into a better perspective. Last night's news could have been potentially devastating (OMG, not again!) I am currently working (almost) all my days off and putting whatever cash I get in the bank. I didn't consider taking up classes until reading this and some of the courses you mentioned I will be pursuing avidly.

I appreciate it also. Thank you :up:

My advice to you is ask yourself what are my options and opportunities? If your answer is none, focus your energies and efforts on developing additional options and opportunities while putting less focus on this job and US Airways. This is what I did by choosing to go back to school. I can't even begin to tell you how much happier I am. I no longer worry about this job or US Airways. Instead, I'm focused on how to improve myself first and resume second. Plan your future based on what's best for you. That may be US Airways, and that is great. Just don't blind yourself to other options.
I’ll second that very good advice

2009 is something of an anniversary for me. 20 years ago I was a new hire, and 5 years ago I quit.

My plan was to be a blockholder in PIT after one year <cue laugh track> then go on the 55 hour option when it was contractually available to me after 5 years <more laughter>. I’ve always had other things going on in my life, so I was always trying to minimize the time slinging cokes even though the job was a blast. Heck, you can even have a great time in places like ROC if you have a good crew. I miss those days.

Things at US started to slide backwards in 2001, so I spent 3 years hoping for things to improve. The LTO was the final straw for me. I’m 41 now and let me tell you, the time really starts to fly by with the passing of each year. Giving something “a little timeâ€￾ to get better has a different meaning when you’re 21.

Outside of the usual jobs that a teenager has, and my 15 years at US, I’ve been self-employed. I don’t really feel qualified to hand out career change advice, but I know of many folks that have gone back to school for a few years and are much happier now. Come to think of it, everyone on my Xmas card list that used to work for US has moved on to other things. Even if you stay, this would allow you to job hunt on your own terms and schedule.

I still like to travel and live in hotel rooms, although the TSA is really getting on my nerves.