False accusation, threat, harassment

1 VF-1 2NV

Advanced
Mar 12, 2006
Incident happened late last week here in Las Vegas. The story:

1. Clerk goes on a 757, on the next gate, to wash up in the mid lavatory after loading three carts in the aft cargo of another 757 (closer than going to the breakroom).

2. Then proceeds to the first class cabin to scour for magazines. Then spots a red pouch/bag on a seat in the middle of the cabin, picks it up and opens to see what is inside. At that moment, csm comes into the plane (to grab 2 coffee pots in the 1st class galley ) and sees clerk place the pouch back onto the seat. As csm grabs the coffee pots and makes his way back to the clerk, both exchange hello's and how are you doing?

3. Both men leave the 757 with the csm leading and the clerk right behind him. The csm passes another csm and says something to the 2nd csm, which the 2nd csm admits the 1st csm told him that he saw the clerk steal alcohol in the galley.

4. 2nd csm asks the clerk if he took anything of the plane because he was told the 1st csm saw him steal alcohol which the clerk says no.

5. Clerk confronts the 1st csm and asks why is he telling the 2nd csm that HE SAW him steal alcohol when in fact the clerk did not even make his way to the galley.

6. Words are exchanged and the 1st csm sticks out his chest (he's at least 6 feet tall, the clerk is 5ft 8in) at the clerk and supposedly hits him with his chest. 2nd csm steps between the 2 and tries to diffuse the situation. A few more words were exchanged and both 1st csm and clerk are admant about their sides of the story.

7. Remember the red pouch in the first class cabin? Well, the 1st csm is SO SURE that they will find something in the bag. Well, both csm's and the clerk go up to the first class cabin and what do they find? NOTHING. Frickin bag is EMPTY!

8. Well the 1st csm was proven wrong, but initially refused to apologize. We went as far as to say that "HE LOOKED SUSPICIOUS" and "I WILL GET YOU" to the clerk.

9. This particular CSM has only been in Las Vegas for 2 weeks, from PHL I hear, and falsely accuses one of the best workers at the station. He didn't even introduce himself to anyone on nights. If he did, he would realize the crews at night are team players.

10. IN MY OPINION, I think the clerk was falsely accused because of the way he looks. If you didn't know him, he looks like a trouble maker. Long bushy hair, full mustache. He looks like a thug, but he is a hard worker and rarely complains about his work.

11. The clerk is now stressed out because of the accusations and threat. Luckily for him, another clerk was behind him and witnessed and heard everything so was the csm that stood between them.

12. The clerk has decided to pursue this matter for disciplinary action. The union steward wants to settle this "in house", but most clerks at the station want him to pursue this further.

13. What are his options? Anyone?

The union needs to pursue for disciplinary action against the CSM and accept nothing but the CSM's firing. Intentionally accusing someone falsely of stealing should be grounds for termination.

The "He Looked Suspicious" and "I Will Get You" comments might warrant a Rule 32 investigation

1 VF-1 2NV,

If he's ABSOLUTELY commited to getting that POS fired, there is one 99.9% sure way to go about it.

(This came from the INFAMOUS BOS/AF...1987 case, that Eolesen is VERY familiar with)

GET AN OUTSIDE LAWYER !!

Go to the chicken SHET local, and tell them that the clerk will let THEM do the Investigation, but if they deviate from the "outstanding" proof that the clerk has, that his Attorney will Sue the Union!
(This way there, the union can "grab all the gravy", without doing any legwork)

It's AMAZING how much BALLS little and Co. can come up with, when/if they're being DEPOSED !!

This method has a very high success rate.
The 2nd csm, because of the other clerk, could'nt change his story, even if he wanted to.

Even if you guys have to "pass the hat" to help for your friends Attorney, it will be money WELL SPENT.
Past Practice(if this thing goes in your favor) can have Gigantic positive effects for years to come, in your station.
It sends a crystal clear message to HDQ(on down) that LAS will stick together in serious cases like this.
Trust me, the POS TWU likes to "hang" with the STRENGHT. If you guys prevail, you'll have them "eating out of your hand"

As Nike says..."Just DO IT" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The union needs to pursue for disciplinary action against the CSM and accept nothing but the CSM's firing. Intentionally accusing someone falsely of stealing should be grounds for termination.

Agreed - the csm should be terminated.

Unfortunately, lying like this about a fellow worker has all the hallmarks of aspiring management personnel. The individual in question will probably take a company job.

Thanks for the replies. What is rule 32 and where can I find it?
Rule 32 is your catch-all harassment rule. I would file it directly through headquarters and not locally through your station as it will most likely be squashed by your local management. In addition you should file a grievance for this harassment through your local. Info on rule 32 can be found in jetnet, just do a search on rule 32, and it will instruct you on what to do. <_<

Rule 32 only applies when the company wants it to.
File the grievance and get the witness statement/s immediately. File the Rule 32 through headquarters like AMFAMAN stated, NOT throught your station management.

A threat was made, and that constitutes job harassement, which according to Arpey, "will not be tolerated". Most the time, this is only true when the threat is made by a non-management employee. Management and various "Company Favored Suck-ups" can commit these infractions at will, and it will be swept under the rug nearly every time.

I'll be very surprised if you succeed in getting this CSM reprimanded, let alone terminated.

Good luck.

I actually agree with the steward -- be grown-ups and work it out between the people involved, instead of trying to seek retribution and blow it further out of proportion than it already did on the aircraft... You really have to step over the line to get fired for a single incident, and I don't know that he did. It's a case of he-said-he-said, and that's not enough to go by in my opinion...

Sounds like the CSM is a real prick, and if he is really that much of an ass, he'll probably do something else that is just as stupid, even if it's obvious that the union is watching his every move. Then you've got a pattern of harassment to go with as opposed to a single event.

I actually agree with the steward -- be grown-ups and work it out between the people involved, instead of trying to seek retribution and blow it further out of proportion than it already did on the aircraft... You really have to step over the line to get fired for a single incident, and I don't know that he did. It's a case of he-said-he-said, and that's not enough to go by in my opinion...

Sounds like the CSM is a real prick, and if he is really that much of an ass, he'll probably do something else that is just as stupid, even if it's obvious that the union is watching his every move. Then you've got a pattern of harassment to go with as opposed to a single event.
Are you smellin' what your shovelin'??? If the tables were turned Eric, would the CSM dick or any member of manAAgement for that matter overlook; a false accusation, a threat, a slur, and then physical contact? Would you as omnipotent manAAgement??? Woo-Wee, sumptin' stinks!!!! Not on your life or your mothers!!!! The employee would be walked out so fast his head would spin!!!! You know it, and so do I.

The fact that Arpey has just recently stated in a system wide letter to ALL employees that on the job harassment, threats, and unwanted physical contact "Will not be tolerated". I guess that "Enhanced Rule 32" only applies to the union workers, management and it's "company agents" can violate with impunity, no worries.

Apparently this CSM dick has a serious power/ego problem, and if what has been discribed is accurate, he needs to be dropped kicked out the door.... no more BS. End of story.

So far the whole story is a story, heresay! And you guys are going to fire somebody for something somebody heard 2nd hand? Shame on you...

The CSM dropped the ball, he should have just noted the incident, filed whatever reports with his/her superiors and sent a copy to Corporate security. That's it.

The cost of a miniature liquor cots a company like AA, less than 25 cents each. The cost of a prolonged arbitrated labor trial, could cost AA thousands of dollars.

Bluster all you want to about Rule 32, but the goal isn't to fire everyone who hurts someone else's feelings. It's to make sure people aren't being targeted or harassed because of their race, sex, religion, or sexual preference. At least that's what I learned in Rule 32 class a few years back.

Threatening an employee isn't as simple "I'm going to get you" -- it's more along the lines of "if I had a gun, I'd blow your f***in Dago head off" or "Hey, faggot, I'm going to kick the sh*t out of you after work" or leaving a noose in a mechanic's locker.

And the shop steward knows that.

If he's truly an idiot, he'll do something else. Build a case. If you go for the throat now, and lose in arbitration (likely given that it's heresay), the next time the CSM does something really stupid, he'll be the one claiming harassment and false accusation...

Latest posts