Fare mix up from BGI to LAX and DFW

Andre1980

Advanced
Sep 8, 2003
Yesterday AA made an error in the local newspaper for its fare sale advertisement which caused the Lax fare to be printed as $509bds($250usd) and DFW fare to be printed as$486.00bds (244usd).The indivdual (from headquaters) who put the fares in the ad forgot or mistakenly converted thoes two fares from usd to bds dollars although the other fares advertised were in bds dollars. However, AA was not able to honour the fares yesterday since they were not in the system(29sep06) but we did so today for only one day.The fare today was 433.30bds(216.50usd) Not to my surprise our customers snatched up thoes lax fares like hot cakes (lax is a popular shoppind destination and average fares to Lax are around $1400BDS) I had to do overtime since there were so many people taking advantage of this deal some even buying 3 tickets for themselves. I wonder how much this error cost AA since that fare was way cheaper than a D3 pass and not too far off from a D2 or D1 fare and also those customers will be earning a large number of advantage miles since some of them are connecting through JFK.

Give the responsible party a healty bonus before he/she leaves the company for the competition.

The minute they change their travel dates (which happens a lot more than you'd think), they'll be paying the real fare, so chances are that some of those tickets will wind up being unused since it will be cheaper to buy a new ticket than to pay the fare increase plus the change penalty (which also happens more than you'd think...).

...it's likely that they lost their job. Inventory was probably reduced even further to limit the bleed, but some exposure has to remain. The tough world of airline pricing...

...it's likely that they lost their job.

Oh, I doubt it. For every mixup like this that you here of, there are probably another dozen that people don't pick up on, so if everyone who put a ultra-cheap fare out for sale was fired, there'd be nobody left in revenue management (which may or may not be a good thing...).