F/A Staffing

usafa88

Jan 13, 2008
Can anyone on here explain to me what is going on with f/a staffing or at least give your opinion on what is going on. I am based in PHL and talk to reserves who work 30 hours a month for months in a row. Most break their guarantee one month a year. In PHL, we lost all the 757 domestic time, for the winter a bulk of t/a time and in March all of the PIT displacements will be coming in. This alone leaves an overabundance of f/a's. Now throw 40 or more recall in their and that leaves a very overstaffed base. As I said, it was overstaffed before the PIT people and recalls. We are only losing 30 or so people to the SEP in March so that can't affect it that much.

So why are they not offering VPLOA's for March? Why are they calling f/a's back? With reserve probably going back to 1988 in March, creating even more reserves than the overabundance we have now, why would they not offer leaves? Please someone try to explain the logic? Who are the people making these decisions?

Its the same her in PHX, NO ONE is working. Want to pick up hours? Forget it! The trade board is EMPTY!

Can anyone on here explain to me what is going on with f/a staffing or at least give your opinion on what is going on. I am based in PHL and talk to reserves who work 30 hours a month for months in a row. Most break their guarantee one month a year. In PHL, we lost all the 757 domestic time, for the winter a bulk of t/a time and in March all of the PIT displacements will be coming in. This alone leaves an overabundance of f/a's. Now throw 40 or more recall in their and that leaves a very overstaffed base. As I said, it was overstaffed before the PIT people and recalls. We are only losing 30 or so people to the SEP in March so that can't affect it that much.

So why are they not offering VPLOA's for March? Why are they calling f/a's back? With reserve probably going back to 1988 in March, creating even more reserves than the overabundance we have now, why would they not offer leaves? Please someone try to explain the logic? Who are the people making these decisions?
Same here in BOS. I never go over 50 hours and they wanna bring 50ish people here. I think they are just too dumb to figure it out. All the other airlines fa work all the time that are based here.

Same here in BOS. I never go over 50 hours and they wanna bring 50ish people here. I think they are just too dumb to figure it out. All the other airlines fa work all the time that are based here.
This keeps happening year after year after year. This is ridiculous.

PK is a moron, he matches the new regime well, so they kept him. They have never been able to staff the airline correctly. See December as an example. Some F/As didn't leave the house until the 15th but they were drastically short on Xmas, calling out mgmt to fly trips.

They are offering a VLOA for March. Of course, they will only give it to 11 people like last time.

Easy answer: They staff in "panic mode". Constantly. Since I was hired. WHAT IF something goes wrong? WHAT IF there is a snowstorm? However, as evidenced by the Christmas and New Years staffing debacles, the staffing model is seriously flawed, and no one has the balls to admit it. Entertaining, really. One of my favorite moves: B/H's are allowed to go on the bid sheet in DROVES and drop their trips for the 25th Dec, and they don't anticipate shortages? Hysterical.

They refuse to admit publicly that they have *HUGE* morale/ labor issues, so by overstaffing like crazy, it makes them look like they have everything under control. See how well that worked over the holidays? You can offer all of the football, baseball, triple play, "hustle" whatever games, if labor is not on board whatsoever, you will remain last in all the DOT rankings. Dead last. (Maybe they should give away more iPOds and flat screen TV's? That worked well a few years back, too....) :lol:

The remedy is simple: Negotiate fair contracts on par with the rest of the industry. But they refuse to be serious.

Don't question it, just sit back and laugh....

OH BTW, I think I read there are NO leaves offered for March? I believe the email said they "analyzed" the staffing, and they were unable to offer them. Wonder why they need lumps and lumps of extra stewardesses for March? :lol:

Flawless. :groovy:

Easy answer: They staff in "panic mode". Constantly. Since I was hired. WHAT IF something goes wrong? WHAT IF there is a snowstorm? However, as evidenced by the Christmas and New Years staffing debacles, the staffing model is seriously flawed, and no one has the balls to admit it. Entertaining, really. One of my favorite moves: B/H's are allowed to go on the bid sheet in DROVES and drop their trips for the 25th Dec, and they don't anticipate shortages? Hysterical.

They refuse to admit publicly that they have *HUGE* morale/ labor issues, so by overstaffing like crazy, it makes them look like they have everything under control. See how well that worked over the holidays? You can offer all of the football, baseball, triple play, "hustle" whatever games, if labor is not on board whatsoever, you will remain last in all the DOT rankings. Dead last. :lol:

The remedy is simple: Negotiate fair contracts on par with the rest of the industry. But they refuse to be serious.

Don't question it, just sit back and laugh....

OH BTW, I think I read there are NO leaves offered for March? I believe the email said they "analyzed" the staffing, and they were unable to offer them. Wonder why they need lumps and lumps of extra stewardesses for March? :lol:

Flawless. :groovy:
You are so right. They think by throwing giving us cake, turkey dinners, etc that it makes them good employers. They refuse to see what really matters to their employees. Their overstaffing creates more people on reserve which has such a dramatic impact on people's lives. I will most likely be losing my primary line in March which means even more people on reserve. This impact their quality of life so much, less income, now they have to be base on call etc. They could do something right for a change that is in their control, i.e., offering these leaves but Inflight management continually refuses to address what is important to their employees. It is so annoying.

They just want to get rid of the furlough list. Which they are proving that will.

This may be true for a couple of reasons. First being that the company just wants to get rid of the furlough list completely and move forward with staffing. Second, which should be pretty high on the list, is that the East cannot start NewHire training while we still have F/A's out on Furlough albeit VOL/INVOL. The East needs to obtain LODO's to fly the Beijing route and if I'm not mistaken the only way to do that is to have a New Hire F/A training class. Any thoughts?

This may be true for a couple of reasons. First being that the company just wants to get rid of the furlough list completely and move forward with staffing.
perhaps the IMPOtempe regime is purposefully saturating the f/a ranks (via recalls) to promote even more disdain and eventually resignations? "higher cost" f/as resigning, paving the way for lower cost, off the street f/as... it would be ever so consistent with their anti-employee mentality...

God, now i am starting to think like them :blink:

Its the same her in PHX, NO ONE is working. Want to pick up hours? Forget it! The trade board is EMPTY!

Well, I might be coming back to DCA and was wondering if they are not getting their hours in either? Anyone know? Thanks for your help, just want to have an idea of what I'm in for :)

perhaps the IMPOtempe regime is purposefully saturating the f/a ranks (via recalls) to promote even more disdain and eventually resignations? "higher cost" f/as resigning, paving the way for lower cost, off the street f/as... it would be ever so consistent with their anti-employee mentality...

God, now i am starting to think like them :blink:

I think that is it. I doubt seriously they are trying to get through the list just so they can hire LODOS for flights to China. Pulease. That just doesn't sound like the Tempe mentality. However, promoting more disdain and frustration is. Oh, and since they aren't actually capable of staffing the airline properly they believe that adding more reserves is the answer. I remember last March there was a huge snow storm. Couple that with the changing over to the new res system and I counted at least 80 reserves out "sick" at a given time. Even with staffing "shortages" during holidays and bad weather because of their poor planning, I still don't know of anyone at any base who is actually even close to breaking guarantee. I have barely been flying and my take home pay (after taxes, insurance, 401k, union dues, etc.) has been around $1200. Pathetic, truly pathetic. :down: