FA PLOA Proffer Opened 11/11 For 1Jan to 31MAR

Skymess

Veteran
Aug 6, 2004
NY
A proffer for a PLOA is open on the Flight Service Web Site under Crew Resources. It just opened today. Here's some information about taking a PLOA.

Proffered Leave Of Absence (PLOA) Proffer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DEADLINE: November 30, 2009, 0830 CT

3 month PLOA, (January 1, 2010 - March 31, 2010)

Seniority Accrual:

Occupational Seniority - Accrues for 180 days from the first day of the LOA, or the first day of the first LOA if leaves are taken consecutively.

Classification Seniority - Does not accrue.

Company Seniority - Accrues for 90 days from the first day of the LOA, or the first day of the first LOA if leaves are taken consecutively.

Please Note:

A vacation during a leave does not start a new seniority accrual period.

Any LOA of more than 180 days will result in no further seniority accrual.

Training Requirements:

You are responsible for knowing when your qualifications will expire. You are also responsible to ensure your qualifications are up-to-date so that you can bid your next months schedule in preparation for your return to work.

Retirement:

No credit toward the Retirement Benefit plan is received.

Insurance:

You are responsible for your group insurance coverage. Your check must be received and paperwork processed prior to the effective date of the leave. See Jetnet or your Flight Service Manager for assistance.

Note: If you are on sick, maternity, or injury on duty you may bid and hold the proffer leave award. Your proffered leave will begin the day after you have cleared your sick absence.

Flight Attendants currently on an Overage Leave that ends 31Dec09 and would like to extend their time off, may do so by proffering the 3 month PLOA. If awarded the 3 month leave, your PLOA will begin after your OL ends. If your OL currently ends 31Dec09, then if awarded, your PLOA will begin (Jan) 01Jan10 through (Mar) 31Mar10.

The Great Jimdini predicts...

There will be furlough of f/as effective 01FEB10. It will be fewer than 500 f/as systemwide, and fewer than 250 f/as will be based in LGA or ORD (and that's 250 each, not together). That way neither the Federal WARN Act nor the state (NY & IL) WARN acts will be invoked. Company only has to give APFA 30 days notice.

Happy New Year all.

Great "Jimdini" lol! ...... From the Great Sunnywindi ..... Unfortunately, I think that you're chrystal ball could be close with your predictions . They're hip to the WARN Act parameters.
However, stranger things have happened. There are several variables that will come to play in the near future that will give us a more accurate "reading".

Great "Jimdini" lol! ...... From the Great Sunnywindi ..... Unfortunately, I think that you're chrystal ball could be close with your predictions . They're hip to the WARN Act parameters.
However, stranger things have happened. There are several variables that will come to play in the near future that will give us a more accurate "reading".

Like what? For those of us who are at the bottom, this is a ceaseless concern and worry. PKG is scheduled to start in April, and if the bottom 50 are furloughed, there will be insuffiicient speakers for both PVG and PKG. I know speakers are not a requirement but good luck trying to diagnose an elderly chinese person's illness midway through the pacific. Don't expect the pax to help either. During my medical emergency coming back from PVG, the pax just sat there. Thank God we had speakers.

Like what? For those of us who are at the bottom, this is a ceaseless concern and worry. PKG is scheduled to start in April, and if the bottom 50 are furloughed, there will be insuffiicient speakers for both PVG and PKG. I know speakers are not a requirement but good luck trying to diagnose an elderly chinese person's illness midway through the pacific. Don't expect the pax to help either. During my medical emergency coming back from PVG, the pax just sat there. Thank God we had speakers.

I hope that there won't be any more furlough. I can only imagine how stressful it must be for those at the bottom of the seniority list. In regards to your concen about the company not having enought speakers to operate the PVG or PKG flights my guess is that if the company did in fact ran into this situation, they would
probably do what the they do in the Haiti fligths. On the haiti flights they do not put flight attendants speakers onboard.. What they put on board are FSD flight service directors "managers" that are only onboard to do forms and deals with "language" issues.

It's PEK, not PKG. That looks like package to me. Or they could do like they did with DME. There they were called "Translators" and wore the Red jackets, like the old international departure coordinators, with our uniform.

It's PEK, not PKG. That looks like package to me. Or they could do like they did with DME. There they were called "Translators" and wore the Red jackets, like the old international departure coordinators, with our uniform.

Sounds like a SCOPE violation to me.

She doesn't know what she is talking about. Just trying to stir up trouble. The translators, do no F/A work. They translate and handle forms. That is it. Nothing else. They are in addition to the full comlement of F/A's. Just like the FSD's are also in addition to the full complement of F/A's. I think the DME translators are not called FSD's, in the fact that they were made to do office work as well. They worked 5 days a week. They had other tasks in addition to the work on the airplane. Meeting departures and arrivals everyday DME opperated, sales calls and translate letters as well among other things.

She doesn't know what she is talking about. Just trying to stir up trouble. The translators, do no F/A work. They translate and handle forms. That is it. Nothing else. They are in addition to the full comlement of F/A's. Just like the FSD's are also in addition to the full complement of F/A's. I think the DME translators are not called FSD's, in the fact that they were made to do office work as well. They worked 5 days a week. They had other tasks in addition to the work on the airplane. Meeting departures and arrivals everyday DME opperated, sales calls and translate letters as well among other things.

If you're a f/a you should be concerned about SCOPE. Look how fast the "bag assist" program was shut down. If the person performs any duty that is normally performed by a f/a it should be covered by SCOPE. Full compliment or minimum staffing. You should be trying to protect jobs.

Nancy, you have to understand that the average AA f/a sees no problem with hiring non-f/as to be speakers while speaker f/as are on furlough. Well, that is as long as she is not the flight attendant on furlough. :lol:

If it comes down to having a translator on board or nothing, I want the translator. It is not my fault AA never hired for languages unless they needed them. AA was short sighted in that regard. As long as the translators are in addition to the full compliment and don't do our job, what is the problem? AA has done it for years. They must like it as they could have hired creole speakers years ago and have made the choice not to. Some people on here just want to stir the pot while others just like to help them. No reason to make a mountain out of a mole hill. Besides AA isn't going to keep 500 extra F/A's on payroll, just so they can get 5 to 10 CM speakers. It would be nice, but not going to happen. Maybe they will hire the furloughed CM speakers to be translators if it comes to that. Will you have a problem with that scenario as well? AA will just go to places like China with no speakers if it comes to it. Then AA would be at a competitive disadvantage. Want that as well? Or would you rather they drop the flight instead?

If it comes down to having a translator on board or nothing, I want the translator. It is not my fault AA never hired for languages unless they needed them. AA was short sighted in that regard. As long as the translators are in addition to the full compliment and don't do our job, what is the problem? AA has done it for years. They must like it as they could have hired creole speakers years ago and have made the choice not to. Some people on here just want to stir the pot while others just like to help them. No reason to make a mountain out of a mole hill. Besides AA isn't going to keep 500 extra F/A's on payroll, just so they can get 5 to 10 CM speakers. It would be nice, but not going to happen. Maybe they will hire the furloughed CM speakers to be translators if it comes to that. Will you have a problem with that scenario as well? AA will just go to places like China with no speakers if it comes to it. Then AA would be at a competitive disadvantage. Want that as well? Or would you rather they drop the flight instead?

I expect them(AA) to staff the planes with f/as. You say full compliment. Is that maximum coverage, acceptable coverage or minimum crew. Where do you draw the line on someone working on the plane that isn't a f/a. Many thought the "bag assist" people were ok because it was "easier" but easy or not it was a SCOPE violatiion. So you think I'm stiring the pot because it has "always" been done this way...There hasn't been a loss of 6000 jobs in the past and if you don't protect your career now, who will be on the plane next to make it "easier"? How about minimum staffing as f/as, a non f/a speaker, a chef, a trash person, a nurse, a mechanic, all providing "services" that a f/a now provides on any given flight. SCOPE!

I expect them(AA) to staff the planes with f/as. You say full compliment. Is that maximum coverage, acceptable coverage or minimum crew. Where do you draw the line on someone working on the plane that isn't a f/a. Many thought the "bag assist" people were ok because it was "easier" but easy or not it was a SCOPE violatiion. So you think I'm stiring the pot because it has "always" been done this way...There hasn't been a loss of 6000 jobs in the past and if you don't protect your career now, who will be on the plane next to make it "easier"? How about minimum staffing as f/as, a non f/a speaker, a chef, a trash person, a nurse, a mechanic, all providing "services" that a f/a now provides on any given flight. SCOPE!

And most of all I want Byron to keep his job (for which he is qualified) and so should you! Yes, at any cost.

And most of all I want Byron to keep his job (for which he is qualified) and so should you! Yes, at any cost.

but aren't you the one who said would be helping AA Management against the Union from presenting a decent contract to the FAs as well?
I don't get it, you want this Byron to keep his job but on the other hand, until the Union gets some kind of strong contract language, which would include SCOPE, and will most definitely help "byron" keep his job, you're helping management against them from achieving it thru any job action they come up with to pressure management, unless the union gives in to your demands of full seniority for TWA? Sounds a lot like extortion to me.

why should people listen to you now?